• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

Spike said:
FHthrower said:
THEY lose a little credibility when they put slanted rims(Riot) or very shallow rims(Halo), or 64dome(Medius) into their designs. Smells of gimmickry. Who else does that? Oh yes, the vaunted Quest.
So what method do you prefer? ...Taking the top from one successful mold and combine with the bottom of another successful mold, and voilá... a new disc! And then add a millimeter to the rim width to turn a speed 12 disc into a brand new speed 13 disc? ... well, you see my point! Creative? I actually think that there's way too little trial and error attitude in disc design. If a discs design works, then congratulations to the manufacturer! If it doesn't work, it will be dumped eventually. The players will decide the faith of a mold, and from what I know, discs like Riot and Halo are pretty popular. Medius? I don't know.

I assume you're primarily talking about Innova, and their tweaking and overlap. The Groove...Innova's a sales whore. But one has to question a company like Latitude 64, only making discs since 2006, to be spewing out new discs every couple months, with lots of meaningless overlap themselves. They have 4 understable midrange. And what about Mirus, Riot, Vision, and now Flow? Geez, slow down and get your discs truly up to snuff first. Lat64 flooding the market with a bunch of "different" discs in such a short time is entirely busines/sales motivated, have no doubt.

Yeh, a lot of it is trial and error...design a disc, it doesn't work out too well, sell it anyways while hyping bogus attributes. The Groove, Dragon, and Monarch come to mind. And a ton of Quest. Name me any Discraft blunders.

BTW, my Discraft/Innova ratio is about 60-40 for drivers, fairway drivers, midrange, and putters...so I'm hardly a Discraft only fanatic.

booter said:
god damnit. Get the thread back on track if ur gonna bitch atleast bitch in pm to who ever you want to argue with.

Okay, how about comparisons between Flow and Surge...Rogue...Flash...Sidewinder...Beast? Anybody throwing the Flow who owns any of the others? We have 'discspeed's' comparison to the Nuke and Katana, but I don't really think the Flow is in the same class, speedwise anyway.

FHthrower said:
booter said:
god damnit. Get the thread back on track if ur gonna bitch atleast bitch in pm to who ever you want to argue with.

Okay, how about comparisons between Flow and Surge...Rogue...Flash...Sidewinder...Beast? Anybody throwing the Flow who owns any of the others? We have 'discspeed's' comparison to the Nuke and Katana, but I don't really think the Flow is in the same class, speedwise anyway.

Those are actually some fair comparisons. In comparison to my OPTO Flow's, I'd say the Surge has a bit more fade but similar speed and turn, the Rogue is much more understable - much like the sidewinder, both of which will turn over abruptly and show very little fade themselves if you find the right angle of release for the hyzer flip. The Flash is a tricky comparison because there is a lot of variation among the flash molds. I own a couple very domey esp Flashes though that are actually pretty darn close to the Flow in numbers. The beast... eh, i'm not a huge beast guy. I only own maybe 3 or 4 (for me that's not much) of them and I really don't throw them much at all. I can't really comment on it.

I threw my Flow in some headwind today, and for holes 380'-400' my Opto can handle some decent headwind. It does turn, but in a controlled manner. It does not really fade in that wind though.

I'm still totally loving my Flows. I'm using them more than I have any other distance driver in my bag since the Orc. It's just really versatile. I like throwing hyzers with my Optos because they pop up effortlessly from a little hyzer and then fade pretty good at the end. They also fly really well on low lines, which is one of my primary demands of my distance driver. I throw them low, hard, and with a touch of hyzer and they flip up and go forever. I had a lot more trouble keeping my Nukes low as they liked to lift out of my hand.

discspeed said:
I threw my Flow in some headwind today, and for holes 380'-400' my Opto can handle some decent headwind. It does turn, but in a controlled manner. It does not really fade in that wind though.

I'm still totally loving my Flows. I'm using them more than I have any other distance driver in my bag since the Orc. It's just really versatile. I like throwing hyzers with my Optos because they pop up effortlessly from a little hyzer and then fade pretty good at the end. They also fly really well on low lines, which is one of my primary demands of my distance driver. I throw them low, hard, and with a touch of hyzer and they flip up and go forever. I had a lot more trouble keeping my Nukes low as they liked to lift out of my hand.

Damn it, I want one or a few of these type of Flows. I just do not want to waste money getting duds again, Im still a little peeved about that. However, unlike you discspeed I do not have trouble keeping my Nukes low at all. Ive actually become pretty freaking accurate with them now. Anyway I dont want to derail the thread into a vs. the nuke blah blah. I need to talk booter into parting with one of his nice and stable Flow. I can definitely see the potential this disc can have I just didnt get to experience it unfortunately.

Got a 168g Opto Flow from DiscGolfCenter today. It was obviously FLOWN to me because the top of the dome was CRUSHED when I opened the box. All the other discs were fine but they were all flat discs anyway. So now it's outside in the freezing cold after having hot water in it upside down over a bowl for a couple mins. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a dud Flow.

And like dust in the wind, many dumb posts have blown away in this thread.

Feel free to post about the flow all you want in this thread. Any further derailment posts (I mean any post I even think has a 1% chance of derailing this thread) will get deleted. There are a 1000 threads on here to talk about disc inconsistency or whatever you want. This is the thread for the flow.

Leopard said:
so how does the dome on a Flow compare to that of a Destroyer?
Spike said:
Here is a pic of a Gold Flow vs an Opto Flow...
2dwdxr9.jpg
The Optos are usually more domey than G.L's. It's hard to compare with Destroyer because I've seen variations with both these molds. I've seen very domey pro Destroyers.

Jeronimo said:
wtf is this, DGCR? That much moddage was unnecessary...

I thought we had pretty much gotten the thread back on track naturally...

Leopard said:
so how does the dome on a Flow compare to that of a Destroyer?
:lol: ^^ troll posted you guise

<-- this guy right here just sold 2 Flows to a smiling mr. disc junkie (not the dgcr impostor)

a fly-before-you-buy driving range behind the store comes in handy ;)
additionally, there *were* bad Flows in the bunch he tested

booter said:
haha I knew it was a matter of time. He was bound to get some . I know if I get mo flo I'm gonna go to the dn sto
yeah i tried to 3-card monte him... 2 good pinks and an identical-ish bad pink. his were lower dome and higher PLH.

DGR solves shit once again -- domey/low-PLH Flows can turn and burn such that junkies don't like

booter said:
wah wah wah that's all I heard. Anybody having success with 168 optos? I kno I am :)
IIRC from my brief comparison when I got my "flat" blue GL, its dome is pretty much the same height as my poppy top Pro Destroyers, from what I recall. So, the shoulder on the Flow rises almost as much as the entire dome of a domey Destroyer.

Jeronimo said:
Got a 168g Opto Flow from DiscGolfCenter today. It was obviously FLOWN to me because the top of the dome was CRUSHED when I opened the box. All the other discs were fine but they were all flat discs anyway. So now it's outside in the freezing cold after having hot water in it upside down over a bowl for a couple mins. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a dud Flow.
i got one like this from DGC too and i just set it upright with the center balanced on a bottle for about an hour and the dome grew back

Latest posts