• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Heat

had great success with the Z Dye HEAT on the most difficult hole on my home course. . .a thight low ceiling tunnel shot where i have to land flat and skip forward.
Most discs land and skip left or right into absolut jail . . the HEAT just skip forward

But i need to throw it quite soft with alot of "touch" for it to fly this way. .. but it flies quite far with just a soft throw

Been throwing an ESP Heat for a while and really liking it, first one I had got pretty flippy and I ended up losing it, working on a second one now that is a staple in my bag but I was contemplating a Z Heat, I've tried a Z Flx and Crystal Z and didn't care for them, for a bit more stability as the ESP one breaks in.

I'm curious about the dome on them, can anyone tell me if the flatter ones flew less stable?

Been throwing an ESP Heat for a while and really liking it, first one I had got pretty flippy and I ended up losing it, working on a second one now that is a staple in my bag but I was contemplating a Z Heat, I've tried a Z Flx and Crystal Z and didn't care for them, for a bit more stability as the ESP one breaks in.

I'm curious about the dome on them, can anyone tell me if the flatter ones flew less stable?

I have a few ZFLX, ESP, Ti and Z Dyed. . and of mine, the domey ones are the most US. . i go back and forth between HEAT and AVENGER SS and i find for both, that the flatter ones are the stable ones and the more Dome the more US they are

EDIt but i can add that most of my Heat and Avenger SS fly WAY different . . i have from quite stable to super flippy. . and they are all quite new

So I love the Heat, but I have three very different versions:
165g Elite-Z
173g Big-Z
173g Z-FLX

There's no discernable difference in dome between my Z-FLX and the Big-Z, but the Z-FLX flies significantly more stable of the three and plays more like a glidey mantis, which isn't a bad thing, but is very different from my other heat variants.
The 165g Z was my first one, and if anything has less dome than the others, but I have to put too much hyzer on it to get the flight I want, and once it starts turning, it never comes back.
I bag the 173g Big-Z... it's also easy to flip and with few exception, reliably turns over to finish.

So I love the Heat, but I have three very different versions:
165g Elite-Z
173g Big-Z
173g Z-FLX

There's no discernable difference in dome between my Z-FLX and the Big-Z, but the Z-FLX flies significantly more stable of the three and plays more like a glidey mantis, which isn't a bad thing, but is very different from my other heat variants.
The 165g Z was my first one, and if anything has less dome than the others, but I have to put too much hyzer on it to get the flight I want, and once it starts turning, it never comes back.
I bag the 173g Big-Z... it's also easy to flip and with few exception, reliably turns over to finish.

Z FLX seems to be the most overstable plastic variety Discraft makes. I have a 165g Z FLX Heat, and it will hold a line pretty nicely.

If you start getting into faster drivers Z FLX becomes way too overstable to throw for distance. Things like Nukes.

I've thrown a flattish Big Z, two domey Zs, and a domey Z-FLX. The Big Z is the flippiest, followed by the Z-FLX and then the domey Zs are noticeably more stable, very Comet-esque neutral. I think stiff, max weight Z Heats are the best option for the most (over)stability.

I am one of those unremarkable 300' throwers. I had thought that given the Heat's speed and stability that I would really like it, but I do not care for it. I have owned one in Big Z, and I currently have a domey one in ESP. Looks great, feels great, and could go anywhere once it has left my hand. This is one of the most unreliable molds I have thrown. The Heat is too inconsistent to even bother with flight numbers; it is wind, release angle and speed sensitive. It hates the wind regardless of the direction.

I think that the most difficult spot in your bag to fill is the understable control driver, and this didn't work for me; though clearly there are many others here who like it. I prefer the Fury, Hatchet or Nemesis as they are reliably understable for me and more consistent performers.

I am one of those unremarkable 300' throwers. I had thought that given the Heat's speed and stability that I would really like it, but I do not care for it. I have owned one in Big Z, and I currently have a domey one in ESP. Looks great, feels great, and could go anywhere once it has left my hand. This is one of the most unreliable molds I have thrown. The Heat is too inconsistent to even bother with flight numbers; it is wind, release angle and speed sensitive. It hates the wind regardless of the direction.

I think that the most difficult spot in your bag to fill is the understable control driver, and this didn't work for me; though clearly there are many others here who like it. I prefer the Fury, Hatchet or Nemesis as they are reliably understable for me and more consistent performers.

I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with the Heat only throwing it 300'. I have a Z FLX Heat 165g that is fairly steady out to about 375'. It'll definitely flip, but a decent hyzer release will usually keep it from doing so.

The Heat isn't the most consistent mold I've ever seen, but there are FAR worse options available. I will agree it isn't anything I'd ever throw into a headwind.

Twmccoy, I can't say why it's such a poor disc for me, but the results cannot be denied. A good disc is a little forgiving, but the Heat seems to exaggerate any mistake I make.

I'm sure if I search DGCR I'll find a thread titled something like, " Discs you hate that everyone else loves."

Twmccoy, I can't say why it's such a poor disc for me, but the results cannot be denied. A good disc is a little forgiving, but the Heat seems to exaggerate any mistake I make.

