• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Putters

What is the difference in the type of plastics for these? I am used to the good ole DX Aviar for putting, now use that for nearly everything else. Does the different plastics help with longevity or to maintain original flight characteristics longer?

look em up on their website, they explain the dif molds, like this is the wizard without the bead...
i like the wizard...
post +1

I did go to their website which is pretty cool and informative. Just wanted to get some opinions from you players.

Gateway putters are the bee's knees. From overstable to understable, they are Wizard, VooDoo, Warlock, Magic. From my (limited) experience, the VooDoo seems to have a little more glide than the others. The more S's the grippier, for the most part. The organics usually feel like how you would think a SS should for the most part. Mainly though, find something that feels good in your hand for when you're standing 30 feet from the basket and want hear the chains rattle in a good way.

Wizard is the original and flies like a glidier KC Aviar. Lots of people complain about how the bead feels weird in their hand.

Warlock is a wizard without the bead. It is just as stable as a wizard new but beats in quicker and loses more LSS than a wizard.

Voodoo is a putter with a small bead, almost a challenger clone. It is a good driving putter for people who like to hyzer flip or who find the wizard too over stable

Magic is a straight putter out of the box that is easy to work on many lines. New they can be thrown hyzer, striaght or anhyzer and it will hold the line (assuming clean form). They beat in pretty quick and get pretty flippy in a shorter amount of time (1 to 3 months depending on play). Magics have a ton of glide but suffer in the wind. Don't get magics in E or HPP plastic they don't fly anything like a normal magic.

Let me know if you want me to compare the flight of any of the putters, I've thrown them all. And if you want to buy some, you should try to track down a place locally that sells them. Firmnesses and grips can vary greatly from run to run.

as far as their plastic compared to other companies... all i can say is that i believe that it is the main reason why gateway is loved for putters

soft dont mean floppy, soft is referring to the "grip" more or less, i have an sss thats pretty stiff, but real grippy, to exaggerate - its like felt, almost textured, i've held no other plastic like it, and it wears in beautifully...

S = Avg plastic but will beat in like a normal Aviar. Not real soft, but soft enough if you like mediocre plastic.

ss= Soft but beats in quick to a soft grab the chains plastic.

sss = soft, soft, and gets softer.

None of these start out real soft, but age really well. Buy them if you want a great plastic that is stable and ages great!

Best putters on the market.

Gateway spends 3-4 times as much on their base plastic per pound than Innova's DX which is partially why they feel better and last longer.

The reason I putt with a Voodoo is that is gives me such a clean release. I could feel the difference the first time I picked one up; it just felt smooth in my hand. But I would contend with Frank Delicious's description of the Voodoo as a putter with a "small bead." I think it has no bead at all, which is why it gives me such a clean release.

I love my SSS Wizards for putting, they have good flex and grip without being floppy, and don't seem to change in flight much with age. I also like having a putter that putts well but is also a good driving putter so I don't have to worry about different grips (I drive with an S Wizard).

If you like the magic, you should try the Ion if you have some extra cash. It is a premium plastic magic that flies like an S plastic magic.

Wizard Putter Question

Hello,

My friend is planning to buy a Wizard disc this week but he wants to know which one he should buy. Which one do you recommend him to get and give why.

Thanks!

~E_R

Well what putter does he like now? What is he looking for in a putter? What does he dislike in his current putter? What type of grip and feel does he like in a putter?

also is this really for a friend? You can tell us son, we understand these questions are awkward to ask.

Sorry, I had to pull a merge. Somehow a Wizard thread right above a Gateway Putter thread struck me as redundant.

is he gonna purchase at a store or online? (whether or not he's gonna be able to feel it b4 purchase)

i like em all, but its mostly preference, some like it hard... he might be that guy, i mean i just dont know...

does he drive with putters?if he'll be driving with em i'd say soft or medium, if drive only then evolution, if putt only then sss, ss is prob most common, if he's the type thats gonna end up owning more than one i'd get the sss or ss first and beat it up a lil so you'll have the feel for the disc

all in all, i think they're all great, evo is worse for grabbin chains, wet grip, but they are indestructable

i liked the sss, not floppy at all, just really nice n grippy

hehe, took me a while to find the moved thread, i was all done typin out a response, and got an invalid link notification... no worries, i won't be contacting anyone

Well what putter does he like now? What is he looking for in a putter? What does he dislike in his current putter? What type of grip and feel does he like in a putter?

also is this really for a friend? You can tell us son, we understand these questions are awkward to ask.

He has a star aviar. He said that he like a good almost rubbery grippy feel. Also the only thing he doesnt like about aviar is sometimes it goes too far.

Yea, it's for friend.:\

Sorry, I had to pull a merge. Somehow a Wizard thread right above a Gateway Putter thread struck me as redundant.

Sorry, but thank you for merge.

MotoDj said:
is he gonna purchase at a store or online? (whether or not he's gonna be able to feel it b4 purchase)

i like em all, but its mostly preference, some like it hard... he might be that guy, i mean i just dont know...

does he drive with putters?if he'll be driving with em i'd say soft or medium, if drive only then evolution, if putt only then sss, ss is prob most common, if he's the type thats gonna end up owning more than one i'd get the sss or ss first and beat it up a lil so you'll have the feel for the disc

all in all, i think they're all great, evo is worse for grabbin chains, wet grip, but they are indestructable

i liked the sss, not floppy at all, just really nice n grippy

I believe he's going to buy it online, I THINK he's gonna buy it on disc nation.

Great info so far. I think that I will try a Warlock next just to see what it is like. I like the plastic of the SS Voodoo I have, but it seems to have a few dings in it. I guess that is normal for the amount that I play. The SSS might be a little to soft for me in regards to durability issues. I am not fond of beaded versions for putters so the Wizard might be out for me. I will just head to my local shop and feel them in my hand and figure it out.