• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Has the number of molds you throw increased or decreased over time?

Has the number of molds you bagged increased or decreased over time?

• Overall increase

Votes: 50 32.9%
  • Overall decrease

Votes: 68 44.7%
  • Stayed roughly the same

Votes: 34 22.4%

• Total voters

Qikly

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Curious to hear if the number of molds people bag has increased or decreased over time.

Personally, I've recently had a bit of an uptick in the number of molds I bag. I'd still characterize my lineup as fairly lean, but I've become more comfortable with bagging a mold for a specialized purpose. For example, the Proxy recently made the bag for its ability to hit straight tunnel shots. Even if I don't use it for anything else, it still will seem like a key link in the cog, however supporting the role it plays.

What are ya'll's thoughts?

Decreased bigtime for me. I used to have about 15+ different molds in my bag, premium plastic, so no duplicates/cycling involved. Now it's 10, and 4 are putters.

Decreased for me. I mostly because I've had discs beat in to fill slots that they wouldn't have before, and replacing other molds. E.g. I don't have a tern in my bag because I beat up a destroyer that hits the lines I used to use a tern for.

Definitely increased even though I'm not sure it's a good thing. I LOVE trying new discs and love to put something fun and new in the bag. It's harder for me mentally to remove a long time favorite from the bag. I need to make a rule that every time a disc goes in the main bag one comes out...

Mine went up for the first several years I played, then went down for a few years, now it's stayed pretty much the same for a few years.

Obviously there was an initial increase as I was learning the game, but once I got to the large sized bags, the number of molds I use has stayed fairly consistent.

The question is a little problematic. I imagine that most folks started with 1 or 2 or 3 discs. Then their mold count when up. Whether it has turned around and gone back down after reaching whatever maximum is, I think, the more useful question.

I started with 3 (DGA starter set), probably maxed out at 15 or 16, and has settled back down to 10-12 molds most of the time. Although sometimes I go play Zephyr or Roc only, so 1.

Something I've never done, and cannot ever see me doing is, carrying two of the same mold in the same plastic.

My bag ballooned while I was learning to throw a lot of common types of shots, but now I've got it down to what works really well for me and what I am consistent with, and its fewer. I have a bunch of utility stuff in my bag that comes out every once in a while, but the lion share of the work is done with about 6 molds now.

Kings
Felon - Warship
Verdict - Truth - Claymore

if its slippery out or I'm not throwing well I step down to Sorcerers and Trespasses from Kings, so I still bag them.

Wind means Enforcer and Trident come out.

If I need a spike hyzer to go higher than I think I can get 175g to go, I'll throw an Air Giant.

Most of the rest of the bag is for very specific shot shapes. 95% of my throws are down to 6 molds though.

The question is a little problematic. I imagine that most folks started with 1 or 2 or 3 discs. Then their mold count when up. Whether it has turned around and gone back down after reaching whatever maximum is, I think, the more useful question.

I started with 3 (DGA starter set), probably maxed out at 15 or 16, and has settled back down to 10-12 molds most of the time. Although sometimes I go play Zephyr or Roc only, so 1.

Well, yes, I assume no one bought 20 discs out of the chute. The intention was, how has your preference changed as an experienced player?

I fluctuate between 7-9 molds, fewer for casual rounds. My bag only holds about 11 discs total, so it is easy to keep the mold count low. It annoys me to lug around a disc that I rarely if ever throw.

I was carrying 12-15 for awhile. When I really started getting into MVP/Axiom I decided to cut back and just throw overmolds. I missed some of my Trilogy discs though, so I created a separate bag of just Trilogy discs, which caused me to buy a couple more discs. So I carry 7 or 8 at a time. My domier Trilogy discs only fit 7, and the flatter MVP has 8. So, per game less, but overall more?

Well, yes, I assume no one bought 20 discs out of the chute. The intention was, how has your preference changed as an experienced player?

Yeah. Figured.

Well, for a couple years I tried out a bunch of molds and carried a bunch of molds when I walked out the door. Then, as time went on, I figured out which ones I really preferred and had plenty of backups worn to different stages to cover different shots.

Now I've gotten rid of most one-offs but have a good stack of the 7 molds I thrown for 90% of my shots (OLF, OLS, Eagle, TB, Patriot, Roc, Wizard).

I used to carry ~13 molds but after losing some and reworking my game I have settled on a healthy 8. Might switch a few things up this year but I've already got backups for my Roc3 and Teebird, so I'm just looking to collect my favorites and cycle.

Most I ever carry is 9-10. I rarely carry the same 9-10 though, with so many new discs to try.
If I were to play a competitive round, I know what I would carry, but almost all my rounds are friendly, experimental, practice, or solo.

I've gone in cycles over the years. At one point in time I was carrying something like 18 discs and 13 molds. Then I got it down to 5 or 6 molds, with discs in multiple stages of wear.

Now that there is so much variety, and the premium plastics are so good, it doesn't seem so necessary to beat in molds. For just about any disc, there are a few other ones available in premium plastic that feel similar and will cover the stability you're looking for.

So my mold count is back up. Currently carrying 20 discs, 13 molds.

Latest posts