• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand disc question

KJack

I have been working on my forehand since I started playing early this year, I've been mainly using my Champion Katana. I have to hyzer flip it so it doesnt turn into a roller on big drives so I was wondering what disc I could buy that would be better for those forehand crushes.
I was thinking of maybe going with the star destroyer since it's the same brand, just wondering if its overstable enough for my forehands. Im really tall so I get lots of power behind them.

Thanks!

My primary driver for both FH and BH is a Lucid Thief. I have also had some luck with a Beast but the Thief is the right combo for me of speed, OS, etc. I bought a Flick and used it for FH for a couple of rounds but I have to put it on a huge anny to stop it from fading out super early. Since you are a power thrower, maybe try one out.

How far are you throwing the Katana?

^this is very important.

If youre getting the right distance and path out of the katana and want something more OS from innova, the boss is the same speed with less turn. You most likely wont turn it over FH like the katana. Im a big FH thrower and i threw a katana and a boss for months defore deciding to disc down and find my sweet spot. Hope that helps! :)

Attachments

• 2016-09-28 08.16.53.jpg
    2016-09-28 08.16.53.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 15
I throw it around 270-370 on a hyzer flip turnover I reckon.
I also throw that far on a backhand but without needing as much hyzer release.

My primary driver for both FH and BH is a Lucid Thief. I have also had some luck with a Beast but the Thief is the right combo for me of speed, OS, etc. I bought a Flick and used it for FH for a couple of rounds but I have to put it on a huge anny to stop it from fading out super early. Since you are a power thrower, maybe try one out.

Ill take a look at the flick thanks!

Last edited:
In my experience Katanas are particularly "high risk, high reward" discs. Even after you find a good one, it's pretty tricky finding the sweet spot between the high speed turn and the low speed fade. Yup they can be pretty, but they can also get you in tons of trouble. Some of my longest forehands were well over 400' with a champ Katana, but that disc also tended to get me in trouble because it had so much turn and would then glide quite well into places I never wanted to be. Sometimes, of course, I got into the opposite kind of trouble by not putting enough hyzer on it and fading out early.

Someone mentioned a Boss, and that's reasonable. Similar speed, but not such extreme high speed turn. Check out the feel, because it's quite a bit different from the Katana. You might want to try a Z Crank. I'd say I don't get it quite as far as that Katana, but it's a lot more friendly when I make minor mistakes.

It sounds like you're forehand form is not terrible, but I'd say make sure you can throw lower speed discs as well. A star Teebird has lots of forehand D potential, and don't forget things like Thunderbirds, TLs, or Surges. The longer I play and improve, the more I use my backhand for distance, but forehand for most approaches. In other words, try to make sure your forehand form works for all kinds of shots, from anny (right to left shots) to straight to hyzers/skips. That pays serious dividends as far as scores go.

New destroyers are very OS and will likely cause you to develop form issues.

Unfortunately, there are no magic bullets in this game for distance. The only way to throw measurably longer shots is to cultivate form that let's you be able to do this. Field work is key.

Something like a DD Trespass or Discmania DDx can go really far and might be worth checking out

Thanks for the input Armiller! I definetly feel you on the high risk high reward part of the Katana, I have this one hole on my home corse that is about 350 long and basically requires a super big forehand flex shot to reach it. Almost aced it on a try but many times I just didnt get the angle just right and its in a bad spot.
I'd say my form is decent on forehand, in the beginning i was turning my hand over when following through with my release but now I focus on holding the palm up throughout. I do use my Westside Warship for more touch shots or a hyzerflip straight shot, or the occasional anhyzer.

I do like the look of the boss, I will probably try it out when I buy some new discs Ive been thinking of.
Ill try to remember to come back to this thread and report on how it went.

Destroyer in Star has always worked well for me. One with a normal dome. An old Z Crush, bar stamp that is flat also works well for my form. Monster L in Star or Champion if you can find one. Most of the Monsters I see these days are the X mold. Monsters come in 2 different molds just like Eagles.

Throw an Orc and release it flat - that will be perfect for 270-370 power. If you find yourself turning your disc into the ground or getting a huge S curve, focus on the release instead of the disc choice.

I like FH Destroyers and XCals a lot, but they can be very OS to start and take a bit to beat in and get distance. I would look at Z Force from Discraft, it is a very consistent disc for power shots but still gets out there.

