• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

Man, I am completely addicted to the flight and the distance of the Flow. Had two more effortless bombs today, one a hyzer flip on an elevated fairway and the other an anny that flex out at the very end of its flight. When my Destroyers get beat to this understability, they get squirelly. I think the Flow holds a much more predictable and tighter line for understable distance.

I can totally see why people think the flat GLs are too understable for primary max D duty. They are about the stability of a Star Monarch or Champ Sidewinder in a similar weight, as others have said. But at my altitude, that's a good thing. I do need a heavy Opto to complement it and I think I'm going to get one. I'd probably need a more overstable mold to complement it at lower altitudes (Destroyer, PD2 or XCal maybe.)

DiscJunkie, since you don't have OAT issues, my only guess for why you're turning and burning is that you are too velocity dominant and aren't getting enough snap on it. I recall Blake saying that even an understable driver won't turn until 2/3 to 3/4 through its flight if given a good amount of snap, and I've experienced that a couple times with the 161 beat Monarch I used to throw. I have also seen this evidenced in my own throws with the Flow, I threw it about 400' with all arm and got some pretty severe early turn out of it despite giving it some hyzer, but then I threw it closer to 450' later in that round on a flip to flat laser beam when I got some good snap on it. I've had two bad throws with the Flow, but probably 85% of my throws have been record setting distances or park jobs, so I wouldn't say the Flow is squirelly or anything. That's just my guess, not trying to rip you or anything.

emiller3 said:
DiscJunkie, since you don't have OAT issues, my only guess for why you're turning and burning is that you are too velocity dominant and aren't getting enough snap on it. I recall Blake saying that even an understable driver won't turn until 2/3 to 3/4 through its flight if given a good amount of snap, and I've experienced that a couple times with the 161 beat Monarch I used to throw. I have also seen this evidenced in my own throws with the Flow, I threw it about 400' with all arm and got some pretty severe early turn out of it despite giving it some hyzer, but then I threw it closer to 450' later in that round on a flip to flat laser beam when I got some good snap on it. I've had two bad throws with the Flow, but probably 85% of my throws have been record setting distances or park jobs, so I wouldn't say the Flow is squirelly or anything. That's just my guess, not trying to rip you or anything.

Well I actually never had any issues with the Flow turning and burning. I was just unhappy with the low amount of HSS and the overall sensitivity of the disc. I do agree with what you are saying about the snap as I have experienced that with many discs, mainly the Comet. I threw the comet for a really long time and now I throw the Fuse, I fully understand the importance of snap and what it can do for a discs flight. I can throw Comets/Fuse a good bit past 300ft at times around 350ft on pretty much laser beams due to the amount of snap I put on them. Dont get me wrong though Im not a perfect thrower and I do tend to strong arm discs from time to time especially if Im feeling off that day or didnt warm up enough. I have no problems shaping the flight of a disc. I have spent many, many hours in the field working on my line shaping abilities, snap and just about anything else you can work on in the field so I am pretty confident in my throw. Ive been playing the game for over 10 years and spent the majority of that time working on my drives and approaches (unfortunately not enough on putting up until recently), so my issues with the Flow are not really based on my form cause I can make it work but I just dont want to put that much effort into my throw with it every time I take it out of my bag. Especially when I can grab my Nuke and/or TD and put them out just as far if not farther with much less concentration cause they work for me much better and are not as sensitive as the Flow.

I too had some really long shots with the Flow that were long and straight but I had to really focus on my snap and the nose angle upon the release. For my Max distance disc I do not want to have to focus so hard on snap, release angle, etc. in my opinion thats just too much to worry about. With my Nukes I do not have to worry about everything being just perfect for a good throw.

I am just one of the few that just really didnt like this disc all that much. I did love watching it fly but for me and my game I want my discs to be consistent and for me the Flow is not what I would want to use for a golf disc. I am glad others are finding success with the Flow and I hope many more people will.

The hated it comment wasn't meant to show an extreme disgust for the Flow, more so I just wanted to use that line from In Living Color and since I dont really care for the Flow I couldnt think of a better place.

See, that is a legit "didn't Like it" post right there. FHthrower, pay attention you could learn something from DiscJunkie right here.

DJ - to each his own I guess, personally the Flow clicks with me and it's so easy to throw it far. I do like Nukes too though... and Bosses... and Halo's... and Destroyers... and Wraiths... and anything else that resembles the shape of a disc...

I finally got to throw some fine looking opto flows that Marshall St and Hoey hooked me up with and I am really digging the glide. I was getting 430 slightly uphill on a well snapped hyzer flip shot. Thrown flat they would make a huge swing out to the right but if given some air they would start to come back at the end, but at 10'-15' of air not so much fade. Definitely going in the bag as my previous max d shot was hyzer flipping a beat pro wraith and I suspect the flows might be more consistent. oh, and the two I was testing had the flashing still on, so when I sand the the flash off one tonight I will update if the flight seems to change drastically.

I took my Flows to the field for another session today. I am now quite familiar with the ones I have and to those who are claiming that this disc is squirrely or unpredictable I highly implore you to try it some more...Or at least come to terms with the fact that you didn't spend enough time with it. Just to review, I have 4 pink 175 Optos and 2 silver GL...

