• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

Really curious about the Hatchet.

I used to throw lots of heavyish DX Valks and a light (165g) Sandstrom Star Valk. They are among the discs that really like to travel offline right once turned over, which is great for those dogleg-right holes. They also travel far offline left on big high glidey hyzers, which is great for those dogleg-left holes.

I have also thrown the Sirius OLS and the Star SL/Pro Starfire. These discs basically wants to fly straight with not a lot of turn or fade. Even if they do turn over or you put too much hyzer on it, it's no going too far offline.

Which is the Hatchet more like?

I used to throw lots of heavyish DX Valks and a light (165g) Sandstrom Star Valk. They are among the discs that really like to travel offline right once turned over, which is great for those dogleg-right holes. They also travel far offline left on big high glidey hyzers, which is great for those dogleg-left holes.

I have also thrown the Sirius OLS and the Star SL/Pro Starfire. These discs basically wants to fly straight with not a lot of turn or fade. Even if they do turn over or you put too much hyzer on it, it's no going too far offline.

If you got a SOLS, I got a Hatchet for trade. The Hatchet is more flippy.

If you got a SOLS, I got a Hatchet for trade. The Hatchet is more flippy.

Sorry, Sols is long gone.

It's not exactly flippiness I'm wondering about. Think of the difference between a Cheetah and a Leopard.

In my experience it's more like your Valks. They will definitely do that continued turn, but when fresh or given enough hyzer (in calm conditions) will hold beautiful, long hyzers.

Does the Tournament or VIP Hatchet have more glide? Also does VIP turn just as easy as the Tournament plastic?

It's negligible, but I'd say the TP has a bit more glide. VIP turns just as easily once worn in, but I've found it takes a little longer to knock the new off of them than the TP.

I had the opportunity to test drive a new 170 Lt blue Metal flake Elasto several times over the course of a couple of rounds: I thought it flew more like a Sidewinder than a Valk. The hatchet was getting me a bit more distance than I'd see from a Sidewinder because that 6 glide rating is for real. Nice controllable distance for my noodle arm, with just a bit of turn and subtle fade in calm conditions. I could see someone with more snap than I have getting some nice hyzer flip lines... flipping to flat then panning right for a bit before a subtle fade... and covering a lot of ground in the process.

I liked it, and could see one finding it's way into my bag on a longer term basis. The issue would be whether a Hatchet and an Amp make sense in the same bag, or are they too close to each other... I like my Amp(s).

I had the opportunity to test drive a new 170 Lt blue Metal flake Elasto several times over the course of a couple of rounds: I thought it flew more like a Sidewinder than a Valk. The hatchet was getting me a bit more distance than I'd see from a Sidewinder because that 6 glide rating is for real. Nice controllable distance for my noodle arm, with just a bit of turn and subtle fade in calm conditions. I could see someone with more snap than I have getting some nice hyzer flip lines... flipping to flat then panning right for a bit before a subtle fade... and covering a lot of ground in the process.

I liked it, and could see one finding it's way into my bag on a longer term basis. The issue would be whether a Hatchet and an Amp make sense in the same bag, or are they too close to each other... I like my Amp(s).

I've found the Elasto to be slightly more overstable than the VIP and TP, which would put it closer to an Amp. Even in the normal plastics, the molds are close but I would say the Hatchet has more distance potential but it more susceptible to even minor winds.

Has anyone compared the Elasto head to head with the VIP or Tournament? I'm assuming stability would be Elasto>VIP>Tournament? I can vouch for the last two but am curious as to how Elasto compares.

OneMile,
A while back you had asked about an overstable compliment and I agree with others that the Saint and Escape would work but if you want to add just a small tick of stability I'm finding the Northman fits the bill perfectly. I'd say for stability on average Escape>Saint>Northman>VIP Hatchet>Tournament Hatchet.

Has anyone compared the Elasto head to head with the VIP or Tournament? I'm assuming stability would be Elasto>VIP>Tournament? I can vouch for the last two but am curious as to how Elasto compares.

OneMile,
A while back you had asked about an overstable compliment and I agree with others that the Saint and Escape would work but if you want to add just a small tick of stability I'm finding the Northman fits the bill perfectly. I'd say for stability on average Escape>Saint>Northman>VIP Hatchet>Tournament Hatchet.

I have found the Elasto to be a bit more OS than the other two plastics, but it may just be because it's pretty fresh.

Right now I am going Hatchet/Escape/Saint Pro and liking that setup. But I may give the Northman another look down the road. Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone still bagging this?
Sure am. :thmbup:

I carry two, one is for hyzer flips and lower turnover shots while the beat in one will turn over even on high shots / uphil shots. Especially the high turnover anny will glide for days and go faaar. I use the flippier one also for rollers.

As a kinda of a utility disc, I use the Hatchet also for some out of trouble overhand shots. I was really surprised to see how often Matt Dollar was throwing thumbers with the Hatchet on his videos. Really easy to range as it wont go very far on an overhand shot.

I carry a 164gm TP hatchet for under stable duties. It's pretty predictable when thrown properly. It seems more reliably US than some of the other under stable drivers (diamond, virus) I have. Ironically, the VIP Air Hatchet I have is more stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I throw them in Elasto or opaque VIP (the most stable versions). Hyzer flip, hyzer flip turnovers, and rollers.

TP can be useful for quick-flip rollers but I don't currently bag one.

It's also great to have these in the bag when I go to high elevations.

At 7k feet the Hatchet is a wonderful slow turnover disc.

Nice I need to remember the hatchet if I make it out west and play some high elevation courses.

The hatchet for me is super glidy, hyzer flip disc. Super long actually because of the glide. With the right tail wind this could go as long as almost anything.

It never stayed in my bag, I like the fury, or my most seasoned saint.
But..... it's one of those discs I won't get rid of because I did like it so well, I think I may go back to it

Best disc I ever added to my bag, for those long, either dead straight with a hyzer flip or a slight anni will turn right forever, RHBH, It goes a lot farther than my stinky/unpredictable FH-
Did I mention that it glides FOREVER -for easy, extra distance?

Just picked up a recycled hatchet the other day. I have been trying to like the Valkyrie, but it just doesn't feel comfortable to me, and I can't seem to consistently find good throws with it. Hatchet is more comfortable, haven't gotten a chance for a comparison in the field. I tried it a bit during a gusty round in the woods yesterday, but the conditions weren't great for learning a new understable driver. Hoping for a more comfortable, more glidey, Valkyrie.

Latest posts