• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

Who likes putting with Nikkos?
Who likes driving with Nikkos?

I have and Eraser one, but it's not getting used much. Nothing wrong with it, but the thinner flight plate makes it feel lighter in my hand compared to my main putter. It's probably all in my head, but I always seem to hit top band with it when I'm practice putting with a stack. I prefer to drive with PW so I haven't really thrown it.

I have and Eraser one, but it's not getting used much. Nothing wrong with it, but the thinner flight plate makes it feel lighter in my hand compared to my main putter. It's probably all in my head, but I always seem to hit top band with it when I'm practice putting with a stack. I prefer to drive with PW so I haven't really thrown it.

Nikko Wizards are the older type top to the disc mold, the one where the inner part of top of the disc is thinner then outer part of top of the disc. At least that is what I was told and saw online from Nikko.

I have a proto blend Nikko that I bought in hopes of it being my putting putter. My super beat proto wizard is now my long range putter.
The Nikko may make my main putter spot, but right now I am using a sick pair of firms.

I got a stack of firm second generation nikkos and they are probably on the stiffer side off ss so they have a little flex. The stiff nikkos have a flat top, low shoulder and a smooth surface.
The first generation Nikkos are softer.
I don't have much time with any of them.

Split a Suregrip wizard right down the middle by drilling a tree about 100ft out. Its funny to notice the inside of the rim had bubbles in it :)

Attachments

• rsz_img_20190216_135309.jpg
    rsz_img_20190216_135309.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 82
The first runs of the Nikko's (the one without the circle of chains) were a bit too soft to putt with; They were marked sss. I been using them as an upshot disc, need to beat them in to be more of a voodoo type stability and they should be perfect.

Got another pair of Nikko's, this time in eraser and the firmness was much better for putting for me. Have not used it in and warm weather, but would feel like the flight plate might be too soft. Will probably switch to a firmer blend if the warmer months, but these ER Nikko's are good for the others. In Oregon, where it rains, this blend still putts well with a damp flight plate, and the thin plate helps with the grip when a bit wet.

IMO, the firm run of Nikko Wizards is in the "Top 3" of all wizards runs since its inception. They drive like a Proto...and putt like a proto...just a bit firmer of a feel to them. The Eraser Nikko's are pretty solid upshot disc's as well. Have a little more stick'em to them ;-)

Looking at getting back into the wizard game. I see a lot of people talking about the Nikkos and PW. What are the favorites to putt and drive with these days? I have always been a pretty firm putter guy.

Looking at getting back into the wizard game. I see a lot of people talking about the Nikkos and PW. What are the favorites to putt and drive with these days? I have always been a pretty firm putter guy.
They have gone back to calling the firm Soft's "firm" so that makes it easier for you and me to find Wizards. For several years I had to dig through Softs looking for the firmest Softs I could find. They were out there, you just had to feel them first.

I'm like the only Gateway putter guy I know who isn't into the PW. It's not as firm as I was hoping and it has a tacky grip-thing that I'm not into. It's OK, but I paid extra for OK. When I pay extra I want "clearly better." It wasn't clearly better.

The Nikko's again are OK but they felt weird in the hand, something about the flight plate seemed off. And they cost more. :( One of the things I always loved about Wizards was they were simple. S-Line Wizards, used to get misprints for $5 all day long. If I suddenly lost all my Wizards and had to start over, S-Line Firm Wizards all day long and look for a misprint deal.

I'd go with Firms. They are the stiffest ones in production that I've found.

They have gone back to calling the firm Soft's "firm" so that makes it easier for you and me to find Wizards. For several years I had to dig through Softs looking for the firmest Softs I could find. They were out there, you just had to feel them first.

I'm like the only Gateway putter guy I know who isn't into the PW. It's not as firm as I was hoping and it has a tacky grip-thing that I'm not into. It's OK, but I paid extra for OK. When I pay extra I want "clearly better." It wasn't clearly better.

The Nikko's again are OK but they felt weird in the hand, something about the flight plate seemed off. And they cost more. :( One of the things I always loved about Wizards was they were simple. S-Line Wizards, used to get misprints for $5 all day long. If I suddenly lost all my Wizards and had to start over, S-Line Firm Wizards all day long and look for a misprint deal.

Where would you say the PW are on the stiffness scale? You said they weren't as firm as you wanted but are they still relatively firm? Any of the runs seem like they have a little more glide on putts? I would just order a stack of firms but you can get such different shaped discs so it seems scary. I might just have to give them a call.

Can't go wrong with stock Firms like everybody else is saying :hfive:

Where would you say the PW are on the stiffness scale? You said they weren't as firm as you wanted but are they still relatively firm? Any of the runs seem like they have a little more glide on putts? I would just order a stack of firms but you can get such different shaped discs so it seems scary. I might just have to give them a call.

Ugh should have multi-quoted...I have two white Firms that have this higher shoulder thing going on and seem to glide on putts a little better than the low shoulder, flats from the past year or two. Still have that signature Wizard "drop" but not as much.

This is going to make no sense. The PW's are stiff, so I shouldn't have said they are not as stiff as I wanted them. They are not as hard as I wanted them. The discs don't flex but the plastic has this gritty/grippy sorta feel. They FEEL soft while actually being firm. For a lot of people, it's this perfect "best of both World's" thing with the grip + consistent release you get with a firm putter. For me the handfeel of the plastic is awful because it feels like the plastic I hate. I want a harder, slicker feel to my plastic. I'm happier with good 'ol S-Firm.

This is going to make no sense. The PW's are stiff, so I shouldn't have said they are not as stiff as I wanted them. They are not as hard as I wanted them. The discs don't flex but the plastic has this gritty/grippy sorta feel. They FEEL soft while actually being firm. For a lot of people, it's this perfect "best of both World's" thing with the grip + consistent release you get with a firm putter. For me the handfeel of the plastic is awful because it feels like the plastic I hate. I want a harder, slicker feel to my plastic. I'm happier with good 'ol S-Firm.

Sounds like you need to find some G9i.

I putt S-Firm and throw PW. I also dont like the extra grit/grip when putting but do appreciate it throwing.

I like the PW for off the tee and upshots. Right now with colder weather the grip works. When it heats up I'm going with G9i/fossil.
I like a bit more bend in my putting, Erasers and Organics are my choice.

Was there a G18i?

Probably went a bit overboard but I ordered 2 PW, 3 Firms, and I got a Fossil Scale for ****s and giggles. Once Marshall street gets a bunch of x-outs again I will probably clean them out ha.

Was there a G18i?

Not that I know of. However a Hard/Firm of the older Approach only mold was made, the slightly lower profile Wiszard Gateway tried to bill as a almost midrange and some of the Gateway pros did not really use a midrange very much using the approach versions both the Hard/Firm or G9i for the midrange slot and the older taller Putt&Approach models for everything else.

The Hard/Firm was also used for the regular putter mold as my dad has a regular Wizard putter from 2003-2004 bought in 2004 same time as my G9i that I gave away to a Wizard uses that is not labeled on top as Firm but on the bottom it has the newer labeling unlike the old G9i Wizard Approach mold. The later G9i is the same mold as the Putt&Approach older mold with the thinner center of the disc and thicker outer edge.

Latest posts