• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

My latest Tbird addition is a 166g. AJ that bombs. Nice and stable but I can push over on it and flex it really easily.

Man I really wanted to love the rivals but I'm still feeling the urge to get teebirds. My '17 Jen Allen I got just isn't cutting it. Thing is an absolute meathook. Now I just need to decide. Star vs champ

Man I really wanted to love the rivals but I'm still feeling the urge to get teebirds. My '17 Jen Allen I got just isn't cutting it. Thing is an absolute meathook. Now I just need to decide. Star vs champ

If the JA's are too stable try a lighter Star TB.

Found a seasoned 11x on the bay at a decent price earlier today. Excited to see how it flies. I'm hoping it will turn over like my other ones. It's so hard to replace a good turnover champ teebird. My go to is 7 years old with zero replacement currently. Hoping this one will be close to it.

I threw an old ass domey champ but it wasn't pleasing at all. What I like about the 166g. Star is that it has the TB stability, but I can turn it over to almost the end of it's flight. If I need a true turnover I mostly go to my seasoned MOLF. I can't wait until I get enough "knocked off" of my max weight star TB to be a true turnover TB. Loving this disc lately I've been leaning on it heavily lately.

Anyone notice that recent teebirds have some pretty sloppy molding characteristics? Specifically, it would seem that the bottom wing overlaps the top (IIRC, could be vice versa) and creates a bit of a shelf and a sharp lip between the two halves. I have noticed the same thing on some other molds, Buzzzes in particular as well.

Not a big deal really, but for those who hand feel is important to, kind of a bummer. I would go as far as to say that it seems like a lot of discs these days go on the shelf super janky, to the point where when I pick up something that was molded and deflashed thoroughly and with care, it's jarring. I have taken to hitting all new bagged discs with a sanding block to clean up flashing and nasty molding imperfections like the one described above.

Anyone notice that recent teebirds have some pretty sloppy molding characteristics? Specifically, it would seem that the bottom wing overlaps the top (IIRC, could be vice versa) and creates a bit of a shelf and a sharp lip between the two halves. I have noticed the same thing on some other molds, Buzzzes in particular as well.

Not a big deal really, but for those who hand feel is important to, kind of a bummer. I would go as far as to say that it seems like a lot of discs these days go on the shelf super janky, to the point where when I pick up something that was molded and deflashed thoroughly and with care, it's jarring. I have taken to hitting all new bagged discs with a sanding block to clean up flashing and nasty molding imperfections like the one described above.

Any way you could provide visual evidence, since I think I know what you mean, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any way you could provide visual evidence, since I think I know what you mean, but I'm not 100% sure.

Attached a paint scribble.

On the discs I've noticed the ill fitting top (or bottom), it would seem that the mold pieces are typically well aligned on one side, where there is little to no sharp ledge, but on the other side you have this sharp ledge effect.

Wizards of late are another one I've noticed. I wonder if it's from mold pieces wearing out and/or being replaced. On Buzzzes, there are some recently molded discs that fit perfectly and have no molding imperfections, like the new Ti Buzzz I picked up for this reason. Then on the same shelf you have something recent like a ZFLX with a big nasty shelf.

Attachments

• Inked0d8fd3c9-fa40-4a2d-9075-79cbea7bf9e7Innova%20Profile%20-%20Teebird%20Star_LI (2).jpg
    Inked0d8fd3c9-fa40-4a2d-9075-79cbea7bf9e7Innova%20Profile%20-%20Teebird%20Star_LI (2).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 57

I've seen exactly this in Buzzes but not a Teebird. Though mine are all kind of old.

Attached a paint scribble.

On the discs I've noticed the ill fitting top (or bottom), it would seem that the mold pieces are typically well aligned on one side, where there is little to no sharp ledge, but on the other side you have this sharp ledge effect.

Wizards of late are another one I've noticed. I wonder if it's from mold pieces wearing out and/or being replaced. On Buzzzes, there are some recently molded discs that fit perfectly and have no molding imperfections, like the new Ti Buzzz I picked up for this reason. Then on the same shelf you have something recent like a ZFLX with a big nasty shelf.

I thought you were talking about the inner rim. I've had 3 or 4 discs that have a divot in the rim instead of the rim being straight (JK Aviar, PD, TB?). That's why I asked for visual evidence.

I've seen this in numerous discs, from multiple manufacturers. I think it's just part of molding plastic, and ultimately a QC issue although a minor on IMO.

This might be right behind flashing as a "minor" QC issue that utterly ruins hand feel. And this one is harder to fix with a sanding block. :\

ill also echo i noticed this on my buzz z flx

Yea, it's more major than someone forgetting to remove flashing. Most of mine have been < .5mm of offset though, are you seeing more than this?

Noooo, I'd say not much more, just less than 1mm total typically. I am mostly curious how this happens, I would assume the process of lining up the mold pieces would be pretty foolproof. Is it instead that some plastics get different top or bottom pieces, and so runs from around the same time could have this issue vs no?

Seriously considering busting out the power tools on some of these.

Noooo, I'd say not much more, just less than 1mm total typically. I am mostly curious how this happens, I would assume the process of lining up the mold pieces would be pretty foolproof. Is it instead that some plastics get different top or bottom pieces, and so runs from around the same time could have this issue vs no?

My guess is there's some slop in the alignment pins. Be it from use, or from a replacement top or bottom of the mold.

I might be the only person throwing this mold but Mantas are really bad for this. When you remove the extra plastic they basically fly to the numbers if you leave it they fly much more overstable.
It does take a lot of work to remove the extra plastic.

My latest Tbird addition is a 166g. AJ that bombs. Nice and stable but I can push over on it and flex it really easily.

I've been thinking about picking up a 165g Star Teebird. I've got a 175g Nybo that is fairly new and beefy. I think my BH would really like a lighter weight.

I've been thinking about picking up a 165g Star Teebird. I've got a 175g Nybo that is fairly new and beefy. I think my BH would really like a lighter weight.

I've got a 175g. Star, it was a mis stamped gem at my local PIAS so X out but not F2. The 166g. Is not Any less stable, just far more workable if that makes any sense. It's like O can throw it in the same lines but it's a friggin bomber in comparison to the heavier TB. In the wind though it's the big daddy. The heavier one is far more beat and I can't wait until I get that one beat into a more workable disc. Great mold!

Latest posts