• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Dynamic Discs peaked?

Will Trilogy get a single big Win in 2020? . . Any NT or DGPT events? . .i think no

Depending on whether or not she tours, Kristin Tattar has proven at this point to be a talent that can take down a tour event now and then. And considering she is probably the best talent they have left in their stable (respective to their field) they should definitely get some more support behind her.

[edit]: sorry, completely missed page 2 somehow. didn't refresh my browser after opening this thread and getting distracted.

Dynamic

Tough to say whether Dynamic has peaked as a company. I'm a fairly casual player. I'm not sponsored by anyone, and I throw anything I want. I throw whichever discs I honestly feel are best for me on the course.

That said, I don't bag any DD discs. I've dabbled with many of their molds off and on. I simply don't feel that DD produces any molds that can unseat the Discraft or Innova discs I currently bag.

For me its all about the plastic quality and disc longevity. DD plastic (even premium stuff) simply doesn't last as long as Z, star, ESP, or champion plastic. If you throw DD discs long enough you will notice drastic flight changes over time.

I think DD will be fine as a company. They have a good business model and seem to promote themselves well. Plus, they have a rabid (loyal) following.

Obviously this thread was created as a result of Paige Pierce jumping ship to Discraft. This is probably a pretty big PR blow to DD. Over time DD will recover from this and continue as a viable disc producer.

I mean Rusco has been livin' the dream. Back in the day he was that guy selling custom stamped Wizards on eBay. He built that into a company that seemed to get bigger every year, turned Glass Blown into this mammoth event, has his own line of golf discs and disc golf baskets...the guy has been on a roll for forever. He's like the anti-Steve Dodge; everything he does works out. So yeah, right now maybe they might be in a little downturn. They will bounce back.

We have been lucky to have Rusco doing his thing. I'm saying this as a guy who has never bagged a DD disc, doesn't follow the DD social media and really has no attachment to that company at all. The DD thing has been good for disc golf. I'm betting DD will be fine, Rusco will do his next thing and it will all work out in the end.

At least I hope so; disc golf would lose a really big mover and shaker if it lost Rusco.

These things ebb and flow like every other team in sports. Sometimes you get good draft picks and build from within, other times you have to pay top dollar for top tier talent.

I think Trilogy is "building from within" as they have really targeted younger disc golfers with their branding.

They currently have Tattar, Cox, Tamm, Nikko, & Keith that could all challenge any given week, but I'm not sure any of them could be top tier week in, week out. Tamm & Keith are the highest probability, but still need a couple seasons...

Arlinghaus is the "next" best thing. So, if they can keep him locked up, they should be good long term.

DD got too big too fast. Too many high speed drivers and too many plastic options. That's true for all three of the Trilogy brands. Slow down. Thin the lineup. Tighten things up a bit. They should be alright.
Just a general observation about disc golf companies: they violate the business principal of "Good, better, best" when it comes to plastic options. People are pretty tuned into three options, once you add a forth you muddy the waters. I think the disc companies should stick with three basic varieties of plastics and people would understand their offerings better. Baseline/Champ-ish/Star-ish should be enough variety for us.

Just because Innova has DX/R-Pro/Pro/Champ/Blizzard/Star/GStar with Luster, Metal Flake and Jolly Launcher terms thrown in the mix and somehow gets away with it doesn't mean that is what the other manufacturers should copy.

You probably need hard and soft varieties on the baseline blend.

On all the bloody blends cause i ain't throwing that flexible crap.
lol

I think you can have a soft version of a plastic and a glow version of the plastic so long as you don't advertise it as another plastic. I mean Moonshine is glow Lucid/Opto/VIP, and that's what I'd call it. Advertising it as Moonshine makes it seem like a different plastic and adds to the confusion. If it's just glow Lucid or glow Opto it says exactly what it is.

