• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] FX-2 Speculation

Interesting, it's a "traditional" 10 speed.
Per pdga specs, has the same rim width as the H series, interesting move. Everyone seemed to like the new H series a lot so weird to immediately overlap like that.

KJ And Seppo have me wanting to try some of those damn discs. Such smooth players.

Throw Cale in that list as well ;-)

I've auditioned all of the new V2 molds. The H1V2, H3V2 and H4V2 are all pretty solid molds and have made the bag over the summer. I would like to see something that fits between the original H1 and H1V2 though. There's quite a gap in stability between those two molds IMO.

Being the disc whore that I am...I'll probably buy a couple of these FX-2's when they finally come out.

KJ And Seppo have me wanting to try some of those damn discs. Such smooth players.

I'm not really what I would consider a smooth player and the hyzerflip sniping I can do with a D3 is pretty crazy. It makes me look way better than I am. I also love my M4. Never thrown one of their H3s but it really makes me want to give them a try too. I just wish they had more options in lighter weights, that's the one area I find them a bit lacking.

I'm not really what I would consider a smooth player and the hyzerflip sniping I can do with a D3 is pretty crazy. It makes me look way better than I am. I also love my M4. Never thrown one of their H3s but it really makes me want to give them a try too. I just wish they had more options in lighter weights, that's the one area I find them a bit lacking.

This has been my issue with a lot of things as well. They are beginning to run a lot more molds in lower weights though.

I just wish they had more options in lighter weights, that's the one area I find them a bit lacking.

Your wish might be granted. I was reading something about them now producing more of their molds in the 150-169 range. In a quick check of a few online retailers, I saw a few molds starting to pop up with molds in that range. I picked up an H4V2 in the mid 160's the other day. I really like this mold as it powers up and down nicely for my arm speed.

What is Prodigy missing? It's got to be more than the boring disc nomenclature. It must be multiple issues adding up, like lackluster marketing, distribution, something?

I have never personally thrown a Prodigy disc, and I actively avoid them on the shelves. Don't like the feel of the plastic, don't like the stamps, the names, nothing. I guess there's just not enough to hang my hat on conceptually.

Why is it that I resonate more with Discmania? I guess as a beginner I liked Avery's clinics, but honestly the only disc I throw from them is the FD and I didn't discover that until much later in my career. Likable pros helps (Seppo and KJ are awesome though) and I guess association with Innova does too.

If I gave their discs a chance I'm sure I'd like them; every manufacturer makes good discs.

Your wish might be granted. I was reading something about them now producing more of their molds in the 150-169 range. In a quick check of a few online retailers, I saw a few molds starting to pop up with molds in that range. I picked up an H4V2 in the mid 160's the other day. I really like this mold as it powers up and down nicely for my arm speed.

You can get them now, but just in limited plastics. I'd love to see how light a 750 disc could get before they had to give it the bubble treatment.

What is Prodigy missing? It's got to be more than the boring disc nomenclature. It must be multiple issues adding up, like lackluster marketing, distribution, something?

I have never personally thrown a Prodigy disc, and I actively avoid them on the shelves. Don't like the feel of the plastic, don't like the stamps, the names, nothing. I guess there's just not enough to hang my hat on conceptually

If I gave their discs a chance I'm sure I'd like them; every manufacturer makes good discs.

IMHO Prodigy's plastics are very good. The 350g plastic is the best putting plastic I've found; I'd love it if the Marshal could be made in that plastic. The 400, 400g, and 750 plastics are good, too, and it's just a matter of the thrower's preference in deciding which is best.

Having said that, the problems (IMHO) include:
the discs are expensive, especially relative to their competitors;
the discs are often not available, and not in the plastics we want (e.g. M4 in 350g plastic);
a lot of pros left Prodigy, including well-known players like Paige Pierce and Big Jerm Koling;
I believe the 'spat' between Paige P and Prodigy hurt Prodigy, no matter who was 'right';
very poor marketing of discs and the pros that throw them;
the original H-series was pretty bad;
there was a huge gap between the H and D series, on the order of a gap between Speeds 10 and 13 with no in-between;

Prodigy used to make/sponsor vidoes of tournaments; I remember several filmed here in Georgia with Will 'Shoestrings' being on the card, but I haven't seen anything from them in recent months. That had (and has) me wondering if they're surviving, much less thriving, financially.

So all of that has added up. And all of the above is my $0.02; your (plural) opinions may vary...

I throw a lot of Prodigy because:
400 plastic is my favorite plastic
Prodigy sponsors some players near me
Prodigy X Outs at like GGGT are VERY cheap
I do wish they had some discs in the Wraith speed category, they also lose some money by not just putting out 5 new speed 14 discs every year.

I throw a lot of Prodigy because:
400 plastic is my favorite plastic
Prodigy sponsors some players near me
Prodigy X Outs at like GGGT are VERY cheap
I do wish they had some discs in the Wraith speed category, they also lose some money by not just putting out 5 new speed 14 discs every year.

I haven't personally thrown them but most of the v2 h series disc have rim width similar to the wraith which suggests a similar speed class. They may be worth checking out.

H v2's are all 10 speed, which I guess could work but I'm already losing distance from a "13ish" speed like D1 or Destro (all * Destros I've had measure 23mm) to Wraith to then give up another mm of rim.

I'd have to rethink a lot of shots, and I like Wraiths a lot to bother to switch over or find other options.

I wish they would just revamp... everything, and start fresh in 2020.

Take a hard look at their lineup, cut it in half, rename it, give seppo and KJ their own custom line ala McBeth, get them in front of the camera... probably clean house in the upper half of the company too, certainly marketing needs a shot in the arm.

Latest posts