• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

I love my Fossil and PW Wizards. My oldest Fossil is pretty understable now and I have a freshy in the bag too.

Not sure they are my favorite for putting though, still haven't settled on a putting wizard that is just right.

I used a pair of Softs for a year or two that might as well have been Fossils...they didn't have a lot of float on a put due to being lower-profile...great throwing Wizards.

The newer "Firm" Wizards are a little higher shouldered and pretty nice for putting.

What's the story on the circle of the tooling? Kinda diggin these stiff OGs for putting and the near lack of circle is a contributing factor.

Attachments

• DE89985B-664E-4A3C-9E91-78B14BC7241E.jpg
    DE89985B-664E-4A3C-9E91-78B14BC7241E.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 75
Those are the putters I use as well, stiff organic, same tooling. I always thought they were circa 2012.

I used a pair of Softs for a year or two that might as well have been Fossils...they didn't have a lot of float on a put due to being lower-profile...great throwing Wizards.

The newer "Firm" Wizards are a little higher shouldered and pretty nice for putting.

I like to putt with firmer high shouldered wizards. They fit just right in my hand and work well outside the circle.
I like to throw Wizards that mold up tighter like pw, fossil and second generation Nikkos.
This winter I have been trying to putt with firm Nikkos, within 25 they feel good but don't have "legs" like the higher shoulder wizards do.

I picked up 2 more Firm Wizards. I hand picked the stiffest I could find at GGGT. I love looking through Wizards in person. I have a pair of reds now. Nice milddle ground profile. No high shoulder, not as slim as my Fossil or a Nikko. Velvety feel. I'm planning on using them as putters. They putt a lot like my stiff Organics and were better putters than my Glows right out of the box. They fly like a stiff Soft Wizard. Not as OS as the Glows. Glidey. I've got a couple others that I plan to use as throwers.

I picked up 2 more Firm Wizards. I hand picked the stiffest I could find at GGGT. I love looking through Wizards in person. I have a pair of reds now. Nice milddle ground profile. No high shoulder, not as slim as my Fossil or a Nikko. Velvety feel. I'm planning on using them as putters. They putt a lot like my stiff Organics and were better putters than my Glows right out of the box. They fly like a stiff Soft Wizard. Not as OS as the Glows. Glidey. I've got a couple others that I plan to use as throwers.

For some reason dark Red is the Best when getting Wizard putters (not including PWP) then Black was next best at least in terms of how consistent the discs would be in the 2000's. The coral color was off bad according to those who used the discs in the 2000's and had more then one mold, Gray was third but that might have been a black just not color dyed all the way.

This reads like poetry to me.

For some reason dark Red is the Best when getting Wizard putters (not including PWP) then Black was next best at least in terms of how consistent the discs would be in the 2000's. The coral color was off bad according to those who used the discs in the 2000's and had more then one mold, Gray was third but that might have been a black just not color dyed all the way.

Also.... .... .... .... ........ .... A kind of poetry.

Also.... .... .... .... ........ .... A kind of poetry.

Yeah bit others who had more then one mold the colors were something to look for in the 2000's as it was true the dark Red and Black were most constant mostly due to how many were run in those two colors so you could find easier the plastic type one wanted. Dark gray was my guess just a Black that Gateway facility had run out of black more so you got a dark gray, also the Black Discs could fade to a dark grey overtime mainly the organic discs more then any.

In terms of recent runs of Wizards, the Firm Nikko Wizards with the circle chain stamp are where it's at. These things just might be the best driving Wizard to date(Even better than the PW's). Brand new they are dead nuts straight with the tiniest bit of fade on the end. After a few rounds they become pretty much just a straight flyer with zero turn and zero fade. Combine that with the additional glide and speed they seem to have and you have a winner of a driving putter.

In regard to the person that asked about the tooling. The shop is aware of the PITA that this new tooling is in terms of putting grip. There are some wizards floating around the shop with no tooling at all on the bottom of them. They're mostly SS and SSS in flex. They also tend to have the lower shoulder and a flat top too :thmbup: If the tooling bothers you, just take a razor blade and slowly carve off the tooling. I've been told this is perfectly legal to do as the tooling doesn't have an effect on the flight of the disc.

Latest posts