• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me Get 450'

krik72

Par Member
Heres two tosses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelP-tx6bQo

Theres a bit of a tailwind in both clips.
Toss 1 was a P-PD and it didnt quite get flat and landed 350'.
Toss 2 was a beat DX Destroyer on a slightly turned over golf line (went over the top left of the goal) and was about 370'-390'.

Reaching back farther allows accelerating longer giving more D if you can get the timing and body control right. Try turning the heel and the back toward the target. Also don't tilt the hips and stay straight bodied and leave the hyzer, flat anny angles to run up line and planting position and always throw with a 90 degree arm swing relative to the torso. Unless you want to shape flight. You're running for a mild anny direction wise. And planting on the line you're moving on meaning flat. With the arm pulling hyzer. Consistency...

Try to get the elbow closer to the target before straightening the elbow. Can you accelerate harder with the arm and get a wider follow through swing that doesn't drop under the initial hyzer angle of pre rip motion? Try to get the hips farther right than the knees and shoulders even more. Those should give a clear improvement once you can do everything properly. Significant strides are in the cards for you.

Thanks a bunch JR I think most of that makes sense but Ill probably have some follow up questions once I get back out to the field.

Yeah, it looks like you're jamming your hips. Notice how your leg and hip pivot/rotation is locking up and stopping just at the time you are going into the hit...correcting this will give you at least 20' extra power, if not more.

Oddly, I find that a headwind from the left allows me to get some really nice rips with my Destroyers. I put them out with a touch of hyzer and they follow this huge, gorgeous s-curve. It makes me giddy just thinking about it. :D

That direction helped me get 437' with an ESP Nuke thrown high nose down anny flexing to flat by the time it landed. Annies hold the angle longer meaning faster falling and faster average speed across the entire throw on average if one uses a disc that cuts the wind well. The disc sees an effective onrush of air that is faster than the speed vs ground producing more lift giving more airtime. If airtime x average speed equals more D than calm weather you threw well with a proper disc and got lucky :)

pause it @ :38, you could turn a little more, back to the target

Also the step leading into your planting step looks forced and awkward and like its robbing you of some timing and power.

Things look pretty good, but one thing I might try is pausing a little more after the plant and really get a big and powerful weight shift going from the back leg to the front. Like...try and stay a little leaned back on your back foot (not turned away any more than you are) and really shift your weight more forcefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMbSi_-3-k

Besides adding power, it can also help to add a little OAT...which will help you get a longer turn.

krik72 said:
Heres two tosses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelP-tx6bQo

Theres a bit of a tailwind in both clips.
Toss 1 was a P-PD and it didnt quite get flat and landed 350'.
Toss 2 was a beat DX Destroyer on a slightly turned over golf line (went over the top left of the goal) and was about 370'-390'.

I noticed several things on your throw that you could work on
1: Make sure you reach straight back if you want to have a better pull through. In your slow motion throw I noticed that you swing your arm back behind your left shoulder robbing you of some of your power. At your reach back to your release point should relatively be a straight line
2: You seem to rotate on your toes instead on the center/back of your foot which means you are leaning to far forward when you go to throw or it means that your not properly balanced (this majorly limits the power you can get on a throw)
3: Your weight transfer stops right before you release the disc making you throw pretty much with just your arm. You might want to open your hip up a little more to allow your lower body to carry you through and not just your shoulders
4: When you add all these issues up it creates one more probelm. You have no pivot or follow through so all the power you do have is wasted. If you look at pros throwing you will allows notice that there opposite soulder is pointed at the target once the throw is complete. In your video you are facing it with your chest.

This is a video of a friend of mine who can pretty easily hit 500 and his form is very good. Its not perfect but it should help
http://www.youtube.com/user/JNick916#p/u/5/Rfndg_Jxxy4

man I wish I could throw like Dillon

built like me...younger probably by 5 million years but still

Aaron_D said:
Things look pretty good, but one thing I might try is pausing a little more after the plant and really get a big and powerful weight shift going from the back leg to the front. Like...try and stay a little leaned back on your back foot (not turned away any more than you are) and really shift your weight more forcefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMbSi_-3-k

Besides adding power, it can also help to add a little OAT...which will help you get a longer turn.

I would have to completely agree with you on this! I threw discus for 8 years, college included, and one of the biggest things is the weight shift. It's called loading up. You load your back leg, then release all of the energy to the front leg on release. Great job, Aaron.

It seems like you are shifting your weight just a tad bit too early on your throws, causing less rotation/follow through.

Try making that second step of your X count. It's important that you turn more away from the target. Perhaps even slow your motion down moving into the throw. As I watched that side view I noticed that your footwork is quick and you could probably get more power from the lower body if you would slow down a bit (early in the throw) and accelerate later.

I found this to work in my case, but I'm certainly still learning and developing also.

Also, after reviewing the footage more, you don't have much of an elbow lead. I would review the Dan Beto right peck drill. By getting that elbow lead, it allows more snap/acceleration of the disc, your "hit" is early, and the elbow lead would fix that right up :)

Only thing I could add to the discussion is this: It doesn't look like your hips are turned far enough during the reach back. It will limit how much you can get on your rotation. IMO it will help you get a better reach back, turn farther away, and possibly even pause just after the plant -- all thoughts which are expressed above. The hips link your legs to the rest of your body.

Latest posts