I'm sure if I search DGCR I'll find a thread titled something like, " Discs you hate that everyone else loves."

If you want something similar but more reliable, look at the Undertaker.

Rumpled, I am also surprised. I throw the AR and newer swirl ESP out to 350'(on the best of days...) on a nearly laser straight line. my original AR was just getting more turn and almost developing into a turnover driver before it was lost year before last year. I do have one AR that is real beefy for Heat though- big fade at the end, doesn't hold an anny line worth a crap

Rumpled, I am also surprised. I throw the AR and newer swirl ESP out to 350'(on the best of days...) on a nearly laser straight line. my original AR was just getting more turn and almost developing into a turnover driver before it was lost year before last year. I do have one AR that is real beefy for Heat though- big fade at the end, doesn't hold an anny line worth a crap

Mine is a one trick pony. If I throw it bh with hyzer, in calm conditions, it will ride that hyzer throughout its flight and carry down the fairway as far as any of my drivers. I can see the distance potential if I can beat some turn into it.
An anhyzer release produces a result much like you describe. It looks great out to about 250'. Then, instead of a slow transition to flat and then fade, it just seems to slow, rollover and dump.

I haven't thrown one in ESP, but my ZFLX Heat has grown into one of my favorite fairway throwers because of its reliability at a slightly powered down (I throw all my fairway shots from a standstill) speed. Thrown flat, it is a clean s-shot, and unlike my other heats (Z, Big-Z), this holds a tremendous anny line, like a further reaching buzzz. I can't do it with either of my other heats, but the zflx one will do it great.
As for wind, I only throw the heat with a tailwind or no wind.

ESP Heat

After all this recent Heat talk I decided to add an ESP Heat to my throwing stack in the field today. Not sure of weight, but I'd guess high 160s. I haven't thrown a Heat in a long while. The only other one I've thrown was Z FLX.

The ESP Heat is a long, flippy disc. Thrown with a fairly steep hyzer it would pop up flat almost immediately and then start bending slowly right, and stay there for the entire flight. This disc literally has NO late fade. Once it started drifting right there wasn't even a hint of late fade. The shots I was throwing weren't turning and burning, but they were ending up well right of the intended target.

Despite the disc wanting to go right the entire flight, I was still getting impressive distance. 420' consistently. The Heat was only about 25' behind all the much faster discs I had it up against today. If this Heat had just a touch of late fade I could have eked another 25' out of it easily.

Conclusion: The Heat isn't really a disc for me. Its way too finicky. I can't throw it at full power no matter how much hyzer I put it on. That said, I can't really say I expect the Heat to withstand the kinds of throws I was putting it through today. Its a disc designed for shorter throwers. Make no mistake, though. For only being speed 9 this thing will cover some serious distance. The 6 glide is legit, and the Heat penetrates surprisingly well. If there's even a whisper of a breeze at your face don't bother pulling this disc out of the bag though. It only performs in calm or downwind conditions.

I know someone prior said they were having problems with the Heat flipping at 300'. I find that hard to believe. The Heat does have to be thrown hyzer though. You'll get nothing out of it with a flat release. I did turn and burn the Heat a couple times at 400'+, but most of the time it just gradually went right for the entire flight. This is NOT a disc I'd ever choose if accuracy was a concern.

Try a Z Heat. They can handle more power, at least from my small sample size. I don't have your power, but at 360 feet of power, I am dead nuts straight. It's the closest flight to a Comet I have seen in a distance driver.

I replaced my Inertia with the Heat. I still love the OG Inertia better when it was in the old stiff Neutron, but the Z Heat is better than the more flexible current Inertias.

Try a Z Heat. They can handle more power, at least from my small sample size. I don't have your power, but at 360 feet of power, I am dead nuts straight. It's the closest flight to a Comet I have seen in a distance driver.

I replaced my Inertia with the Heat. I still love the OG Inertia better when it was in the old stiff Neutron, but the Z Heat is better than the more flexible current Inertias.

I have a couple Z Heats around. I'll throw one of those next. Prior, I'd thrown a FLX Z Heat 165g. It was less flippy than the ESP.

I really liked the glide and distance of the ESP Heat, but I couldn't stop it from bleeding right. The Z FLX doesn't do that. It just stays straight.

I agree the Heat is a very straight flying mold. You don't really get any fade. That can either help or hurt your throw. With the ESP I could have used a little late fade.

I was lucky enough to recently come across a supply of 2016 Memorial ESP GLO and TI Heats.

The PLH on the GLO ESP is the highest and has the most stability of any of my Heats, the TI from that run has a touch lower PLH, a fuzz higher than my old PFN Zs which are higher than my ESPs.

I haven't had a chance to give the TI one a full workout yet but the ESP GLO complements a regular ESP one very well.

Picked up and ESP Heat 174g on a whim a couple of weeks ago. This disc flies off the shelf like my lost beat up Champ Sidewinder did. I've been looking for this disc for 6 months or so. 70% power hyzer flip and go straight to glide right before slide fade 325' away.High anhyzers are great too. I can throw pretty decent rollers on a football field but trash on a real course with trees.

Great disc. First ESP disc I've had. Grippier than Star.