• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Discs AMA

What is evolution pro-line plastic? What would it compare with the closest? How did/ does it work in the Wizard mold specifically?

Evolution Pro-Line is an older blend of Evolution plastic that was a bit more firm than classic Evolution. We ran this in a few of our molds, and it was a very popular blend. I would compare it to our current Evolution Platinum plastic which has very similar look, feel and durability. It worked great in the wizard mold, but these wizards are long gone and in the hands of players. I think we have exactly 2 Evo Pro Line Wizards left at the shop.

So what does a sabre fly like? And are there any runs in the new plastics?

Sabres are our stable fairway driver. They are the compliment to the Assassin. Truly stable in flight, they will hold whatever line you put them on with little or no turn and predictable late fade.

We have not made any Sabres in the new plastics yet, but we have a few old ones in stock.

Are the new diamond and platinum Apaches and assassins molding up fairly flat? I have a couple HPP apaches that are pretty domey, to the point where they pop a bit when you push down on them.

Devil Hawk

Theyre different in feel but both are beefy utility discs. The DH is beaded and has a thumb track top. It's probably the most comfortable thumb placement design of any of the many on the market.

What would be the most hit and stick plastic the Devil Hawk is available in?

Also would the Shaman or Chief be similar to a Yikun Wings? I would love something that flies like a Wings but in better plastic. It is a glidely pretty straight shooting tweener (reminds me of a small diameter Condor).

Last edited:
What would be the most hit and stick plastic the Devil Hawk is available in?

Also would the Shaman or Chief be similar to a Yikun Wings? I would love something that flies like a Wings but in better plastic. It is a glidely pretty straight shooting tweener.

I'd nab a SS or SSS Devil Hawk. That should sit down once it hits.

After looking at the profile pic of the Wings it definitely looks like our Tweener speed PnA.
Id recommend picking up a Shaman & Chief OS to compare against the Wings.
The Shaman is super straight, almost like a mini Buzzz.
The Chief OS has more stability and flies like a mini Wasp.

Would Devil hawk in SS be a pretty solid r-pro pig replacement in flight? It seems like people prefer it over the war spear. I realize it's beaded but I think I can deal with that.

Would Devil hawk in SS be a pretty solid r-pro pig replacement in flight? It seems like people prefer it over the war spear. I realize it's beaded but I think I can deal with that.

War Spears are actually the more comfortable disc. They're also pretty beefy. I'd check them both out honestly. They're underrated in the crowded field of OS PnA discs.

Out of the three, I was definitely a bigger fan of the ChiefOS. Not a fan of the tracks on the WS/DH.

Anyone know if they already have or plan to do any diamond or platinum runs with the Blaze? In particular if there are some available in the mid to light 160's, need something a bit lighter for overhand and I bet these could take some damage in those plastics, in particular the diamond.

I think they have them in RFF, the ones I've seen listed for sale in that flex also look like those cool grey/black lunar swirl Wizards, I use one in a stiff Eraser blend so it holds up against spike hyzers and trying to learn sidearm, but those really soft ones would be great for dangerous approaches that you need to sit and stick or if your trying to go for it and need a plastic that will bite the chains.

Anyone know if they already have or plan to do any diamond or platinum runs with the Blaze? In particular if there are some available in the mid to light 160's, need something a bit lighter for overhand and I bet these could take some damage in those plastics, in particular the diamond.

We haven't run any new blazes yet but we will be soon.

How did the newer runs of Apaches turn out?

I love Apaches, and these are the best run we have ever made.

The Evolution HD plastic is amazing. It has the firmness of the Evo Platinum combined with the feel and durability of Evo Diamond. The entire run came out with a very slight, but appropriate, dome, and the plastic has a unique pearly glow that I really haven't seen from any other company.

The flight characteristics of this run are pretty much ideal as well. Apaches are a control driver, and to me that means I should be able to make them do anything I want them to do. If I throw RHBH and I want them to turn over and finish right, I can do it. If I need them to pop up, fly straight, and finish straight, I can do it. If I need them to hold a hyzer, I can do it. I could literally use this disc for any RHBH shot between 300-400 ft.

So I recently got a couple soft white wizards, looks like a very recent run per the updated tooling on the bottom. They're great feeling and incredibly stiff, stiffer than any softs I've owned before. So my question for Allen/Jamie/Gateway is, what's the difference between this latest run of softs vs PWP's or Fossil?

Last edited:
So I recently got a couple soft white wizards, looks like a very recent run per the updated tooling on the bottom. They're great feeling and incredibly stiff, stiffer than any softs I've owned before. So my question for Allen/Jamie/Gateway is, what's the difference between this latest run of softs vs PWP's or Fossil?

PWP runs a bit tighter/lower shouldered.
Plastic is a bit grittier too.

Other than that, Gateway continues to make amazing Wizards. You don't have to search long or buy old school Wiz to get the good stuff. That's why I'm happy to be a Wiz thrower.

PWP runs a bit tighter/lower shouldered.
Plastic is a bit grittier too.

Other than that, Gateway continues to make amazing Wizards. You don't have to search long or buy old school Wiz to get the good stuff. That's why I'm happy to be a Wiz thrower.

follow up q... I've owned G9i wizards, but never used them as my main putter. One of the things I really like about the PWP's is how the grip feels after a few rounds. I have a G9i coming to me and was wondering..are G9i wizards similar in improved grip after a few rounds of wear?

follow up q... I've owned G9i wizards, but never used them as my main putter. One of the things I really like about the PWP's is how the grip feels after a few rounds. I have a G9i coming to me and was wondering..are G9i wizards similar in improved grip after a few rounds of wear?

Yeah for sure.
G9 is slick as snot initially but will season into having a decent grip.

You're right though, PWP is about perfect in terms of feel & performance

Latest posts