• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] For the love of LEGACY

Gravity is more like a firmer JK Pro than DX in my experience.

for the record (for me at least), the new DX Roc3s I have are pretty much what I might consider stiff JK-ish. So the comparison to harder JK and DX might be saying the same thing ? That said, I dont think its across a whole run of DX. Just my Roc3s as my Thunderbirds are very hard.

Right, I think there's a wide variety of firmness in "DX" and "JK" plastic. So we're probably all talking about the same thing. For the record, my experience with Excel and Gravity is limited to different shades of Orange. So I'll default to others who probably have more colors/types in their collections.

Although theres some discussion on a couple of these, I think Im pretty clear on at least what to expect. My only concern is the Icon. It was said to by like the old firm star plastic, but I have a couple Icons that are far from firm. Is this dependent on mold/color maybe? Or are my soft grippy icon rival/patriot misfits?

Maybe more dependent on weight. All of the icon discs I've gotten have been relatively firm regardless of color or mold, but they have also all been pretty heavy. I've tried white, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue, green. All pretty firm except my SR Blue Icon Outlaw, which was 167g and fairly flexible.

I know with Pinnacle, the weight has a big influence on flexibility. My 174 Patriots are really firm, but my 166 is totally flexible and gummy. My 167 Pinn Outlaw is really flexible.

Maybe more dependent on weight. All of the icon discs I've gotten have been relatively firm regardless of color or mold, but they have also all been pretty heavy. I've tried white, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue, green. All pretty firm except my SR Blue Icon Outlaw, which was 167g and fairly flexible.

I know with Pinnacle, the weight has a big influence on flexibility. My 174 Patriots are really firm, but my 166 is totally flexible and gummy. My 167 Pinn Outlaw is really flexible.

this could be exactly it. My Rival is a 165 and flexible. The Patriot is, I believe, 168? and a little less flexible but definitely not firm. Also just got a Pinnacle Patriot that is pretty firm and in the lower 170s. I do like seems like the preferred softness/firmness for me will be right in the high 160s/low 170s which is where I live most of the time other than mids

fwiw majority of my icon bandits have some flex in the plastic and oh so grippy :).. i throw 163-168gs though fwiw

fwiw majority of my icon bandits have some flex in the plastic and oh so grippy :).. i throw 163-168gs though fwiw

Yes, I have also found the lighter-weight Icons to be fairly flexible. I've owned Icon Outlaws, Rivals, and Patriots in the 166-169g range and they were all that way. The one max-weight Icon Rival I had was quite stiff, though.

Pinnacle has been all over the place in my experience. The max-weight pinnacle Rivals I have are stiff. The Patriots I have are all in the 170-173 range and they are all a bit gummy, but not super flexible. My Pinnacle Outlaws, first and second runs, have all been very soft regardless of the weight.

My stable fairway/control driver slot is the latest area where I have total indecision, and am jumping from mold to mold. Decided to give Rivals another shot. The 2 or 3 that I've tried in the past were not stable enough for what I was looking for, so I went with "known stable" variations this time to see how they fly.

Picked up a blue Pinnacle from Quinum's FSOT thread, and two Legends (pink and gunmetal) from Marin Disc Sports. Really hoping these can put an end to the stable driver game I've been playing, and I can move on to obsessing over some other part of my setup, like:

Which plastic for my stable Ghost?
Should I be throwing rollers with the Mongoose or Nemesis?
Why am I never happy with my bag, no matter how well I'm throwing?

My stable fairway/control driver slot is the latest area where I have total indecision, and am jumping from mold to mold. Decided to give Rivals another shot. The 2 or 3 that I've tried in the past were not stable enough for what I was looking for, so I went with "known stable" variations this time to see how they fly.

Picked up a blue Pinnacle from Quinum's FSOT thread, and two Legends (pink and gunmetal) from Marin Disc Sports. Really hoping these can put an end to the stable driver game I've been playing, and I can move on to obsessing over some other part of my setup, like:

Which plastic for my stable Ghost?
Should I be throwing rollers with the Mongoose or Nemesis?
Why am I never happy with my bag, no matter how well I'm throwing?

For Rivals, I also like the flat heavy salmon Pinnacles for OS (by Rival standards).