You can lose top tier talent and still sell well if you have a solid grassroots plan.
NoVa Disc Golf club is completely saturated with Trilogy throwers due to one local pro who is sponsored and very approachable.

Same with South Dakota, there are a number of Trilogy players due to Latitude 64 sponsored player Justin from Rapid City. He is approachable but since I played with him on a card win his first year ever playing in 2008 he has felt that Innova is garbage even going as far as to want to take out all my Innova molds at the time and had to look away when I threw those molds. If the disc golf players in my area Pierre South Dakota are not using that then it is Innova as #1 in my area due to how available the molds are in my town. Discraft that is about 1/2 my bag is not really used by people who would be more willing to use the MVP/Axiom/Streamline trio as it is the 3rd closet brand to South Dakota, Discraft is 2nd closest after Dynamic Disc to South Dakota.

They currently have Tattar, Cox, Tamm, Nikko, & Keith that could all challenge any given week, but I'm not sure any of them could be top tier week in, week out. Tamm & Keith are the highest probability, but still need a couple seasons...

Arlinghaus is the "next" best thing. So, if they can keep him locked up, they should be good long term.

Tamm could be poised for a breakout year, but I tend to lean toward Tattar being someone who is top tier week in, week out. We just don't see her enough.

Notable appearances in 2019:

European Open - 5th
Worlds - 6th
USWDGC - 1st
Canadian Nationals - 1st
MVP Open - 2nd
GMC - 2nd
Delaware Challenge - 2nd

All of these events she either won or placed near the top of the field with Paige, Cat, Hokom, Weese etc in the field.

She's right there in the mix. It's time Lat ponies up and backs a full-scale U.S Tour for her (provided she is even interested in something like that).

Last edited:
Just a guess.. I see them positioned long term primarily as a retailer of all things disc golf. Opening up stores nationwide, etc, etc. Continuing to sponsor, or give jobs to "social media warriors" who in return market the brand. I still think that strategy is a smart business move, has to be a huge roi. I don't think they even "need" a team of sponsored players.

I agree with this too to an extent. I see them scaling back their line of discs as a smart move. I throw quite a bit of trilogy. But between the 3 brands, there was/is quite a bit of overlap in molds. Latitude cutting the overmolds, for example, is a good move. Leave that to MVP and Axiom. It's hard to find a lot of the molds I do throw in the plastic/weight I want already. I just don't see them opening up stores everywhere. Brick and mortar stores are already going away at a pretty fast pace. Disc golf stores aren't the future IMO.

I agree with this too to an extent. I see them scaling back their line of discs as a smart move. I throw quite a bit of trilogy. But between the 3 brands, there was/is quite a bit of overlap in molds. Latitude cutting the overmolds, for example, is a good move. Leave that to MVP and Axiom. It's hard to find a lot of the molds I do throw in the plastic/weight I want already. I just don't see them opening up stores everywhere. Brick and mortar stores are already going away at a pretty fast pace. Disc golf stores aren't the future IMO.

Everywhere? No, but if they continue to open stores in strategic markets where they can run local events, clinics, etc, it could be worth while. While I 100% agree most retail brick and mortar is a dying bread, disc golf as a whole is still young and the physical hands on aspect of the sport yields itself well to store retail, especially for new players.

DD got too big too fast. Too many high speed drivers and too many plastic options. That's true for all three of the Trilogy brands. Slow down. Thin the lineup. Tighten things up a bit. They should be alright.

Didn't they already cut like 1/3 of their molds earlier this year?

Truthfully, I own about a dozen DD discs and all were bought mainly in support of Paige Pierce, two of them are her signature discs. About the only one in my bag part time is a classic blend Judge. I can't foresee buying any more from them in the future.

Not just DD but I think the Trilogy popularity bubble has finally burst. They've hemorrhaged talent and are making deep cuts in their disc production.

I have no data to back it up, but I'd wager Latitude and Westside still make lots of moola in Sweden and Finland. They could probably thrive off just that.

Latest posts