• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FYI: Bowling Green Amateur Championships

I met a bunch of people from here, but I don't know who you all are on here... sound off if you came across me and my dog Forest this weekend.

getting drunk with the TD and playing the final nine was by far the highlight of my weekend. I still love your bada** dog.

p.s. the guys from the midwest beat the TD and locals in our drunken round

see you all next year

This was my first year playing here. I'll give my 2 cents based on other tourneys that I've attending (08 Worlds, AmNats x4, USDGC)

Players pack - Good amount of stuff, not the latest and greatest from each company. (Innova/Discraft) Was worth the entry fee though. Good amount of coupons for the local area. Cross promoted different events to get every one to attend. (Pick your shirt up at flymart)

Flymart - Overall good. (nothing like the marketplace) DD Sunking LS were the big 3 there. Surrounded by area clubs/players with plastic. Vibram ran out of minis... Innova had putting contest for a new bag and was giving stickers license plates and such away. Manage to spend only 80 bucks on a hucklab dri fit and 2 flat top rocs.

Bowling Green - Stayed at a decent hotel chain on the south side of the city. Semi lengthy travel during rush hour. Lights are terribly timed. Lots of corporate chains, might stay near downtown next time to get more local flavor. Did get a good steak at Montana Grill, the basketball game provide a good atmosphere.

Tournament smoothness - Had companies running the show at each course. Players packet brouchere was a great tool for travel, course OB's, schedule. Boards were slightly late to one rd.

Courses- Advance only
Phil Moore - Distance, woods, water, minor elevation. Good tee pads/signs. Wind was a huge factor
Keriakes - Sweet park, needs better signage though in park. Overall fun course, nothing special but solid.
Hobson - Looks easy but isn't. Looks like at least 2 new holes are in the process of being done.
BGTC - Very rough still. Needs work cleaning up still. Good mix of wooded and open. Nothing too long at all.

Wha Bahs - Great location, cool back patio. Perfect for disc golf. Good food, bad service... Think they had 4 people working during the final nine. Also ate at their 2nd location across from the hotel, medicore, yummy fried pickles.

My rounds decreased as the wind picked up throughout the weekend, I was on the top card most of the weekend until my 870 at Lovers, knocked me down to 14th overall.

Had a great time though, I would highly recommend this experience, mostly the courses were not great, was some ok golf, but the people were great, pretty much everyone I came across I had a blast with.

I met a bunch of people from here, but I don't know who you all are on here... sound off if you came across me and my dog Forest this weekend.

We seemed to run into you at every event haha. We were the 2 couples from Pittsburgh who you played the final 9 layout with the first night until it got too dark and also the casual rd at Griffin.
Nice meeting you Mountain Dew Margarita!!

Hey, I was in the drunk round with the TD and apparently a couple people from DGCR. That was also the highlight of the weekend for me..

Hey, I was in the drunk round with the TD and apparently a couple people from DGCR. That was also the highlight of the weekend for me..

Haha, yeah, it was great! (would have been better if I didn't run out of beer halfway through) I didn't know at the time that it was a DGCR event! Hah, thanks for a great round guys.

Great meeting all of you and hanging out, and throwing, and drinking, and just having an all around great time :D.

If I can swing it, hopefully I see you all again next year!

The tournament was great, the people were great, the town is great, my play... not-so-much. Thanks for the memories BG. See ya next time.

The only difference between this guy and Wiggins last year is this guy accepted cash before this event. All but one player in the final nine had played in the Open division before this weekend.

Haha, well I guess I'm that guy! (edit: the non-pro guy, not the winner guy, haha)

This tourney was a real eye opener for me. I just had a great finish at the Melbourne Open a couple weeks ago but I have to tell you my expectations going into this tourney were low. My game has definitely been improving rapidly but I didnt think there was ANY chance I'd be in the top 20 of this thing.

