• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flippy high speed driver?

Seconded. However, at least for me, the tern can sometimes be a little too unpredictable and they have a tendency to lose height quickly when they begin to fight out of their turn. I've been liking the Renegade for similar shots recently, and it comes in sweet Latitude plastics.

I agree with you on this (bolded), it can be sometimes a real pain in the ass. My tern is really predictable, but you have to throw it at just the right angle, otherwise it will turn 'n burn.

But when it flies correctly, the flight is just plain beautiful.

How does the Star Tern compare to the Mamba in stability?

I have a couple 148/149 CH Mambas, a 170 CH FR Mamba, but I haven't thrown them for a long time.(I don't like CH)
over the summer I picked up a 168 Star Mamba, a 167 Star Tern, and a 169 CH Tern in players packs

I kinda feel like the Terns are too fast for my noodle arm, but maybe not.

How close are the Mamba and Star Tern?

Last edited:
Mamba is a true understable distance driver so its going to get more D and behave less OS than the slower but more HSS terns. Stars can/will flip specially flat ones it seems like but overall the Mamba is an "easier" disc to throw far if not reaching 350' power already.

Inbounds doesn't give you an idea of power level & speed rating which is where the biggest part of disc ratings are impacted b/c they are all designed for a set speed- any deviation from those and the disc acts different. Only flight chart IMO which can help you decipher those things for your own personal throw is Joe's Flight Chart from GGGT.

Mamba is a true understable distance driver so its going to get more D and behave less OS than the slower but more HSS terns. Stars can/will flip specially flat ones it seems like but overall the Mamba is an "easier" disc to throw far if not reaching 350' power already.
????
Mambas are speed 11 and Terns are speed 12
there is also a big difference in rim width, with the Terns being a lot wider

Oh, my fault.

The Champion one is definitely more stable, a lot like a Crank or something. Will not turn over if you throw under 300 feet, if you throw 350 feet, will give a nice S-curve. The champion one will start to work as a really good anhyzer disc if you throw over 400' approximately.

The star on the other hand is much closer to a Mamba, but still more HSS. Will give that S-curve at 300 feet, will become an anny disc at approximately 350'. A lot easier to throw than the champion Tern.

The rim is bigger yes (2,3 - 2,1), and I would have to say that the Tern is slightly faster (if you have the power to throw it!), but not by much. The Tern will work better as a workhorse driver, but the Mamba will be a nice anny disc.

????
Mambas are speed 11 and Terns are speed 12
there is also a big difference in rim width, with the Terns being a lot wider

Dyslexia... Lol sorry on phone' yes you are right doesn't change what i was saying. Tern will be more OS even in star but not compared to its champ self. The speed difference can really impact how they behave if you are right at the power threshold and 11 speed up to 12 is a decent jump in many molds.

chap tern is much more OS than the star tern.. i have been using a star tern lately and have loved it for special drives when it comes to a bank right or a big hyzer flip. The star tern is pretty darn fast compared to my more controllable d4, but i would have to say that the blizzard katana is the flippiest and fasters driver i have in the bag! the thing has no control at all and it just flies.. forever.
Early this fall only 4 months into the game i could hit 400 easy and its just ridiculously uncontrollable yet fast haha
love the star tern though

Latest posts