• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flippy high speed driver?

Flippy distance driver does not equal half the discs being mentioned in here. ^specially a sword?!

You don't want a truly flippy distance driver unless you cant throw over 300' or have extreme tailwinds you throw longer holes in but even then not needed.

A beat-in stable DD always better.

Hence the question mark. I've seen and heard of many people using TP Swords as their tailwind/flippy DD.

star tern

I don't have the distance you have but, have tried a few disc for this slot. Beat pro katana was close. Now my money long Anny's are with a new 175 star tern. Easy setup consistent tern(see what I did there) with long glide finish.

Hence the question mark. I've seen and heard of many people using TP Swords as their tailwind/flippy DD.

Agreed the 174 tp sword I threw was quite understable and it was in good condition. I also owned a 172 opto that I bought new it was a very straight flyer and beat into a fairly understable disc pretty quickly. Great for bombing.

I am a destroyer thrower and I would recommend just trying to beat your neutral one to under stable and replace it with another neutral. Star destroyers work great for this
:thmbup: I am also a Destroyer thrower & ThrowinGhost hit the nail on the head. I cycle Star Destroyers & carry 5 in my bag at all times. Just give your neutral Star Destroyer some time & it will become flippy. Once your neutral Destroyer becomes flippy just throw in another Star Destroyer & keep the cycle going. A Pro Destro would work also but as Horsman said they can get quite finicky. Quite a few Innova pros cycle Star Destroyers (McBeth, Avery, Philo, Drew Gibson etc.).

Not bashing on you-- its just a truly "flippy disc" is something like an Unlace or beat-in blizzard katana like discs where you literally cannot throw them with any decent form or power from flat without it actually FLIPPING into the ground. Any middle of the road stability disc no matter who says they use it for what should NEVER do that. Just know some on here are nuts. :popcorn::p

the tern is the way to go for this one.. maybe not so much for rollers but i have had great success over 300 easy with a nice and easy throw with a star 167 tern. great glide and awesome for those shots left to right that call for a nice glide at the end

get a star sidewinder, im surprised nobody has been saying that. I have a pre # old one and it works good for turnovers.

get a star sidewinder, im surprised nobody has been saying that. I have a pre # old one and it works good for turnovers.

its not high speed. its my high speed but thats only cuz i dont throw over speed 9. when i think of high speed its speed 12-13

OP-tern it up

I have a fuzion traspass I just bought and it is super flippy. I lost one earlier in the year and they r definitely not the same. This disc flies like a beat in wraith. Super flippy I turned it over from hyzer in a tailwind and I don't throw mega distance. I'm on the fence whether to keep it or not. I already have a disc for that spot in the bag but a beat in trespass is an option

As far as easy distance though, unless it's a headwind a valkyrie is hard to beat. Even after you beat one flippy just throw it at 60% on a hyzer and watch it go.

Hadn't read thru all of this, but has someone mentioned a Vulcan or Katana yet?

I too was looking for this item as well...For my driver set up Fairways are set Understable-F7
Stable - F5
Overstable - F2

Main drivers
Understable - roadrunner
Stable/OS - Surge

Max D Understable - Crank
Max D Stable - D3
Max D Overstable - Crush/D2

Its that MAX D Understable that is hard to find....Because its so wide rimmed the disc usually has a fade to it otherwise it wouldnt be that fast. So even a D4 has fade, and D5....I may have to look into that.

But for now I'll use the Crank...I think I'll be ok

If you have an over 400' arm, Champion Tern.

If you have an under 400' arm, Star Tern.

Tern is always the right answer ;)

Last edited:
If you have an over 400' arm, Champion Tern.

If you have an under 400' arm, Star Tern.

Tern is always the right answer ;)

Seconded. However, at least for me, the tern can sometimes be a little too unpredictable and they have a tendency to lose height quickly when they begin to fight out of their turn. I've been liking the Renegade for similar shots recently, and it comes in sweet Latitude plastics.