• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

Not true, the Gator was out in DX and Champion at the time (Metal Flake Champion was later) as a disc in the mid 2000's before the Zone came out and was taller OS like putter midrange. However the Chsmpion was what you wanted provided the disc was more flat top and not a micro dome like the Champion Rhyno or else the disc was more OS then the Viper or Whippet.

why is what thatdirtykid said not true?

You've been going off in a number of posts telling people you've quoted that what they said is 'not true', when there's nothing demonstrably false in what they've said, and you've certainly not shown what they've said to be demonstrably false. You may not agree with their opinions, but it doesn't make what they said 'not true'. If you're going to call someone a liar, you need to have and show the proof to back it up.

Champion gators were not terribly easy to come by for a while, or I totally missed them, but you are definitely correct they existed. The only one I owned between starting and the flx (gross) drone coming out was a circle stamp someone offered me $40 for, so I ran with the money.
I loved rocking metalhead vipers, but they didnt fit my game as well as the demon as they overlapped my beefier predators more. Small diamater and slow being the big differences between the demon and other options at the time.

This pic is of two Wizards I bought around '08 or '09. They're smooth and slightly glossy, but with a little tackiness to them. Both are pretty firm, but I don't know the exact flex. I started playing again a few months ago and bought a stack of SS Wizards, which I'd describe as more matte with a touch of grit. Is there a blend more reminiscent of my old Wizards currently in production?

Attachments

• IMG-3704.jpg
    IMG-3704.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 54
This pic is of two Wizards I bought around '08 or '09. They're smooth and slightly glossy, but with a little tackiness to them. Both are pretty firm, but I don't know the exact flex. I started playing again a few months ago and bought a stack of SS Wizards, which I'd describe as more matte with a touch of grit. Is there a blend more reminiscent of my old Wizards currently in production?

My advice? Call Gateway, talk to them on the phone. Describe them in detail, buy 10.

For a minute I thought this was the Zone thread gone of the rails. I am not being sarcastic for once here. Glad you reminded me what thread I actually clicked on.

Wizards are awesome, in case anyone did not know.

The Nikko Wizards have a slightly glossy look with good grip. They are not gritty they have more of a rubbery surface feel.
The flight plate on the Nikko Wizards is thinner like the older Wizards.

I know of the run you're talking about(The caped wizard stamp was introduced around then). Most current runs of wizards have the gritty tactile feel to them. Even the new "FIRM" have a gritty feel to them. If you're looking for something that has less grit and has a smooth feel, there have been some runs of $$$(Money) that had a glossy feel to them, but they're a bit stiffer than the two you have. Myself, I really like the current Pure White plastic. It's firm but has more of a glossy feel and isn't overly slick.

I know of the run you're talking about(The caped wizard stamp was introduced around then). Most current runs of wizards have the gritty tactile feel to them. Even the new "FIRM" have a gritty feel to them. If you're looking for something that has less grit and has a smooth feel, there have been some runs of $$$(Money) that had a glossy feel to them, but they're a bit stiffer than the two you have. Myself, I really like the current Pure White plastic. It's firm but has more of a glossy feel and isn't overly slick.

Most of my caped stamp wizards are from a 10-pack I picked up in 2005. That was the stock stamp for several years and every kind of plastic/feel you can think of. In my experience, that combination of glossy, rubbery, tacky surface finish comes with lots of time and use. It's hard to duplicate exactly with a new putter. Even the $$$ ones feel nice on the surface but the overall flex of the disc is weird to me. It's got a much more bouncy, rubbery overall feel.

Most of my caped stamp wizards are from a 10-pack I picked up in 2005. That was the stock stamp for several years and every kind of plastic/feel you can think of. In my experience, that combination of glossy, rubbery, tacky surface finish comes with lots of time and use. It's hard to duplicate exactly with a new putter. Even the $$$ ones feel nice on the surface but the overall flex of the disc is weird to me. It's got a much more bouncy, rubbery overall feel.

I was thinking this might be the case. I just hope these SS Wizards hold up as long as my old ones. They seem to be beating in very quickly (lots of burrs and gouges) but that's probably because I'm practicing with them every day.

I was thinking this might be the case. I just hope these SS Wizards hold up as long as my old ones. They seem to be beating in very quickly (lots of burrs and gouges) but that's probably because I'm practicing with them every day.

As Buzzz stated...that glossy feel does come from extended use. And yes...the caped wizard was on almost every type back then and was used from like 2005-2009'ish. Then it got a slight tweak. However, I think the original and the tweaked stamps are both still available for current runs as well ;-)

If you're looking for a new wizard with an OTB gloss feel...then probably $$$ or PW would probably be the route I'd go.

I'm by no means the biggest wizard collector here, but I have a stack of maybe 20 or 30 that I've collected over the years. Some blends chunk and gouge, some don't. But they all feel a lot nicer after a couple years of use.

My favorite ones are old tried-and-true ones from 2005-2008 that have looked the same for years, the grip just seems to get better and better. I've also got a firm-feeling SS from maybe 2016 that has been grippy and durable like the old blends right out of the box, so they definitely still make them from time to time.

I have a crate full of Wizards for my backyard basket that I usually throw in the garage, but it often sits out in the backyard through all kinds of weather. I pull a few random ones out and throw a few putts whenever I'm back there grilling or whatever. Even the hard/slick ones that I don't like at first, end up feeling nice and grippy after a while.

They look just like these with < 1% rubbery compound in them. One pair is marked OG and the other OG SS and the former is stiffer while the SS is by no means soft. Slick but not slippery as the McPros I had in similar plastic. IIRC they have a pretty low shoulder. Nothing for Swedish winter but they'll come out come spring

Attachments

• F20DE412-F2CE-493B-9426-63BA1990CF52.jpg
    F20DE412-F2CE-493B-9426-63BA1990CF52.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 24
Took out a pair of Firm Wizards to start putting with this year. Higher shoulder than the Soft's I've been using...I kind of like that. They seem to have just a smidge of extra float on a putt.

I came across a pair of Firm Wizards in the store recently, a red and a black. I just couldn't bring myself to leave them behind, they were just too stiff. The black has pretty bad flashing, but it'll be fine. Interested to see what the life cycle will be like with these Firms. I'll probably add the black to the bag the next time I need a spot for another Wizard. I have three Firms in total, one has a tournament stamp. I've hand picked these but they all have even moderate shoulders but nice flat flight plates. Those are the Wizards I've always thrown. For me the low shouldered Fossil I have is a deviation.

I came across a pair of Firm Wizards in the store recently, a red and a black. I just couldn't bring myself to leave them behind, they were just too stiff. The black has pretty bad flashing, but it'll be fine. Interested to see what the life cycle will be like with these Firms. I'll probably add the black to the bag the next time I need a spot for another Wizard. I have three Firms in total, one has a tournament stamp. I've hand picked these but they all have even moderate shoulders but nice flat flight plates. Those are the Wizards I've always thrown. For me the low shouldered Fossil I have is a deviation.

The Softs I putted and one of my throwers are those very low, profile ones. I never felt like I had good glide on putts, but they make great throwers. I really like the feel of the higher shoulder for the Firms.

Latest posts