• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GRIP EQ alternative - sub $60 - no mod required

Sorry fellas, looks like it is probably lost to the garbage at this point.

So I just drew it.

vX9lIs7l.jpg

Our milk gets delivered in thicker plastic bottles that are square sided and that's what I used. The thick plastic sheet was left over from some kid's craft stuff - I just wanted to beef it up a bit, but I don't think it's required in hindsight.

Hey bamfb, thanks for the link to that sweeeeeet bag! It will be a great replacement to for my old (regular) backpack that is really wearing out after 10+ years of use AND I can use it for disc golf! So great! I can't wait for it to show up. Thanks again!

:thmbup::clap::thmbup:

Hey bamfb, thanks for the link to that sweeeeeet bag! It will be a great replacement to for my old (regular) backpack that is really wearing out after 10+ years of use AND I can use it for disc golf! So great! I can't wait for it to show up. Thanks again!

Very nice bag for the price. Thanks for the info

No problem gents. Hope it works out for you.

Nice video! I got the same bag and am quite happy with it myself. Seems to do everything I need right out of the box. I agree some sort of frame in the bottom would be a nice addition but not required for this bag. I find the padded laptop compartment adds some comfort. All in all a great score!

:thmbup:

Just pulled the trigger on this, and gave an extra $1 to The Wounded Warrior project at checkout. I tried the Target jartop bag last year, was totally unimpressed but this looks to be a much higher quality bag, plus having the interior pocket dividers for small items looks to be a big selling point over my old revo.
With no shipping it was $65 total.

Im super happy with mine, fits all my discs. They do kind of sit diagonally when packed in there but no big deal. Fits an osprey 1.5l reservoir fine

So I found the cheapest, easiest mod ever to fix the 'discs sit diagonally' issue. I found a cheap wire rack in the freezer used to hold ice cube trays. I flipped it over and dropped it into the bottom of this bag and now all my discs sit nicely in the bag even if the bag isn't full of discs. It also gives the drink/bottle holder pockets on the sides just a little more breathing room. The rack fits in this bag like it was made for it. I looked around online and seems you can get these at Dollar Tree or some other discount stores for a buck! Works great for me, might be the ticket for anyone else that wants a cheap simple way to trick out this bag.

119100.jpg

P.S. The wire rack isn't even visible unless you dig to look for it and the backpack with the rack comfortably holds 18 discs (I counted! ;) ) plus 2 in the putter pocket. Thinking about maybe picking up a box of small garbage bags to fold one down to the right height and set the rack in it and set the whole works in the bag just to keep the inside clean in rainy/muddy/disc golf conditions. Plasti-dip or some sort of feet/bars on the bottom to set down in wet/muddy ground might also be awesome as I failed to golf today because I didn't want my nice new bag in the stormy/down-pouring/muddy conditions. Water is fine, but mud/dirt/preventable wear isn't right now. :/

Last edited:
so the wires for the discs are on the bottom of the bag or is it upright, like it would be in a freezer?

I actually cut down a small plastic container to just bump the discs up about 3 inches making them more accessible, but I'm not loving it. The bag is less stable with the discs higher up.

You flip the wire rack upside down so the 'rack' part is in the very bottom of the bag and 'legs' are pointing upward. I bent the legs outward slightly (diagonally from each corner) just to keep them from any possible interference with the discs. I just played my first round with the bag tonight on a pretty hilly course (Plamann Meadow Creek 18) and the bag was rock solid on slopes and never fell over. Hope that clarifies things! :D

Last edited:
No pics of the wire rack in the bag as of now. See the other pics of of the bag with discs in it this thread. Once you put the rack in the bottom then add discs all you see is discs sitting nice and straight. The wire rack disappears into the bag. Like I said before the wire rack fits almost like it was made for this bag, although it might be wise to put a something wear-resistant (some kind of plastic rectangle, etc) on the very bottom of the bag before adding the rack just to prevent the corners of the rack from creating wear points on the bottom. I haven't done this yet as I might just plasti-dip the bottom of the bag both inside and out to make it super wear-resistant.

Great work Hyzer. Way better than my non tech friendly version.

I'm really interested what, if any, mods you are doing to this thing.

I'm going to put a very small frame in the bottom, just to guarantee disc straightness, and to be able to fold the zip flap inside easily, instead of merely stuffing it directly under the discs.

I also am putting a wrap on the handle at the top, so I stop picking the bag up by the top of the unzipped opening. That habit would probably be bad long term.

So I found the cheapest, easiest mod ever to fix the 'discs sit diagonally' issue. I found a cheap wire rack in the freezer used to hold ice cube trays. I flipped it over and dropped it into the bottom of this bag and now all my discs sit nicely in the bag even if the bag isn't full of discs. It also gives the drink/bottle holder pockets on the sides just a little more breathing room. The rack fits in this bag like it was made for it. I looked around online and seems you can get these at Dollar Tree or some other discount stores for a buck! Works great for me, might be the ticket for anyone else that wants a cheap simple way to trick out this bag.

119100.jpg

That's a great idea. I still want something that gives me a small space to fold in the unzipped flap, as opposed to stuffing it under which I do now.

But I'm going to use this as a cheap, easy alternative in the meantime. How wide is your rack? What size would you recommend given your experience with the one you are already using?
Thanks!

NOTE: Been playing the bag for about a month now, and still no real complaints. The only thing I've had to do so far is wrap the side strap ends up so that I don't step on them every time I pick up the bag.

Last edited:
So my mods have involved:

Cut off the chest strap - I don't need that thing being in the way.
Sprayed the bottom with truck bed liner. It will probably take another coat - this should help fight off some water soaking / snow soaking.
I got a wire utensil basket that fit in the bottom, and cut the wires going the short way off. Flipped it upside down and it holds discs from twisting and weighs nothing.
Used 2 safety pins to pull together all the fabric on the sides, pinned on the outside. This helps a ton in keeping all that fabric from floating around.

My buddy with a very nice/expensive bag tried mine on and was almost pissed at how much more comfortable my bag was.

Latest posts