• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

hey allow me to spam y'all one time.

i drawed a Santa stamp and it was stamped on white GL Flows. they ran 99, and it comes with a COA. coolest part for me is that we tried a 5.75" stamp diameter, and it looks freakin huge. Innova tops the market with a 5.25" stamp, so this was definitely mad science for us :mrgreen:

btw ALL gold line Flows i've seen have been *freakish* domey and grippy, like super-Star plastic. these bring the loud dome and skanky grip.

photographic proof:

same stamp on Ions too

$24.99 makes y'all prrrroooobably not the market for these :wink:
but, whatever. it's a limited edition FLOW so thereyago flo guys.

I was throwing one of my backup Flows in the field today and it was less stable than the one in my bag. The one I throw mainly is a clearer pink than any of the other pinks I've seen, and I think it's a bit more stable as well. The one I was using today was still awesome. If you like to throw with some hyzer they are very predictable. If you like to throw flat for D it is going to be too understable. I think the Flow's fade character is much more consistent than understable drivers like the Beast or Sidewinder.

i hope this has been reiterated by some of the retail guys on here, or those of you who've browsed a Flo box..

WILD variation in dome. i bet you guys are getting results that are all over the map. i'm talking about a 33% variation in overall disc height. best example i saw was a blue and white gold line... blue was 2/3 the overall height of the white.

domiest ones are white gold line. most gold line colors are flatter than optos. optos are fairly consistent with the mild to large dome.

discspeed said:
I was throwing one of my backup Flows in the field today and it was less stable than the one in my bag. The one I throw mainly is a clearer pink than any of the other pinks I've seen, and I think it's a bit more stable as well. The one I was using today was still awesome. If you like to throw with some hyzer they are very predictable. If you like to throw flat for D it is going to be too understable. I think the Flow's fade character is much more consistent than understable drivers like the Beast or Sidewinder.

And that is probably my problem. I really like to throw flat pretty much all the time, or with very slight hyzer, unless I'm intentionally throwing a pure hyzer or anhyzer shot, of course.

So I got to toss a GL dark royal blue flow a bit over the last few days. It has a moderate dome but nothing that makes ya say "damn! That's domey"

Good glide, about -2 hss and 1 lss. I could flip it easily with minimal come back, none on a hard toss. Flip tastic into just about any wind.

This one just makes me want to throw a GL.

dgdave said:
So I got to toss a GL dark royal blue flow a bit over the last few days. It has a moderate dome but nothing that makes ya say "damn! That's domey"

Good glide, about -2 hss and 1 lss. I could flip it easily with minimal come back, none on a hard toss. Flip tastic into just about any wind.

This one just makes me want to throw a GL.

I think you might have a typo in there. You threw a GL like mine and then you you mention fliptasticness being from a windy area and say you wanna throw a GL. Don't you mean an Opto? My dark royal blue GL 169 really fights back late if at all even thrown from snowy teepads with much reduced power generation. It has flashing and flies like you describe. I do need more driving field testing on my Opto 171 and that GL to draw more accurate conclusions but now the Opto takes winds well but fades too hard and early for ultimate D with ice and snow on the ground. And the testing so far has been in very limiting conditions. I was testing out a thin glove for throwing and suspect it limited D. I won't know for sure until i get to do another test. Another test was a competition where i had thick clothing coming to it straight from work in non throwing clothes. And being dog tired. I really won't know for sure how these really perform until i get to throw them in the spring. I suspect they suit me well. It would be nice to beat Beasts and the little harder fading and more power hungry Z Surge SS in straightness and D without maximum power throwing requirement. I'll see about this next year.

My Opto and GL vary in height noticeably and i saw at least 20 % height differences at the store i bought mine from. The same goes for Northmen so i really think that people get very different flights. If you can pick a disc for yourself and know what you want then the variation is great. Or if you can describe what you want and the internet vendors know what they do then you may get what you want. Otherwise it's a lottery.

I've been throwing my Flows for a few weeks now, but until today I'd not really taken them the field. I went to a huge open field today with my 4 175 pink Optos and my 2 175 silver GLs. I also had some S PDs and my Champ Xcal. I threw 12 times in each direction. The wind was swinging such that at times I was throwing with nearly straight head/tailwinds, and at other times it was more of a crosswind.

I haven't played much in the past couple weeks, and even though I played a round at a shorter course prior to going to the field, I still felt very rusty at first. My first couple of throwing sets I was spraying all over the place. I was taking lead steps that were too long and throwing shots too high in the air among other issues...After a bit I warmed up and starting throwing where I was aiming.

There are flight differences between the GL and Opto. The Opto is faster, but the GL has more glide. The Opto turns and fades faster and the GL is straighter. The more times I threw my Flows, the straighter I was getting them to fly. With a lot of arm they were behaving fairly understable for me, but when I slowed down a little and concentrated on my snap they were very long and straight.

All of the Flows were a little tricky into the headwind. Because it was a right to left headwind, if I gave them too much hyzer to get flat the wind pushed them way left, but if I flipped them too fast they went straight to the ground. Most of the throws I was able to get them out there a long way into the wind, but the line was unpredictable. My Xcal held it's line much better into the wind, but did not go as far because it's slower (I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PD2). When the headwind kicked up(15mph) all of my Flows had more high speed turn than I like to try and work with.

With the wind, the Flows were really long. The GLs were really long and straight with the tailwind, and my Optos had more turn and fade (just like in zero wind). With a stronger tailwind I had to throw them turned over to get big D.

Overall I'm still really liking these discs. They remind me of my super domey E* Destroyers deflashed and after a few good whacks. It was a sweet spot that they didn't hold for long before becoming much less stable, so I hope the Flow breaks in slower. I love the way this disc feels in my hand, and the look and feel of both plastics is awesome. My opaque pink Optos really make me feel like I've got a Destroyer in CE plastic. They are very workable for me on all distance lines, especially the Optos. They have a very consistent turn and fade, very much like my seasoned S-PDs. The GL reminds me of a P-PD with a straight/slightly understable flight with a very late fade.

emiller3 said:
Are your silver GLs domey or "flat"?

Fairly domey, but noticeably flatter than my Optos. It's the grippiest GL plastic I've felt.

My results today in snow 32F was different but Flows are all over the place with dome height at least. I haven't checked PLH from a large sample so don't know about that. I really don't like how flippy my GL 169 blue Flow is but it has basically no fade on low lines if one manages to avoid turning and burning. In difficulty level i'd say this Flow is more like an ultralight R-Pro Boss than a 167 Pro Katana. The Opto 171 Flow i have is a totally different beast. I like it very much and think it's gonna be tremendous without the flash in the winter and given enough hyzer to flip flat or mild anny in the summer it's gonna flat out bomb for D with predictability. I at least like Opto Flow very much if not love it outright.

I find that my Flows remind me of Pro Wraiths with more glide. My Opto gets the same release as a barely used Pro Wraith and my GL turns like a Wraith with some battle scars. The extra glide yields more distance but I don't feel the Flow has the power requirement of Destroyers or above.

Hated it!

in-living-color-season-3--200505260.jpg

NoLifeLeft said:
I find that my Flows remind me of Pro Wraiths with more glide. My Opto gets the same release as a barely used Pro Wraith and my GL turns like a Wraith with some battle scars. The extra glide yields more distance but I don't feel the Flow has the power requirement of Destroyers or above.

More likely a lesser power requirement with the Flows. GL needing even less than the Opto.

Latest posts