• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gateway

rusch_bag

* Ace Member *
Besides the putters, I have never tried any other Gateway discs. I am looking to try out some of their mids and drivers but don't really know where to start. It looks like most of their drivers are stable to overstable and I am not really sure which to try. I can throw an Eagle-X around 340-350 on a golf line. What would compare to a LF and a LS and a Eagle-X? Also, how is the warrior? I have read the threads about them, but there hasn't been very many reviews. Where can I find re-tooled elements? Thanks in advance.

the warrior is kinda like a gator-x to a roc in the e plastic the s is a little more stable its a nice disc.
for a ls id say the assasin as far as a eagle x probably the hybrid but it is slower. And the lf maybe a sabre but it is also slower maybe a tuned up assasin or diablo dt.

The diablo is a good driver from gateway its between a starfire and orc.

I'd try a 168-172g assassin. I hear the E are more understable, but can't say from experience. I like the E's myself.

I don't think sabers are as fast. If you want control they are great in the 350 to 375 range. Dead str8 with just a touch of fade

rusch_bag said:
Besides the putters, I have never tried any other Gateway discs. I am looking to try out some of their mids and drivers but don't really know where to start. It looks like most of their drivers are stable to overstable and I am not really sure which to try. I can throw an Eagle-X around 340-350 on a golf line. What would compare to a LF and a LS and a Eagle-X? Also, how is the warrior? I have read the threads about them, but there hasn't been very many reviews. Where can I find re-tooled elements? Thanks in advance.

Eagle-X: Hybrid

LS: Illusions (certain runs)

LF: Blurr

Warriors are between rocs and buzzes in stability.

The best disc Gateway makes besides the wizard is the spirit.

Sabres are not fast, they take a lot of height to get to 350

Frank_Delicious said:
Warriors are between rocs and buzzes in stability.

I must have some freak Warriors, because mine are more gator'ish than roc or buzz. It really reminds me of the Star Gator(A little less overstable than the Champ Gators).

As for Gateway disc's to try, I would highly recommend the Blurr and Assassin. The Spirit is good too, but you have to season the hell out of them to make them $$$.

Protos and Domey Yellows are close to teerex, but not as easy to flip

Flat gummy White and Pink beat wraith. They are flippy and poopy

If you are wanting to start experimenting with Gateway discs I recommend the following...

Diablo DT
Assassin
Blaze
Sabre
Warrior or Element-X
Element (either version)

And any of their putters.

I dont know what kind of arm you have si I dont recommend the really overstable drivers like The Spirit or Speed Demon.

Earlier this year I went all gateway and I did

3x Nike Spirit from way beat to new
1x Assassin
2x Blurr
2x Urathane Sabre
1x E Blaze
3-4x Wiz

If it were now, I'd alsp toss in a warrior and new element. I never really liked the ELX or the old Element. I wanted to really bad, just never did.

i would always recommend the spirit. arm or not, it's great for a lot of shots. i use it for lots of different throws, from short skippy backhand throws to thumbers/tommies and forehands. you can have a lot of fun with a disc that overstable.

the sabre is the best fairway driver out there if you have a smooth throw. but any OAT will be punished by this disc.

except for wizards, those are the only gateway discs i carry. i've tried everything though, i just couldn't stick with the discs that were made with junk plastic. i liked :

diablo-dts
blurrs
assassins
and (the less stable) illusions

but I just couldn't find any in quality plastic. and between the different plastics i tried, these discs varied a lot in stability. just not consistant or durable enough to stay in my bag. maybe the clear evolution plastic they're going to use will fix some of those problems. if so, i'll be trying these discs again.

honorable mention (discs that just didn't make the cut because i liked something else more):

demons
warriors (the new ones)
speed demons
blazes

and i did find plastics that i liked for those.

dgdave said:

There is a recent run of Pink Blurrs that fly very similar to the proto pink one's. I have two of them in the bag and they are just like my old protos. I can't wait to try the retooled Blurr. They should be some bombers...and I bet a bit faster too.

I haven't tried all of their discs, but I threw a lot of Gateway for a while. My favorites that I've tried are:

S (soft and medium) Wizard
S and E Blaze (the S is awesome to carry multiple beatnesses of)
S and E Sabre (great if you have power to spare)
S and E Spirit

Speed Demons are good, but they've been retooled so much it's hard to tell what you're getting. Spirits are just as good.

I never got along with Illusions.

I don't think Demons have good enough range control to justify carrying.

Elements and Element-Xs and Hybrids are (were?) good discs, but not good enough for me to justify carrying. The other companies have stuff that's better enough for me to use instead.

I have a Diablo DT but haven't given it enough of a workout to say anything about.

I haven't tried their other discs, either.

BLURR said:
dgdave said:

There is a recent run of Pink Blurrs that fly very similar to the proto pink one's. I have two of them in the bag and they are just like my old protos. I can't wait to try the retooled Blurr. They should be some bombers...and I bet a bit faster too.

Like you, I like my Blurrs (predictable and stable). I haven't heard of the retooled Blurr though. Do you have any info. on it? When it will be released? Expected flight in comparison to the first run?

Don't throw thumbers with SPIRITS!!!! they roll to fast, and can/will roll all over to hyzer causing you to miss your mark. I don't care what any one say's on this thread it is not a good thumber disc.

Unless you can throw thumbers super far 325+ The E blaze is the best disc to use if you want control in the Gateway line up. If you are trying to go further do your self a favor and get a champion firebird.

that's 2 for spirits as thumbers, 1 against (for those keeping track :wink:). and at least one of those 2 is REALLY for.

dgdave said:
(I think spirits are bomb thumbers. Don't tell clizark)
I don't think he cares what you think, he said so himself... I, on the other hand, have used Spirits as successful thumber discs.

JerryH said:
I haven't heard of the retooled Blurr though. Do you have any info. on it? When it will be released? Expected flight in comparison to the first run?

I was talking to dave mac about this last week. he said that the blurr, blast dt, and rage (share the same top) are being retooled to make them a littl less stable. They are taking the "step" in the top that is currently 7/8" from the edge and making it 3/8" Im not exactly sure why but he said that it will make them a lil less stable and more glide, and less lift at the same time. so instead of teerexish the may be a little more wraith like. Im not sure if the mold is 100% done but he said that he want too have protos out before spring hits. Im talk to him tmro ill try to get a little more info. Ill ask him about the clear evo too!

LMAO..... the Spirit thumber is has got me in more trouble over the years than its worth. However, The E Blaze has netted me one thumber ace, a huge deuce throw in on a water hole, and a few "flare birdies". I guess I should say that i learned to throw thumbers from schwebby a few years ago, and what he helped me develop for the shot dosen't work with spirits they roll two fast and dont stay on there backs long enough. I carry Spirits in my bag, one beat and one mint, I love them, but they are not good control/accurate thumber discs. You should try an E Blaze or Firebird

p.s I love my spirits!!!!!!!!

Latest posts