• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

I think he was talking about these:

My G9i is from 2004 is lower then a regualr wizard from same era. I wonder why? It is low enough to be like a Upshot #2 or U-2 in height but from the old Wizard mold. It is missing the edge being as round as most Wizard Putter discs. My disc is a bit more squished then a regular Wizard from the same era like my dads that just has Wizard on top but no indication of plastic softness though it is nearly as stiff as my old putter I have. Also my G9i says Mid Range Approach only on the disc though I tried to use it as a putter for one summer.

Last edited:
My G9i is from 2004 is lower then a regualr wizard from same era. I wonder why? It is low enough to be like a Upshot #2 or U-2 in height but from the old Wizard mold. It is missing the edge being as round as most Wizard Putter discs. My disc is a bit more squished then a regular Wizard from the same era like my dads that just has Wizard on top but no indication of plastic softness though it is nearly as stiff as my old putter I have. Also my G9i says Mid Range Approach only on the disc though I tried to use it as a putter for one summer.

Did Gateway ever make a mold of Wizard that was a Mid Range like disc in the G9i? I have seen later G9i and they are more like a Wizard putter with G9i plastic.

One more thing...at this point I guarantee my G9i would pass a flex test. It's a shame people today seem to change their putters like they're socks. You just can't match the grip and feel of a putter that old.

Thanks, My G9i from 2004 might be the old mold as they redid the mold in 2003-2004. What do people mean by tapered flight plate? the guy at the PIAS said the dusty disc had been sitting there for 2 years was from 2002. My dads was newer so it is the flight plate of the new discs.

Flight plate is thicker at the rim. Thinner in the middle.

Pretty sure the Wizard's flightplate has been tapered since its inception. I know it's been that way as long as I've been throwing them.

My G9i from the reissue has been bagged ever since I received it. It's a beaut, and I'd trade all my fresh backups long before I'd give up all those putts on my baby. I'm going to be lost when it finally cracks.

I had heard that they .ade a change somewhere along the line. I always was under the impression the flight plate was tapered and that's just the way it was. I think a video came across my insta of Nikko saying it has a thinner flight plate like the older Wiz. IDK maybe I misconstrued all of it.

I had heard that they .ade a change somewhere along the line. I always was under the impression the flight plate was tapered and that's just the way it was. I think a video came across my insta of Nikko saying it has a thinner flight plate like the older Wiz. IDK maybe I misconstrued all of it.

Nope, my bad he said it was made from the original mold and featured a thinner flight plate. Sorry bout dat.

Are you sure you don't have an Element?

Nope says Wizard G9i and Mid Range Approach on the disc. Only Wizard I have seen to say that, is from July or August 2004 Definitely not a Warlock as those came out a bit later. Dad has an Element X from same trip and that is like a midrange version of a Classic Grid Aviar.

One more thing...at this point I guarantee my G9i would pass a flex test. It's a shame people today seem to change their putters like they're socks. You just can't match the grip and feel of a putter that old.

I know what you mean, I kept the same set of putters, The one Magnet from stiff pre 2006 might not have passed flex test when new but now it should, Still in bag but I do not use it as main putter. The G9i from 2004 I have is still too stiff despite attempts to use it as a Putter for a year then as an approach disc at the ~45-55 foot range until 2009 then for a year when I got back into Disc Golf in 2014 for most of the season before taking the disc out. I had others that could do that shot and more in my bag so the Wizard G9i was out.

Last edited:
I think my disc might be the original Chief out in 2003 with wrong stamp but definitely in G9i plastic, having felt other Wizards in the G9i plastic. I just looked at Profiles on the site and the Chief is closest.

PWs haven't been out long enough to the be THAT beat up.

Pretty sure TBird has been putting the same G9i wizard for 7 years. My two putting Wizards have been in my bag since 8/15 and 10/16.

But if they're really super beat, PM me and I will trade you some fresh Wizards for beat PWs.

Its a matter of personal preference. I got a stack of 4 or 5 when these came out a couple years ago, and the specific ones I have in my bag have been there for about a year I think. My reason for wanting to change them out is because some of the nicks and gouges on the rim are starting to become a little distracting when I'm putting. Not saying they are no longer useable, just something that kinda gets in my head. If they do come out of the bag, they will go straight to my stack of practice putters.

Its a matter of personal preference. I got a stack of 4 or 5 when these came out a couple years ago, and the specific ones I have in my bag have been there for about a year I think. My reason for wanting to change them out is because some of the nicks and gouges on the rim are starting to become a little distracting when I'm putting. Not saying they are no longer useable, just something that kinda gets in my head. If they do come out of the bag, they will go straight to my stack of practice putters.

I'll trade you, for real.

I think my disc might be the original Chief out in 2003 with wrong stamp but definitely in G9i plastic, having felt other Wizards in the G9i plastic. I just looked at Profiles on the site and the Chief is closest.

Nope Mine is a Wizard G9i but it is 2 MM lower then Dads and the round part to flat top is less and the top on my Wizard is more flat then a Wizard of same era. My dads disc is more beat in despite My disc being used more in my bag. I think my dad's disc took a tree or two when he was using the disc as his driving putter for a bit before taking it out of the bag, I put it back in his main bag. I might give him my putter to use since I do and did not use it after getting the lighting U-2 in flexible Prostyle plastic.

Last edited:

Buy a high-grit sanding block and use it to smooth down the nicks.

(Are you arguing yourself?)

Not really, I thought the disc was much lower then average but it is not. It is a Wizard. The older G9i Wizard might have had Mid Range then right below that Approach but I do not know for sure, only that mine is like that. Did they make the disc the G9i series ever with the labels as Mid Range/Approach label on it as a full production or is mine a Mistake Stamp?

Keller thought is might be a different disc due to what I said but the mold is a Wizard. I just feel that part of the Label of the disc being a Mid Range Approach disc might be a mistake stamp on the disc to what Keller was saying about that part.

Last edited:

Latest posts