• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GRIP EQ alternative - sub $60 - no mod required

If you're wanting a grip bag, i suggest buying a grip bag. Yes, it costs more than $60, but it's worth the price, and not having to continually search for a DIY look-alike that pales in comparison is even better.

But, hey, that looks like a nice laptop bag.

There's some things it does better than the grip (and some it does not).

It holds more gear in a more useful fashion than the grip.

The Grip has a better strap design (wider). And an insulated drink pouch.

The putter pouches make no diff between this bag and the Grip.

It's strange how similar the bags are thought in functionality and setup though. Plus, for the cost conscious guy, this thing is great.

Thanks for the resized photos.

That is an awesome looking bag regardless of the price. For that amount of money it's a steal.

Nice job.

nice! thanks for posting this, definitely forwarding on to my buddies who are less inclined to drop anything above 100 bucks on a bag.

It looks like they have a Large and Small version, but the dimensions appear to be the same, I wonder if the Small would be good to use as well?

It looks like they have a Large and Small version, but the dimensions appear to be the same, I wonder if the Small would be good to use as well?
Was gonna ask the same thing. The one on here looks to be the large which is more than I would need. The smaller one would be great if it still held discs without them being too tight. Any comments or opinions on this will be appreciated.

Was gonna ask the same thing. The one on here looks to be the large which is more than I would need. The smaller one would be great if it still held discs without them being too tight. Any comments or opinions on this will be appreciated.

I tried to figure out if it was laid out exactly the same, and I really could not tell.

Large is 20 x 13.5 x 10.25 Small says 11.8 x 9.5 x 18.9 but doesn't say what the length width and height is in relation to the measurements. So it's hard to tell because they don't seem in the same order as the large pack.

Large is 20 x 13.5 x 10.25 Small says 11.8 x 9.5 x 18.9 but doesn't say what the length width and height is in relation to the measurements. So it's hard to tell because they don't seem in the same order as the large pack.

It's that 13.5" that I wanted - and why I stuck w/ the large. Going with less depth in previous DIY bags has always proven trouble.

Plus the OP said the L was pretty light when empty, so I don't mind a little extra space.

I am waiting for all the divider ideas to come up. Can't decide how to handle that in my backpack.

PVC frame w/ a little foam padding is really nice.

I went super easy and took two 1/2 gallon plastic milk bottles and cut them into 2 little "U" shaped holders. I then secured them to a 3rd piece of plastic that sat on the bottom of the pack.

|_||_|

Ascii art!

Worked really well and weighed about 50g.

I went super easy and took two 1/2 gallon plastic milk bottles and cut them into 2 little "U" shaped holders. I then secured them to a 3rd piece of plastic that sat on the bottom of the pack.

|_||_|

Ascii art!

I may look at the plastic storage bins at Target and cut away most of the plastic leaving just the bottom, a good bit of the rear and the sides. Then cut an elongated oval out of the bottom for some of the disc to sink down into. Just have to find the right size.

It's that 13.5" that I wanted - and why I stuck w/ the large. Going with less depth in previous DIY bags has always proven trouble.

Plus the OP said the L was pretty light when empty, so I don't mind a little extra space.

Hey man, I agree on the large. I looked at the specs of the small and figured that the discs would be too tight. The large is just perfect. I can fold the flap inside and still have just enough room to move.

Also, in order to hold water bottles and all your gear, I'd say the large is the go. The one flaw that I identified above is the water pouches don't bulge out; they are flat and the bottle pushes halfway into the side of the bag. The large bag minimizes the impact of this. (note: i've not tried the small bag)

And yes, it's not a heavy bag at all.

Also note that the dimensions are NOT the same. It's wrong on their website:

Large: 20 inches high x 13.5 inches wide x 10.25 inches deep
Small: 18.9 inches high x 11.8 inches wide x 9.5 inches deep

I chose the large, because of the depth difference. I think the bare minimum for a pack is about 9 inches, and then you might have a little stick out; the small barely qualifies. I wanted the extra inch or so that the large provides.

Hey Hyzer, is there any way you could take a picture of that? I'm having trouble picturing it in my head. I'd like to have driver/mid/putter dividers, but don't want to add any weight. And you're solution sounds feasible.

Hey Hyzer, is there any way you could take a picture of that? I'm having trouble picturing it in my head. I'd like to have driver/mid/putter dividers, but don't want to add any weight. And you're solution sounds feasible.

Me too.

Yeah, I'll see if I can dig it out.

I switched from a DIY camera bag that had that divider to a big quadshock bag about 6 months ago and then my 8 year oldson stole the camera bag so god only knows what happened to the divider.

If I can find it it, I'll post it.