• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] FX-2 Speculation

Anax are probably my most go to driver. The glide on them is absolutely unreal. They're not quite as OS as advertised but turning them over is... In my experience impossible.

Having bagged both H1V2'S and Anax's at the same time the H1v2's are more OS, and have significantly less glide than the Anax. Maybe an H2v2 with more glide?

But who knows until we all get our hands on them I guess. I love speculation! Lol

I found the H1v2 to be a weird combination of speed and overstability. I personally don't want something with that level of overstability to be a 10/11 speed. I don't mind the speculation/hype/whatever you want to call it; Prodigy had some of the better releases over the last couple years and part of it was due to the explanation to what each mold/flight was prior to release. I don't feel like I've received any explanation besides the minute and some change video of Dickerson saying he and Prodigy collaborated to make this mold together.

Infinite released a small number of 400G and 500 yesterday and I was able to get one of each to test out. Hopefully the weather cooperates on Tuesday when they get delivered.

I received my FX-2s a day early. Unfortunately, the weather is **** so I won't be able to throw them for a least a few days. What I can say is, based solely on feel, they are very, very Thunderbird-like. Rim depth, width, shape, feel are all extremely similar. Only weird thing is the top of both discs feel like normal 400G and 500 plastic, but the underside of the rim and flight plate feel oddly different; almost unfinished and slick. Both of them do have the first run bottom stamp so that may have something to do with it. Hopefully the weather cooperates by week's end and I can put these up against my Luster Thunderbirds and Jermbirds.

I got the chance to compare these to my Thunderbirds and I don't think the FX-2 is going to make my bag, as much as I wanted them to. Overall, I am getting more glide out of my luster and star Thunderbirds and had a little touch in terms of where I could get the disc to land depending on what angles I was putting the Thunderbird on. I don't think this is a knock on the FX-2 as much as it's proving to me Thunderbirds are really one of the best fairway/control driver molds on the market.

The FX-2 seems to have less forward fade and it kicks in sooner than any of my Thunderbirds were, even the brand new lusters. I'd put the numbers at 9/4/0/2-3. In terms of feel, the two molds are very, very similar; it's the closest Thunderbird clone I've been able to find. The FX-2 is a great 9 speed fairway driver and it's going to make a lot of folks happy, especially those big on Prodigy looking to fill that F- to H-series gap.

I got my 500 Fx-2 in the mail today..

Not overwhelmed but not underwhelmed.

Comparing it to my favourite disc, the Anax it does have a wider rim, slightly more dished too. It has a bit of dome and feels fantastic in the hand.

Looking forward to throwing it once I get a chance to go out again. Hopefully not as much of a dud as some people are saying (not just here but Facebook aswell)

Hopefully not as much of a dud as some people are saying (not just here but Facebook aswell)

I wouldn't say my opinion of the FX-2 is it's a dud, by any means. I'm just starting to come to terms with the fact that it's going to be impossible for other manufacturers to make a Thunderbird. It's just that good of a mold, IMO.

I bet folks that get into the FX-2 before they throw a Thunderbird will love the FX-2. Prodigy fanboys are going to love the FX-2. It is/will be a GREAT 9 speed driver. But I've gotten used to and love Thunderbirds so there's not really a reason for me to switch to the FX-2.

I'm very surprised if others have called the FX-2 a dud. Prodigy killed it with this release. I don't think there's a top-tier Prodigy sponsored player that isn't bagging an FX-2. Not that that matters to most folks, but I think this mold is much better than their new H4, H2, and all the MAX D-series discs.

I haven't seen much "dud" talk about it either. It's a great disc for players with decent arm speed- too OS for me at this point in my career but that's just me. Mine are considerably more OS than the thunderbirds I have thrown. The 500 plastic is also spectacular.

I'm finding the bottom edge of the rim to inside rim of the disc is extremely sharp, its extremely uncomfortable to hold in my hand, forehand or backhand grips. Unlike my F Series with the 'easy release technology'. Which is somewhat bothersome.

Has anyone else noticed it?

We're on a snowfall warning with 20-30cm expected by Sunday evening so I won't get out to throw until our Ice Bowl next weekend. I REALLY want to like this disc, but that sharpness may be something I can't deal with.

I'm finding the bottom edge of the rim to inside rim of the disc is extremely sharp, its extremely uncomfortable to hold in my hand, forehand or backhand grips. Unlike my F Series with the 'easy release technology'. Which is somewhat bothersome.

We're on a snowfall warning with 20-30cm expected by Sunday evening so I won't get out to throw until our Ice Bowl next weekend. I REALLY want to like this disc, but that sharpness may be something I can't deal with.

30 seconds with some sandpaper and it is fixed...

Discmania's Royal Rage has this same exact 'feature' and I guess prodigy copied whatever it is but I don't know why anyone would want a disc that has the potential to basically cause a 'paper cut' - especially when you aren't expecting that sharpness when you first grip the disc.

Welp.

Got to finally put a rip on the FX-2.

I love it. Holds a Hyzer line flawlessly and I feel like the sharpness of the rim actually helps with my grip. It definitely replaces my Undertakers, but with a bit more distance. Can't wait until it comes out in 400 plastic... Eventually

I'm glad I gave it a chance, now to pick some more out.

Discmania's Royal Rage has this same exact 'feature' and I guess prodigy copied whatever it is but I don't know why anyone would want a disc that has the potential to basically cause a 'paper cut' - especially when you aren't expecting that sharpness when you first grip the disc.

The RR and new prod runs of the FD2 don't have any kind of sharp lip. If yours does it's flashing. Sand that sucker down and enjoy!

Been throwing an FX-2 for a minute here. Kicked out both a champ Firebird that has started to get worn in a little as well as a Z Pred I had been trying to season. The bottom is still sharp but you kind of get used to after a while, and I can forehand it, which I can't do with the Pred.
I've been throwing a 400 for most lines for basically this whole year and it's maybe beaten in a little. Looking forward to seeing if it ever breaks in to more straight. Maybe 500 would beat in quicker idk.

I was using a 400 early this year and really did like it, if I hadn't decided to go back to my Tyrants I probably would have stayed with it. Nice beefy thunderbird type flight.

FX2 are prodigy Predators IMO. Decent Glide, good overstability and great HSS. Better plastic options than preds. The 750 ones (I had some robot chicken ones) were board flat and some of the best thumber discs. Nearly all the thumber guys I handed one to try thought that it was going to rip their thumb off... I guess years of thumbing predators I didn't find them that much sharper.
FX2 and H3v2 make a killer control driver combo if you cycle both of them.

Regarding breaking in, 400/400g break in beautifully. 500 probably does too, but may take a while.

Definitely a lot of Predator parallels, I'm pretty sure the flight of the Pred was what they were aiming for when designing the FX-2.

My only issue is that 400 can be incredibly durable. I have had the same 400 M2 in my bag for like 6 years, throw it a ton, and it hasn't lost any stability in the past 3 years at all. I feel like maybe the slight gumminess absorbs some abuse better than a stiffer plastic might. 400G seems to be the most cycle-able of the plastics. Will attempt to beat up a 500 FX-2 over the winter and report back. Watching pros throw FX-2's make me think they'll cycle like Preds

Have y'all tried the Feedback? It's like a slightly mellow FX2 and is pretty nice.

Latest posts