• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

So we were playing Phantom Falls. We're on the last few holes, which play up and down (and then up and back down again) a steep slope with a public highway at the bottom.

brentjacobs throws, I believe, a champ Roadrunner on one of the steep uphill drives. It promptly rolls back down the hill, past the tee pad, and onto the road. A nice 70's Mustang just happened to be rolling by and totally smoked the Roadrunner. This Mustang was black, and it had fancy chrome detailing around the door scoops. It hit while the RR was still moving.

That wasn't the biggest roll out that our group experienced on that hole, but it was the funniest. To me it was, anyway.

So we were playing Phantom Falls. We're on the last few holes, which play up and down (and then up and back down again) a steep slope with a public highway at the bottom.

brentjacobs throws, I believe, a champ Roadrunner on one of the steep uphill drives. It promptly rolls back down the hill, past the tee pad, and onto the road. A nice 70's Mustang just happened to be rolling by and totally smoked the Roadrunner. This Mustang was black, and it had fancy chrome detailing around the door scoops. It hit while the RR was still moving.

That wasn't the biggest roll out that our group experienced on that hole, but it was the funniest. To me it was, anyway.

That WAS funny

Today I made a dog walker go "woo" after I threw something probably like 350'+. It wasn't a Ric Flair woooo! but it was a "that went appreciably farther than I was expecting" woo. *chuckles*

At this point I'm more inspired to throw farther and farther not for my scores but just to get reactions from normies. :|

Right? I've always assumed that seeing me (or anyone) really rip a good drive would cause these...Normies*...to think, "Wow. That looks cool/fun/interesting," and to investigate further...

*Is this the accepted DG term for those who don't play, analogous to "Muggles" in the Wizarding world of bespectacled teenage magicians?

It's a serious question. :popcorn:

I've heard "Muggles" used in the disc golf context, referring to non-throwers.

"Normies" is a new term to me, but I immediately understood what it meant.

Throwing discs far when people don't expect you to is fun for sure. A few years back, some of the local pros put on a demonstration for the Big Sky State Games. They were just chucking discs out of the stadium easily, so the spectators couldn't even see how far they were going! One guy was at about 500' of power back then, and he just brought putters.

I kinda think Muggles works.

People could try making up other words but I'm sure it would not be automatic that people know what you are talking about. Almost everyone knows what Muggle means. The word was invented for the purpose of making the distinction between those that are in the know and those that are clueless. Plus I throw wizards. I'm going to start using it.

My world is divided between people who know absolutely nothing about disc golf and those who do nothing but play, think and talk about golf. No overlap at all. So I almost need a word like muggle more than I realized.

*Is this the accepted DG term for those who don't play, analogous to "Muggles" in the Wizarding world of bespectacled teenage magicians?

It's a serious question. :popcorn:

I think "Normies" is internet slang for anyone that isn't as into a certain thing as one who is the die hards. I've seen it in reference to Fantasy Football. A real FF junkie may be in 5+ leagues where a "Normie" is casually in one.

I don't know if it's still a thing, but way back in the day "whuffo" was slang among some skydivers for non-skydivers who asked "whuffo you jump out of perfectly good airplanes?"

People could try making up other words but I'm sure it would not be automatic that people know what you are talking about. Almost everyone knows what Muggle means. The word was invented for the purpose of making the distinction between those that are in the know and those that are clueless. Plus I throw wizards. I'm going to start using it.

My world is divided between people who know absolutely nothing about disc golf and those who do nothing but play, think and talk about golf. No overlap at all. So I almost need a word like muggle more than I realized.

I only know what a muggle is because of this site. I've never read/seen anything Harry Potter. You know, because I'm not a child.

*ironically goes off to talk about Beasts, Orcs, and Destroyers*

I only know what a muggle is because of this site. I've never read/seen anything Harry Potter. You know, because I'm not a child.

*ironically goes off to talk about Beasts, Orcs, and Destroyers*

Valkarie
Viking
Firebird
Roc
Etc

Latest posts