• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Help a noobie with a driver.

I've been playing for my first 2 months with a putter (discraft ringer) and a mid-range (innova kite). I recently picked up an innova shark as well, although I prefer the kite in most situations. I can throw the kite now about 275 and wondering if there is a driver I could step up too. I probably need something a little bit more stable than the kite. I don't throw with a ton of power yet, I threw my friend's wraith today and it was too much disc. I'd like to get something that is relatively/straight predictable and I could throw around 350. I was giving the discraft XS a look as a local store recommended it. Can a relative beginner handle that disc?

I think the XS is a good disc, Leopard is another good one to try. You also might want to check out a Valkeryie (spelling?). I started with a Leopard and Valk and they're both great discs for starting out and later (I still have my leopard in the bag)

I liked the leopard a lot but I got a pretty similar flight path and distance to the kite (maybe just a little lower and further), but not enough to warrant a purchase at this point.

Also, all three of my discs weigh 170-172, if I went down to 160-165 with the driver would that give me more distance? Or is the difference for a new player negligible.

Get a Trak. Very neutral flyer that is great even when you gain more power. Also, Vibram rubber is super durable and beats in very slowly.

Get a Trak. Very neutral flyer that is great even when you gain more power. Also, Vibram rubber is super durable and beats in very slowly.

Might give that a try, the course w/in walking distance of me is heavily wooded for 15/18 holes so durable plastic is a must.

Might give that a try, the course w/in walking distance of me is heavily wooded for 15/18 holes so durable plastic is a must.

If you get a lighter one, it will fly a little straighter under low power, but will turn much quicker as you gain power. I carry two of them and throw them over 400' on a variety of lines based on which one I am using.

Lace would be too speed overstable for his power for him to get a full flight out of it. Something like a Trak, Volt, Amp, etc. would be more neutral for his power level.

He should just get a champ ape and call it a day.

Thanks for the help all, might try the XS and a track

Make sure to report back with any findings and further questions! If you take the time to dig deep enough and know what to look for there is a wealth of great information available on this website. I am confident you will enjoy the Trak. :)

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Psst...if you feel like spending a few more bucks, get an Amp, along with your Trak.

It's durable, and good for your range.

Try a Leopard, Teebird and/or Patriot are great options. Also an Archangel is not a popular choice but its a great first driver.

Try a Leopard, Teebird and/or Patriot are great options. Also an Archangel is not a popular choice but its a great first driver.

The OP already tried the Leo. He also said he needs a durable disc, so the AA is not a good choice, since it only comes in DX.

I'd suggest two drivers: one of Teebird/Rival/FD for slightly overstable; one of Patriot/Fury/Amp for slightly understable. This will give you flexibility in line shaping through the woods.