• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] For the love of LEGACY

I never really gave the Cannon a real shot. Maybe I need to pick up an Icon and give it some field work. What weight are you guys throwing? Disc Golf Center has some in the upper 160's that I might try.

Mine are all 3 just over 170. I bet a 168ish would absolutely smash though.

I made the switch when they first came out and haven't looked back! Don't even have any "just in case" Magnets any more - sold them all off. I have probably 15 white 173 Gravity for putting practice:)

I've been hoarding the LE Magnets for a while now, plus the good soft ones that are slightly concave off the shelf. Down to 2 good softs, a 4 chain, and about 10 LE's right now. It would make me cry to sell them:eek: I need a better stack of Clutches and more time with them before that, but I'm thinking the Mags may be going the way of the dinosaur.

I never really gave the Cannon a real shot. Maybe I need to pick up an Icon and give it some field work. What weight are you guys throwing? Disc Golf Center has some in the upper 160's that I might try.

I currently have four of them. Icon Blue 175, Icon Purple and White 167, Pinnacle Light Blue 168.

Of those, Icon White is my go-to disc, even narrow wooded lanes I seem to do best with it, it gives some turn, but usually ends up about center of the aim thanks to fade, unless thrown too high, in which case fade takes it right of center (RHFH). It can handle my OAT :( without turning over on a normal pull. Pinnacle is newer, but a touch more US than the Icon White, bit of overlap there.

Purple? Well, from reading about Cannons, flippy kept coming up, but yeah, that thing is just fliptastic. If it goes like I want it to, it's up there, but the margin of not turning it over is a bit too small at this stage, so it hits the bag least of those. And headwind, while I might throw the White (more likely Blue, see below) into slight breezes, the Purple, even from a hyzer release, will flip flat and turn over, ending a good 60+ feet left of center (RHFH again) Compared to the White, Purple is more domey, but it's also of the different Icon plastic type, the one I call gummy-plastic (same as the Red Icon Rampage and SR Orange Outlaw), compared to Blue Icon which has plasticy-plastic (much more rigid).

Finally we have the Icon Blue, which, not exactly sure why, but it's more OS than my 174 Red Icon Rampage. If I'm throwing Legacy into headwind (not so much headwind that I feel the need to pull out my 175 VIP Giant), Blue Icon gets the call more often than not over the Rampage.

I've tried the Cannon but the rim is too wide for me to want to carry many, I bag Outlaws for the old destroyer spot...4 of them now.

I've tried the Cannon but the rim is too wide for me to want to carry many, I bag Outlaws for the old destroyer spot...4 of them now.

same here, i just cannot get consistent good releases with the 14 speed rims.. i get nearly the distance with my outlaws and more control. and i have 5, a grinder (x-out) white icon thats a bit more OS than the rest of my icons for big fade, skips headwinds, then 2 identical blue FR icons that i like to alternate between so they break in slowly (my main dogs), a legend that i use for forehands because its more HSS and a freaky beat in FR Yellow 166g icon that has a lot of turn, i can roll it or get huge turnovers. they all cover every shot i could need at this point, nothing better than trusting one mold to cover everything for drivers.

I have a 168 salmon cannon that is a thing of beauty. One of my favorite discs. I like to use it in a headwind and longer distance shots.

Funnily enough, I prefer higher speed stuff from a rim width/wing size perspective, they fit nicely for my thick fingers, whereas midranges (and putters though I really don't drive with them), with no wing and thick/deep rims, I have issues getting a comfortable grip (and release especially with forehand). Even putting the index finger on the rim for backhand shots as opposed to full four finger power grip doesn't help that much.

Used to carry the flippy cannons, but have since switched to a bleeder (flat top with a little high speed turn to make it go super far), and a 169 aqua pinnacle for more stable bombing. I've also recently moved more towards the outlaws for control after so many times finding the ropes by inches on a skip.

I'm surprised to see no talk of the new battle of the aces mold! According to Steve Rico, it's a fairway driver and they're calling it the phenom

yt21UeG.jpg

Phenom is a good name for a disc, im thinking these are the more OS compliment to the Rival, something like a Banshee or 11x/CE Eagle

Phenom is a good name for a disc,

Do we need/will we get Deadman and Undertaker too :D ?

I've also recently moved more towards the outlaws for control after so many times finding the ropes by inches on a skip.

Strange, at least my FR Outlaw outskips my four Cannons' skip distance on most shots.

Last edited:
Hmm... Phenom... Perhaps they had a bad reaction to the Enemy name they announced earlier.

if they didn't misspeak this is a fairway driver, not a control driver. the Enemy is a Control Driver.

Rival and Patriot are fairway drivers, this will likely be the more overstable disc for headwind

Strange, at least my FR Outlaw outskips my four Cannons' skip distance on most shots.
This revelation came to me during an A Tier in NM. Part of it was the 8k elevation and perfectly manicured golf grass. The first two rounds were full of mistakes, and a lot of it was being aggressive with the Cannons. On the last day I used the blue FR outlaw for any distance shots that required placement and improved by 11 strokes on my previous best score at that course.

It could be that I'm throwing the Cannons generally higher than the Outlaw, thus they come down at a steeper angle (though recalling the 1st hole at the closest local course where I've used both to tee off, not the case). But the FR Outlaw (175 Purple) is only second to my VIP Giant in terms of long-ass skips, it might even reach the Giant's skips, but for some reason, Outlaw tends to do more high-up skips than low skips forward. Still, if I need to trust to fade and get a skip to get closer to the basket (dogleg or go around an obstacle with ways to go to the basket, etc.) , Outlaw gets the call over my Cannons.

For those who have experience with both, would you say Gauge = Legacy Warship? If not, what would be the difference(s) in your opinion? I'm looking to Legacy-fy ;) my bag even more.

I haven't thrown a warship but from the descriptions i have read, the Legacy Gauge sounds like the closest thing out of the box.