Optos: These are some of the most accurate and consistent distance drivers I've thrown. They have some high speed turn, but they also have a very consistent and rather strong fade. This cuts some of the distance potential, but with the -HSS combined with the strong fade it makes the Opto Flow a very predictable disc to throw distance lines with. When I was throwing my 4, more times that not they were all in a 10' circle. The biggest difference in how far they went was whether or not I got them to turn a little or just fly straight with fade. I was ripping these with slight hyzer and making sure to get some good snap/spin (this is VERY different than how I throw my Nukes/Bosses...with them I HAD to strong arm and spin wasn't important at all...) and they were going out dead straight, turning just a bit and gliding (barely taking them off their vector), and then fading. I had no means of any measurement, but by feel I would say I was getting 400'-430' of controlled distance out of my Optos on a very straight and slight S turn.

Goldline: My GLs are killer max D discs. They don't have the fade of the Optos, and from a similar release they yield a straighter flightpath. If I turn them over, they are also a lot less likely to come back. This makes them better for max D. My longest shot of the day (50' longer than any of my other throws on that rep) was a GL shot that I threw high and barely hyzer and it flipped slowly the whole flight and finished straight ahead. Most of my throws with the GL would flip up, turn a little more than the Optos, and then fade very gently and forward. They usually land exactly straight from where I threw (the Optos ended up a little left). The GLs were ALWAYS longer than the Optos now that I really know how to throw each disc to it's max potential.

After a month of throwing and now a few field sessions I'm liking my Flows more than ever. They are a perfect pair--Opto for working lines and when I need easy straight glide with a strong fade, and the GL for straighter, longer, and more understable finishing shots. If I had to choose between the two, I would probably go GL because the plastic is so grippy and I love straight D. I haven't liked a new D driver this well since the Orc/Flash, and to me it still feels/flies like those discs (as well as a beat PD) only longer and faster...There is a lot of contrast between the flightpath and predictability of these discs vs straight winged or convex winged discs imo.

I think I may need to try a heavier GL. I throw 172g for Orcs, and love their consistency. My 170g GL Flow is now too flippy for control drives.

SirRaph said:
I think I may need to try a heavier GL. I throw 172g for Orcs, and love their consistency. My 170g GL Flow is now too flippy for control drives.

Or from reading the post above yours, maybe try a Opto. Sounds like they may be more controllable.

Totally not seeing the "strong fade" on my Opto's. I'm not saying you're wrong Mike, I'm just not seeing it.

Jeronimo said:
Totally not seeing the "strong fade" on my Opto's. I'm not saying you're wrong Mike, I'm just not seeing it.

I'm throwing max weight in temperate conditions...

and you are throwing 4 same color and weight correct? that could point toward a lot, someone elses opto may fly like your goldline.

Thatdirtykid said:
SirRaph said:

Or from reading the post above yours, maybe try a Opto. Sounds like they may be more controllable.

Edited for error: My blue GL 169 is FLX Avenger SS flippy while the yellow 171 Opto is great. With flash it had the tiniest turn when there was traction. Now in the snow it's difficult to turn at all but it didn't fade a lot even in mild rear winds. I haven't thrown it after i took the flash off yet.

Thatdirtykid said:
and you are throwing 4 same color and weight correct? that could point toward a lot, someone elses opto may fly like your goldline.

I'm throwing 4 mostly identical pink 175 Optos and 2 identical silver 175 GL.

I have finally seen a Flow that flies like discspeed, booter and some others are talking about. I did not throw this Flow but I was able to witness Booter throw his 168 Opto Flow(Pink) and his never tried to come out of its Hyzer even when tossed in a slight headwind. 100% different flight than my two Max Weight Pink Opto Flow I had

I will say I would like to try one of these Flow, but at the same time Im to scared to buy any because I do not want duds like the other two I had.

disc junkie said:
I have finally seen a Flow that flies like discspeed, booter and some others are talking about. I did not throw this Flow but I was able to witness Booter throw his 168 Opto Flow(Pink) and his never tried to come out of its Hyzer even when tossed in a slight headwind. 100% different flight than my two Max Weight Pink Opto Flow I had

I will say I would like to try one of these Flow, but at the same time Im to scared to buy any because I do not want duds like the other two I had.

That's weird since the ones I'm throwing are max weight pinks. They definitely have high speed turn, but I can control them precisely, even in a slight headwind.

yea I was throwing these with a tiny hyzer. I didn't really throw them flat too much. Either way,these are the better of my flows in terms of handling a slight headwind better. I can get turn out of them but I have to force the anny some to get a big flex shot

My good Opto has dome and the flippy GL doesn't so look for domyness and an outer edge of the disc that does not droop low.

FHthrower said:
Jeronimo said:

Again, Jeronimo?...?? You the only one never gets fade on Lat64 discs? Even my Halo, which I can throw on a rope, has a hard fade at the very end, like 90 degrees. The day Lat64 designs a distance disc even remotely capable of finishing forward, I'll be back on board.

lol... 90 degrees would be a fun fade.

My Halo definitely doesn't have a huge fade. Can't fairly comment on the flows yet as I've only had a few throws with my GL in some snowy conditions but those throws didn't have a lot of fade. *shrugs*

FHthrower said:
Jeronimo said:

Again, Jeronimo?...?? You the only one never gets fade on Lat64 discs? Even my Halo, which I can throw on a rope, has a hard fade at the very end, like 90 degrees. The day Lat64 designs a distance disc even remotely capable of finishing forward, I'll be back on board.

FHthrower! I missed you man, HIGH FIVE!

I've thrown two Opto Flows along with one GL Flow, and none of those had what I'd call a hard fade...

Latest posts