• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

So ... I am looking for a headwind fighting counterpart to the Hatchet. I know there has been mention of the Escape. Wondered if there are other Trilogy discs that would fit the slot?

Felon is super beefy and can handle any wind but you wont get the same distance.

A Boatman would work well. It's a little faster so it has more distance potential. I love them for the wind, they really hold their line well. Despite being a great wind fighter, it's not so overstable that it won't get good distance before fading out.

Another disc to consider is a gold line Villain. I just picked one of these up and was surprised that it wasn't as OS as I thought, and makes for a nice headwind distance driver. (Then again, I may have gotten a freak).

I would suggest a fluid escape, more OS then the lucid escape I have but not felon OS, if you're willing to bag both for a while once the felon is beat in, it is a gem, long and always fades, the Saint pro will get a little flippy once they get a bit beat, I've only had one and I threw it a bunch until it became a shorter escape. And I never quite trusted it once it bit right into a head wind a few times.
Also if you want to branch out from trilogy, a proton volt will fight any wind I've put it against, although I've never played in wide open places like Kansas.

Threw my Hatchet for the first time in a while. Forgot what a beautiful s-curve this disc gives you, and it holds great annys.

Parked a couple holes; gonna throw it again tomorrow.

Threw my Hatchet for the first time in a while. Forgot what a beautiful s-curve this disc gives you, and it holds great annys.

Parked a couple holes; gonna throw it again tomorrow.

I really thought I liked my Inertia until I threw a Hatchet.

I have been throwing the hatchet for a couple of years. It can be a squirrely disc but i have also worked some magic with it. I only throw VIP.

I had a TP that was great for rolling. I should probably replace it.

Fantastic disc - the science behind it is amazing - Bertoulli's principle got nothing on this baby.

Anyone throw the Air Hatchet? I just bought one online, 157g. How are they flying for you guys?

Just got my first Hatchet in the mail. I've carried Valkyries for a while and just wanted to try something new. I have a funday sunday bag that is either set up with mvp/axiom only or trilogy only at all times. I was looking to fill the valk/beast roll from my main bag and wanted to try this out

I ended up giving my Hatchet to my brother - it was painful watching him try to throw rollers with a Force.

I have another in reserve I'll be breaking out this wekend.

Just got my first Hatchet in the mail. I've carried Valkyries for a while and just wanted to try something new. I have a funday sunday bag that is either set up with mvp/axiom only or trilogy only at all times. I was looking to fill the valk/beast roll from my main bag and wanted to try this out

Got a couple rounds in this past weekend. Had a chance to throw the Hatchet all of 6-7 times...

Its too soon for me to comfortably say whether or not it'll here to stay, but I do think after this week (if it keeps going as well as it did and I dont loose it), I will be playing taps for my lime green Sandstrom Valkyrie :\ It flights VERY similar to the valkyrie, except 15 ft further consistently. I may grab a VIP to compare

The Hatchet is becoming my favorite disc in my bag. I just wish every hole was long enough that I only needed my Hatchet. Having to switch and throw 100% left handed has been difficult, but now that I found a laser straight or hyzer-flip to turnover disc I can better manage the right handed favorable courses out here in Vegas.

I got a 159 hatchet and it was surprisingly stable compared to my 169 VIP hatchet. Honestly their flight was so close after 3 throws I never even really bothered to throw it again. And I'm not really a person to jump around to different weights, so it will most likely never see the inside of my bag.

What are Hatchet throwers using as the stable and overstable complements to it these days? I added a Fuzion Escape and I like the glide on it, but it definitely can be coaxed into turning easier than I remember. I really like the VIP Sampo, feel-wise, but it's a bit more overstable than I'd like. Maybe I just need to beat one in. Curious to hear what others match it with...

My Hatchets are strictly for turnovers or rollers now. I throw a champ glow TL for flex or straight shots and a Thunderbird for stable to overstable shots. Anything further than those discs and I am throwing a Destroyer.

What are Hatchet throwers using as the stable and overstable complements to it these days? I added a Fuzion Escape and I like the glide on it, but it definitely can be coaxed into turning easier than I remember. I really like the VIP Sampo, feel-wise, but it's a bit more overstable than I'd like. Maybe I just need to beat one in. Curious to hear what others match it with...

If you're sticking to westside the Warship is very straight, and the Stag is a nice compliment. I would check out a VIP Stag in a heavier weight. I'm an Innova guy so I use Teebirds, for stable and Sexton Firebird that I'm trying to season for overstable. Sometimes I use my Flick if I need a total beefcake. I could also recommend the Convict for stable and Felon by Dynamic Discs. There's lots of options out there. Or check out a Lucid Esacpe, that shouldn't turn as easy.

I throw the VIP Air Hatchet, with an AIR Saint for stable and AIR Saint Pro for overstable. All three have a very similar feel in the hand, with really nice glide for my ~300' of power. This trio covers all my "distance" driver needs quite well.

The Saint Pro's beat-in nicely to get just a touch of turn with workable fade. In my Nutsac I'll drop the Saint and just roll with the Hatchet and Saint Pro. With varying amounts of hyzer, the Hatchet can be worked on to Saint like lines with ease...

I pair it with Saint Pro.

Nowadays Hatchet is only used for uphill / high anny shots and rollers. The most beat in Saint Pro works better for the turnover and hyzerflip to straight shots.

On thing I do have to say is that the Hatchet does go far. My longest throw is actually with a Hatchet into a decent downhill where I gave it a lot of hyzer and threw it relatively high. The glide took it way further than any of the faster (or slower for that matter) discs. Never gonna be able to repeat that shot though, but it was fun while it lasted. :)

Latest posts