• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

All I have to say is a max distance driver that completes with the rest and has only a 2.2cm rim is very exciting. Small hands rejoice.

Roc Lover said:
Discspeed, is it a shallow rim thats slanted like the halo, if so then yuck.

Would you compare this to a wraith? Or Katana? I guess i mean, both are long and understable at high speeds, but wraith is better in the wind (although not a great wind disc) than the Katana, Both are touchy with the Katana being more touchy but longer on a perfect throw.

*Please dont say in between :(

The rim is not shallow or slanted like the Halo...It's actually nice and deep, and not really slanted at all. It feels like a longer winged PD/Orc almost exactly (which is one of the things that most appeals to me). It is better in a headwind than a Katana or a Wraith (the Opto, the GL is similar to a Wraith in the wind).

josser said:
All I have to say is a max distance driver that completes with the rest and has only a 2.2cm rim is very exciting. Small hands rejoice.

That's what I'm talking about...It feels so much better to me than the wider stuff, and when I rip on it I feel like I'm getting more power into it more consistently. I barely have enough power to throw the widest rims, and multiply that by the fact that I don't get the greatest grip on them and I think I'm better off with 2.2cm.

discspeed-
have you thrown the P DD2? wondering how the flow compares to that disc...

also- has cdgs gotten any of the newer FLAT champ or star firebirds?

thanks

booter said:
damnit mike. Now I have to buy some flows :/

seconded. doesn't sound like they will be as versatile as destroyers, but if the performance is like Mike says with a smaller rim, I'm down to try a few out.

steven said:
discspeed-
have you thrown the P DD2? wondering how the flow compares to that disc...

also- has cdgs gotten any of the newer FLAT champ or star firebirds?

thanks

I haven't thrown the DD2 (I'm waiting to try the S-DD2). I doubt that it is going to have much in common with the Flow as it's rim thickness is considerably longer.

I'm not sure about the FBs...I doubt we have any new ones. Innova East still has to get rid of a lot of old ones before the new ones start filtering out.

I just played a little pitch and putt course. I took my Flows just to see how they would fly on some standstill FH shots. I only ended up using the Opto, but it was great for my FH. I was taking one step and throwing it just a tiny bit turned and I would get a very tight 300' flex shot about every time. It comes out of my hand cleaner than just about anything faster than an Orc. I just love the grip of this disc and the way it leaves my hand FH and BH.

DD2 is the Frenzy right? Flow is actually pretty close to it in flight, Frenzy being a little more stable in my opinion.

The more I evaluate the throws I had with the Flow today the more I realize that it really flies like a longer, faster S-PD. I throw them with exactly the same release and angles as my seasoned and new red champy star S-PDs and they fly accordingly. Their max D line is exactly the same as my S-PDs as well...Ripping them high and turned over and letting them flex out straight and slow. It even feels like an S-PD with a similar shaped wing and similar top in that it has a sharp nose and then a high sloping shoulder.

discspeed said:
The more I evaluate the throws I had with the Flow today the more I realize that it really flies like a longer, faster S-PD. I throw them with exactly the same release and angles as my seasoned and new red champy star S-PDs and they fly accordingly. Their max D line is exactly the same as my S-PDs as well...Ripping them high and turned over and letting them flex out straight and slow. It even feels like an S-PD with a similar shaped wing and similar top in that it has a sharp nose and then a high sloping shoulder.

Think it would be any good for me? Probably goldline for me if so.

discspeed said:

Dammit! just when I start to build up the paypal funds and get the disc inventory down, you're in here saying all the wrong things. :x

JimW said:
discspeed said:

Think it would be any good for me? Probably goldline for me if so.

I'd try a GL in the 160s. My silver GL Flow is probably the best feeling GL disc I've thrown. It's got a little more flex in the flightplate than any other GL disc I've felt and also just seems all around a little grippier.

I threw my Opto Flow today as my main distance driver during our pre-tournament doubles. I had a couple of great shots...The first was a 400'+ high left-to-right anhyzer shot into a 10mph headwind that finished going straight at the basket that finished 25' long of the pin. I then had another shot where I parked a 390' hole that for the straight gap you have to hit a tunnel and stay below 10' the whole way. The amount of control I feel with this disc has made me straight up replace my Nukes with it. It is the most versatile distance driver I've yet thrown. I had successful distance shots today on hyzers, straight shots, S turns, and anhyzers, FH and BH. I almost feel guilty for liking it this much, and even posting this much...but I can't help myself.

rusch_bag said:
Tell me why these are going to be better than my destroyers and why I should buy one.

Because it feels and flies like a PD only one step up in speed/glide/range. This is the only reason I can figure that it is so intuitive for me to throw different lines with.

So it's very similar to the Destroyer but with a smaller rim? Cuz that's what I've been looking for. I don't know how the PD stability is compared to the Destroyer.

emiller3 said:
So it's very similar to the Destroyer but with a smaller rim? Cuz that's what I've been looking for. I don't know how the PD stability is compared to the Destroyer.

The Opto is slower than the Destroyer, but with more glide. It is easier to throw straight and has less side to side movement on distance lines.

I took my new Flows (1 Opto and 1 GL) to the field for some practice throws to see what they'd do. I also brought a few PD's and a couple Buzzzes to have a frame of reference as to how well I was throwing in general. I'm glad I brought the others with, because they showed me I was having a crappy day throwing. I maybe had only about 2 or 3 throws total that I felt good about. Right now, the Flows seem really touchy for me. If I threw them too flat, they would turn and burn. Too much hyzer, and they'd go decent but not really take advantage of the glide. The GL didn't have as much dome as the Opto, but seemed to have just as much glide. Either that or the massive Opto dome maybe actually cancelled out some of it's glide advantage. For a while, I was buying the comparison to flying like a longer PD. But I couldn't find as much consistency of flight as my PD's. In that respect, the Flow was remeniscent of the River. For me the River is all about hitting the right angle of release, and the Flow felt similar to that for me. But then again, I think I was having an off day of throwing altogether, so I'm not going to judge the Flow just on a few throws this morning. I don't think it will make my bag, but I'll give it some more throws whenever I get the chance.

Jeronimo said:
DD2 is the Frenzy right? Flow is actually pretty close to it in flight, Frenzy being a little more stable in my opinion.

Hello! This is my first post to this forum. I have read this forum for a while and I really like the knowledge shared here. Please continue same way in future!

Without more ado to Flow vs Frenzy. I have had one 170g P-line Frenzy(DD2) and it has been quite understable since first throw. So I had to find something same type of disc with more stable flight. Hence I purchased a 171g Opto Flow. I have to say that I suprised of the stability it has. It flyes like longer Teebird with more speed and glide. I'd describe its flight with values: Speed 10, Glide 7, Turn 0, Fade 3. Maybe these experices are result from quite big dome and almost unvisible flashing around the under rim. Let's see what happends when I sand it off... All in all I throw Flow as long thows(about 400 feet) as with Frenzy but with more precise flight. Before this the Frenzy has been my longest disc but maybe I have to change it to Flow when reaching for maximum distance with accuracy.

Latest posts