I didnt (and still dont) think I was anywhere close to going pro before this event. The funny thing is that once I got to the upper cards and even into the final 9, I really thought I was at least as good as those guys. And I had no idea they had played pro until you guys pointed it out.

In regards to the tourney itself, wind was a huge factor out there this weekend. For whatever reason my strengths tend to be windy conditions and full power accuracy. Turns out both of these things paid off for me this week, especially at Phil Moore and in the Final 9 which was wide open and steady 30mph winds maybe more.

More than anything, this was the most consistently I've played to date. I've had several 990's rated rounds this year already but also some 910's and 920's in the same tournament, haha. I feel like I've weeded out the judgement mistakes recently and its made all the difference for me. . .

Sorry for the double-post but I have to share the highlight of the tourney for me.

Hole #2 of the final 9 is a fairly open 330ish foot turnover shot with some mature trees to avoid. Add to this a steady left to right 30mph wind. I knew I wanted to rip a sidewinder hyzer flip to get it to the pin but the wind was doing some crazy things, mostly pushing discs down pretty hard. The other guys opted for discs too stable and they never turned over enough to the hole. I knew I needed to get the disc pretty high in the air so it would carry to the hole. So with however many people standing there watching, I launch this thing up to the left and it turns over perfectly and gets pushed all the way to the pin . . . and whacks right off the yellow top of the basket! So close! Easy deuce anyways, and the only one on that hole . . .

I'm not able to participate in this years event due to scheduling but I'm looking forward to playing next year. Is it always the first weekend of April?

I'm not able to participate in this years event due to scheduling but I'm looking forward to playing next year. Is it always the first weekend of April?

Has been for as long as I can remember. Hope you can make it next year.

How about the drama in AM2?? This kid makes up 5 strokes over the last two rounds, then 5 MORE strokes in the finals to win by one! Crazy!! Anyone know this kid: Danny Daniels?

All I have to say is that it was entirely possible to make huge jumps in the finals. The combination of wind and OB made it pretty interesting. I went into the Final 9 eight strokes off the leader and ended up gaining 7 of them, although two others jumped him and he took 3rd.

How about the drama in AM2?? This kid makes up 5 strokes over the last two rounds, then 5 MORE strokes in the finals to win by one! Crazy!! Anyone know this kid: Danny Daniels?

Trey (Danny Daniels III)

Memphis, represent!!!

I have played with him once, real good kid.

I met DDIII briefly, seemed like a cool kid, a friend of mine was on the card with him for a round and said he had a real level head, confident but not cocky.
He's probably 5'6", and maybe 90lbs soaking wet, but he has some serious speed in his delivery, and that plastic flies from his hand with a vengeance! Look forward to rooting him on as he accels in the future!

BG was a ton of fun this year. I did not do as well as I had hoped but still ended pretty well. I really need to learn how to play in wind though. The gusts were killing my putting. I was glad that I had a chance to play a tourney round with Slowroll and a fun round with Martin and Forrest. In the tourney rounds I played with 15 different players and they were all super cool and fun to play with. I also picked up a sweet dyed Ion from Philman at the flymart. This was probably my last year for BG Ams and I will miss it since it is one of the better tournaments of the year.

*I do want to play Bowling Green Technical College again in a few years since I think when it breaks in some it will the clear #1 course in the area.

BG was a ton of fun this year. I did not do as well as I had hoped but still ended pretty well. I really need to learn how to play in wind though. The gusts were killing my putting. I was glad that I had a chance to play a tourney round with Slowroll and a fun round with Martin and Forrest. In the tourney rounds I played with 15 different players and they were all super cool and fun to play with. I also picked up a sweet dyed Ion from Philman at the flymart. This was probably my last year for BG Ams and I will miss it since it is one of the better tournaments of the year.

*I do want to play Bowling Green Technical College again in a few years since I think when it breaks in some it will the clear #1 course in the area.

I am sorry you HAD to play with slowroll. That is all. haha. Him and I know each other very well.

Latest posts