For OS Ghosts, I still use a flat FR blue Pinnacle, but SR purples and more recently the CenCal clear and flag dyed USDGC Pinny Ghosts are nice and OS (again, by Ghost standards). The current run of Protege start off nice and stable and beat in beautifully, but have a slight dome. They can be flattened, if you're into that sort of thing.

I prefer the Mongoose for rollers most of the time - the Nemesis seemed to want to finish more right. I personally use a purple Legend Mangoose (it's quite stable compared to FR Icon Geese)

For Rivals, I also like the flat heavy salmon Pinnacles for OS (by Rival standards).

For OS Ghosts, I still use a flat FR blue Pinnacle, but SR purples and more recently the CenCal clear and flag dyed USDGC Pinny Ghosts are nice and OS (again, by Ghost standards). The current run of Protege start off nice and stable and beat in beautifully, but have a slight dome. They can be flattened, if you're into that sort of thing.

I prefer the Mongoose for rollers most of the time - the Nemesis seemed to want to finish more right. I personally use a purple Legend Mangoose (it's quite stable compared to FR Icon Geese)

Sounds like if I don't like one of the Rivals, I should try flipping it for a Legend Mongoose. I'm pretty happy with my current Sparkle Nemesis, but that's always a slot that I'm willing to mess around with.

I flattened a Protege Ghost and it lost a lot of stability. It went from zero turn to a -1 or -2 right away. Definitely tracks to the right now.

Sounds like if I don't like one of the Rivals, I should try flipping it for a Legend Mongoose. I'm pretty happy with my current Sparkle Nemesis, but that's always a slot that I'm willing to mess around with.

I flattened a Protege Ghost and it lost a lot of stability. It went from zero turn to a -1 or -2 right away. Definitely tracks to the right now.

The Mangoose will turn, just not like the FR Icons ( released / would flip and roll).
I flattened a Protege Ghost, but haven't really done anything with it since. Interesting about the stability change - good to know.

Some of my favorite Rivals are the 165g salmon Icons. Great gummy feel and total line shapers. Purple Legend Rivals are also a thing of beauty for the straight to fade slot. Really, any mold in purple Legend is fantastic. Those are my favorite Outlaws, Rivals, and Mongeese and while I don't throw the mold, my buddy swears by the purp Legend Pats.

Just a quick FYI...

CCDG is advertising their promo/discount code at Marin Disc Sports-"CCDG15" for a 15% discount!

Nice :D !

Someone tell me about protege plastic. I felt it up one time and I wasn't impressed. Unfortunately the prowler is VERY limited in heavy blue gravity plastic which seemed grippy and great. I do however see that a lot of legacy fanatics have their fair share of protege. Does it get grippier? I'm looking to get away from the voodoo in order to obtain more consistency, but unsure about protege.

TIA

Well I threw the Fighter for the first time yesterday at Nockamixon and all I can say is that disk is super beefy. That disc has barely any glide and just wants to dump to the left in a hurry. Works great for hyzer spikes and hard S turns thrown on a anny. The disc will not turn over for me no matter how much anny I put on it.

Can someone tell me how the different colors of SR pinnlaw fly?
All are big wind discs for my normal 400-425' icon outlaw power. The Orange gummy I have is lucky to see 350' on a huge flex line in less than 10mph headwind conditions.

my 2nd run pinlaws least to most overstable:
light yellow/orange
light yellow/orange
green
white
aqua
orange

All 172g+

Last edited:
My lavender 175 are as beefy as my white SR pinlaw, however all of my pink 169 FR/SR pinlaws are the same stability imo.

I am curious to find out if anyone knows if Legacy is looking to eventually create a Thunderbird/PD clone in the near-ish future. It seems to be a giant hole in their lineup and the idea of a Pinnacle Thunderbird makes me grin like an idiot just thinking about it...

I am curious to find out if anyone knows if Legacy is looking to eventually create a Thunderbird/PD clone in the near-ish future. It seems to be a giant hole in their lineup and the idea of a Pinnacle Thunderbird makes me grin like an idiot just thinking about it...

the Phenom

Phenom is not nearly as stable as a TB or PD. Even the red BOTA Icons. More like a TL

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Latest posts