Also look into a champ Teebird or Discmania PD for straighter FH shots at a bit less distance range, if you don't have something in the slower speeds as well.

I like FH Destroyers and XCals a lot, but they can be very OS to start and take a bit to beat in and get distance. I would look at Z Force from Discraft, it is a very consistent disc for power shots but still gets out there.

Also look into a champ Teebird or Discmania PD for straighter FH shots at a bit less distance range, if you don't have something in the slower speeds as well.

I have the warship that is decent at slower speeds but I do need to hyzer flip it, maybe the PD can be better for me?

I have the warship that is decent at slower speeds but I do need to hyzer flip it, maybe the PD can be better for me?

PD is a speed 10 very stable disc, but without a massive fade if you have the velocity. If you forehand it 300-350' it will be a laser straight disc. The Force or Destroyer will be something that you can get over on release, have it hold, and count on to come back at the end for max distance...or if they have some more turn for you (depends on the specific disc) they can ride a flat to turn line for most of their flight before a consistent fade.

The PD can go very far though, but will be much straighter than the Destroyer/Force/Boss. At that point you can decide to have a PD plus the distance disc for line choice, or something like a champ Teebird will be a very straight forehand disc but likely at 20-30' or so shorter range than the PD to get more separation between it and your high speed drivers...but it will also handle being powered down a bit more easily.

The Warship is glidey and will need to be hyzer flipped, whereas the PD and Teebird can be thrown flat and line drive a lot more easily.

For example, I use champ Teebird for straight FH shots 250-300', PD for very hard FH straight shots 275-330', and a more worked in Destroyer for FH 310-350'. As well I use a very overstable Destroyer for flex/hyzer/wind/skip shots that I can't throw much more than 310' or so on a flat release. This many discs may not be necessary for you, but I do throw them all backhand as well and they have even more differences for me in those shots, as I throw my BH's farther.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man, lots to take into consideration. The 1 speed difference between the Warship and the Teebird doesn't seem like much but it looks like a good option if I can release it flat? Maybe the TeeBird3 is also good with one extra speed?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man, lots to take into consideration. The 1 speed difference between the Warship and the Teebird doesn't seem like much but it looks like a good option if I can release it flat? Maybe the TeeBird3 is also good with one extra speed?

Disc speed ratings don't mean all that much in lots of cases, but there are times where that speed rating really affects rim width/shape and changes the class of a disc.

Speed 6 is a weird area where there can be slower fairway drivers like a Leopard, or longer/faster mids like the Warship. While the Teebird and Leopard, speeds 7 and 6 respectively, can be paired together fairly often...the Warship is not like these in that it's a midrange shape/design. But the difference between the Teebird/Teebird3 is small, and mostly in how they feel in the hand (the flatter Teebird3 feels great in a forehand grip...but they often come in dark and hard to find colors). Similarly, the difference between speed 7/8 in general, and even some 8/9 is not much. Often I feel like grouping together putters, then speeds 4-5 mids, then 7-9 as control, some 9-10 as higher power control drivers, then 11+ as distance drivers.

Really the Teebird is very different in flight, stability, and design than the Warship. There is more similar between the speed 7 Teebird (a stable/overstable one) and a speed 10 PD than there is between the Teebird/Warship.

Also keep in mind everyone throws a bit differently, so for some people the Warship could be a glidey/low effort midrange, and for others it could be a distance mid that encroaches on their fairway drivers.

For what it's worth. I really like throwing mvp for forehand. They seem to be able to handle the snap very well and super consistent. Love my inertia, but it's not as beefy as an over stable Destroyer. Octane seems similar to Destroyer. I also have a lightweight Destroyer and I really like it as well. That said I'm throwing 305-330 avg, so you might be more powerful. But I doubt you'll have problems turning over Destroyer or Octane.

I like throwing my Thunderbird, Firebird and Starfire forehand. They each fly differently but are each easier to control than anything I'd have to hyzer-flip.

Star Xcaliber would be a more overstable Katana, you obviously have the rim size mastered, so maybe try one.

I really like my metal flake teebird 3. best forehand disc in my opinion (at least what i carry). I also agree with other people on the boss. I have a blizzard champion boss and its great for forehand