• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Putters

He has a star aviar. He said that he like a good almost rubbery grippy feel. Also the only thing he doesnt like about aviar is sometimes it goes too far.

Yea, it's for friend.:\

Well the wizard has more glide than an aviar so getting a wizard isn't going to help that issue. Besides he should just learn how to range a disc.

Anyway he should get one of the EHHP (semi opaque gummy E wizards) and a SS or Soft S wizard and mess with those two.

Let me know if you want me to compare the flight of any of the putters, I've thrown them all. And if you want to buy some, you should try to track down a place locally that sells them. Firmnesses and grips can vary greatly from run to run.

I need to find a place that sells them, LOL. I bought a set of misprints and asked Gateway to send a variety of softnesses for both Wizards and Voodoos and he did that. My favorite is this yellow weird plastic extremely soft and flat SSS Wizard. Not really sure how to ask for that vs regular old SSS from an online retailer, LOL.

I need to find a place that sells them, LOL. I bought a set of misprints and asked Gateway to send a variety of softnesses for both Wizards and Voodoos and he did that. My favorite is this yellow weird plastic extremely soft and flat SSS Wizard. Not really sure how to ask for that vs regular old SSS from an online retailer, LOL.

Contact Blake at GGGT if you want to get some good wizards. He knows good wizards and will pick out some good ones for you.

Gateway putters.

Like I've said before, I'm a huge Rhyno fan, but for the last 2 months or so have experimented with Gateway's putters.

SSS Voodoo
SSS Wizard
SSS Magic

I have tossed them thoroughly and believe I have found their places in my bag...

Voodoo -- approach shots <150 / long jump putts
Wizard -- approach shots <150 that require strong fade / windy putts
Magic -- main putter and touch disc.

...and was wondering where, in anyone's bag that putts Gateway, have you positioned these putters? What are you're uses for them. (feel free to enlighten us on other putters they make if you putt with them -- i.e. Warlock)

And as a side note -- It is my strong opinion that if you get could with a Gateway Magic, you're putting game will improve so much. Granted it can be touchy at times when getting used to it's flight, but it's one of the best putters I've ever had the privilege of putting with.:thmbup:

I use a 175 SSS Wizard only. I have an SSS one that is not the floppy plastic but the one that needs to be broken in that I carry as my main putter and for approach shots, sometimes drives. I also carry an Organic SSS that is floppy but not nearly as much as the floppy SSS Wizards. For some reason it is more overstable, so it is better for drives for me and good for really long putts because I tend ot flick the disc out to far to the right, so it compensates.

I've basically got the same thing going as you...as soon as I get some voodoos :p
I've never thrown a warlock though :/ One of the guys at league uses 2, I'll have to check his out.

You'll love the Voodoo as an approach disc.

Dead nuts str8 when thrown with mid-range power on it. Easily shaped to pull of a variety of short approach shots when a Roc / Buzz (or whatever mid you throw) may be too strong of a disc.:thmbup:

I bought the three with the intention of using them for different purposes, like mentioned above. Though the buying of the Wizard was more just to compare it to my Rhynos being that that are similar in stability/overstability.

I've only been using the Wizard and Voodoo as approach discs. Magic as my putter.

What are your thoughts on the Warlock, since you putt with one?

Magic = Most important disc in my bag.

I use it for all of my approaches <200 feet and for drives up to 320 sometimes, I also use it for any straddle putts. The wizard is my main driving putter and inside the circle putter but the magic covers everything else.

I use an Evo Warlock and an Evo Magic and a Discraft ESP Zone.

I don't like the feel of the Wizard in my hand, so i don't use it.

I use the Zone for windy putts, hyzer skip shots and anny overhead hammers for recovery.
I use the Warlock for dead-straight approaches from about 150' and in. Does not skip or roll.
I use the Magic for most putts and some anny approaches.

I love my wizards for driving, approaches, and putting. I keep two SSS in my bag for putting, and an S and an HPP for driving and approaches.

175 & 172 SSS Wizards, my main putter in the circle, hyzer approaches and driving off the tee.

175 Glow Magic, alternates as my main putter depending on the day (no logic to this), also drops straight down w/o fading.

175 Medium Warlock, great long approach disc as it flies straight and far and sits nicely near the pin.

167 Evolution Warlock, was one of my favorite situational approach discs, putting around objects, etc. until it ended up in the water, damn!

I use an SS Voodoo as my main putter. I also own an Innova Aviar but the voodoo just works better for me. Stays real straight.

I bought the three with the intention of using them for different purposes, like mentioned above. Though the buying of the Wizard was more just to compare it to my Rhynos being that that are similar in stability/overstability.

I've only been using the Wizard and Voodoo as approach discs. Magic as my putter.

What are your thoughts on the Warlock, since you putt with one?

i have a really soft one and all it does is touch the chains and drop in. its a great discs but the problem is keeping it clean. it attracts dirt like a magnet

I just bought a S Magic today and i love it for everything so far it was landing and just sitting there on my approaches and i also noticed im able to putt consistently from about a 10' farther distance i love this disc. Hopefully i will be as happy with my Evo Wizard and SS Voodoo when they get here.

I have a SSS Wizard, (Super Stupid Soft) that I use for puts 30 feet and closer that flies dead striaght.

I was thinking about ordering a 173, 174, or 175 gram one but hadn't heard anything definitive on them. And my putting game has been complete trash lately. Thanks

I have a SSS Wizard, (Super Stupid Soft) that I use for puts 30 feet and closer that flies dead striaght.

At 30 ft. and closer it really doesn't matter what putter you use, it's 30 ft.

Driving with putters will tell you the true flight path of it. Having said that, I've putted and drove with Magics, Wizards and Voodoos for a long time. Warlocks seem like a useless mold. Sorry, personal opinion only. All I know is they are supposed to be out of the box beat in wizard-like flight paths. If that's the case, I'll stick with a true beat in wizard for consistency.

Wizards are overstable and very predictable, as they age the juice only gets sweeter. These have a bead if you like or dislike beaded molds.

Magics are understable, if you turn one over too much, you can kiss it goodbye, it is not fading back. Can be a good/bad thing depending on your play style. No bead. Best putter ever made for actual putting duties IMO.

Voodoos lie in between the first two in stability. Tiny bead.

As far as plastics go, Gateway has some great putter molds but they're pretty inconsistent with plastic. You can get a floppy SSS one day then order another that will still say SSS but be as firm as a Soft and vice versa. It's a marketing ploy to get you to by multiples of the same mold hoping for that perfect feeling disc.

The eraser like Softs are money.

Last edited: