• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

The new blends I've tried all squeak when I rub my thumb on them. Fossil seems to be the exception. There's something about them that just doesn't feel right. They're molding up really nice too. Glad people like them.

I have quite a few wizards mostly for putting some for driving but usually drive with a Rhyno. I have two questions 1 what plastics would be best for driving with a scale I usually drive with champion rhyno. 2 one of my old wizards has a much higher shoulder and the plastics is rock hard stamped soft wizard the blend reminds me of old KC. Pro hard and tacky but the weird part is on the back hand written under the weight is soar wiz? None of my 14 other wizards have this marking and certainly don't glide like this one. I hope one of you wizard loves have the answer thanks.

I have quite a few wizards mostly for putting some for driving but usually drive with a Rhyno. I have two questions 1 what plastics would be best for driving with a scale I usually drive with champion rhyno. 2 one of my old wizards has a much higher shoulder and the plastics is rock hard stamped soft wizard the blend reminds me of old KC. Pro hard and tacky but the weird part is on the back hand written under the weight is soar wiz? None of my 14 other wizards have this marking and certainly don't glide like this one. I hope one of you wizard loves have the answer thanks.

We don't have (many) premium Scales in existence. I'd check out Fossil as it's a tough, baseline blend that will provide great flights for a long time.

As for the Soar Wizard... It's not ringing any bells.

We don't have (many) premium Scales in existence. I'd check out Fossil as it's a tough, baseline blend that will provide great flights for a long time.

As for the Soar Wizard... It's not ringing any bells.

Ok thanks I can't wait to try the Scale i like the idea of the groove on the flight plate. And it should pair nicely with the wizard.

Ok thanks I can't wait to try the Scale i like the idea of the groove on the flight plate. And it should pair nicely with the wizard.
The only problem with Scales is that after you have a few beat in you don't need Wizards anymore. :|

Are you sure it isn't "Soft Wiz" just written in a hurry? Care to include pics?

I definitely am going to try not sure how to get them from my Windows phone to the website. It's definitely looks like soar wiz written under the weight. I figured since that run is puffy with a real high shoulder and extra glide they nickname it and wrote it on the back. One thing for sure it doesn't feel like wizard plastics I can't detect any rubber in it at all crazy stiff plastics.

The only problem with Scales is that after you have a few beat in you don't need Wizards anymore. :|

Do they really get that long as they season? I can't get much distance out of any of the Scales I've thrown, but still get respectable distance from Wizards.

Do they really get that long as they season? I can't get much distance out of any of the Scales I've thrown, but still get respectable distance from Wizards.

After reading your post you have me wondering the scale isn't like overstable like a zone to where it loses distance because of fading so hard. I was thinking its Rhyno like flight straight 85% then a dump easy to range.

That's why I am looking for premium plastics Scale to see if it can take the place of my flat champion rhyno��.

After reading your post you have me wondering the scale isn't like overstable like a zone to where it loses distance because of fading so hard. I was thinking its Rhyno like flight straight 85% then a dump easy to range.

Fossil Scales are more akin to Champ Rhynos when new than a Zone. Of course a Fossil Scale will beat in faster than the Champ Rhyno, but not as fast as a Wizard. Scales gain stability from their thumbtrack top which doesn't beat out the way most discs do. The thumbtrack also seems to slow the discs compared to their respective Gateway counterparts making the max distance a fair amount less.

For me, they're very dumpy bricks that I can't get to 200' when new. I never spent much more time with them to season one though. They're definitely not like the Rhynos I've thrown which match your description. I don't want to dissuade you from trying Scales. I know several people that love them, but they didn't work for me. They are incredibly easy to range, but I am comfortable enough throwing Zones in those short distances that I didn't need another mold.

Last edited:
Scales are straight money. As they season and they get longer and lose fade. Instead they remain high-speed stable but just sort of stall and fall. They never get as long as fast as wizards though. A lightly seasoned wizard can go for days. I throw my scales all the time, but none of them get glidy like a wizard.

1-2 Scales with 3 Wizards covers everything I need my putters to do.

I've thrown Scales (not so much any more). To me they were just like Rhynos. Very little glide, lots of stability. Easy to range shots since they'll only go so far before wanting to find the ground. As they beat they start losing the dumpy fade and get straighter and longer, much like a Rhyno.

Zones are a different beast - much faster disc and more glide.

Beat in Scales are saving my short game. I have arthritis in my thumbs and a lot of the time on the deep Wizard I just can't get any pressure down on the top of the disc to pinch the grip. The thubtrack on the Scale give me just enough to get the grip working again. Any glide I might be losing I'm not noticing since my Wizard drives have been sucking.