• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me proceed to less bad form. :-)

Havre

Hello. Got to stop lurking about here to get some pointers.

I've played disc golf like 15 times but got hooked cause it's a super fun and super even more anoying game (lots of trees at my home turf).

Anyway, just filmed two bad videos to help me analyze myself and hopefully get some pointers what I just focus/prioritize on to get the most value. I'm probably doing a million things wrong but just want to get a hint with the first few things to start with then go from there. As you can see I start with standstill throws cause I want to start with the basics. Like, try to have decent spread and accouracy and throwing generally straight. Hyzers and those things like angling my release can come later.

I throw Roc/Cobra like 65 meters and leopard/teebird 75-80ish and a mamba maybe 90 if I'm lucky but I want to be able to get the little extra oompf to get through some of the longer holes on the course at home. :)

I have a vid from the side and one from back. One thing I've already noticed myself is that I could probably somehow push my weight forward even more so that I "fall over" front abit more. Maybe I'm just taking too long of a step. Sometimes I do feel like I fall over more and move my weight more forward but then I end up throwing the disc into the ground. At one point I also griplocked it but that almost always happens when I don't push my weight forward.

Well I've talked way more than I should've already so hopefully someone can tell me what to focus on next then one step at a time, one thing at a time I might be able to improve abit sooner or later. :)

You are turning your front foot/side open before your weight shifts - spinning out. Need to maintain your balance in more athletic posture and resist turning/spinning(catch yourself) on the front side somewhat.

Thanks for fixing embedding. And thank you for the videos. I feel like I need to take a slightly shorter step in order to weight shift property before opening body up, that last video drill should help with that. I'll go butt some walls around. :)

This might be a stupid question but in terms of how the throwing motion "feels". How close is it to normal golf? If it's ALOT the same then I have a personal reference/guideline as to how it should feel when throwing a disc since I'm a good golfer, but a ****ty disc golfer. :)

Actually, just looking at my video right now, if I swung like that in normal golf I would probably cause a massive hook. Think you guys got me thinking the right way, I think I know where I need to be going. :)

Last edited:
What is a reasonable expectation or goal concerning distance with one-step throws? With a midrange or fairway driver like cobra or leopard.

I can hit 200 feet with a lucky one step. Sometimes excellent form is an accident. It's just hard to make it on purpose

Made a new vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFa2LHPiSnY

Analyzing this in 0.25 speed isn't that easy.

Two things I notice. Disc wobbles weirdly during the "pull" but maybe that isn't an issue. It does often cause me to hyzer though I'm having a hard time releasing flat. Maybe just need to keep my upper body more upright.

Second thing is that my leading leg doesn't seem to be bracing enough. It's still pretty bent during the "follow through" and I feet like it needs to straighten and stiffen up. Now, when it doesn't, I'm imagining that the momentum from the hips and weight change isn't being transfered into my upper body. This might also fix the issue that I'm falling over a tad too much, I feel like my end posture should be more upright since the power from hips etc should send an upwards force through my body. Some pro people almost seem to jump or lift from the ground in the late stages of the throw because of this...

Is my analysis somewhat on point?

K8DeUSS.png

Also looking at this image. My leg seems to need to brace and straighten out abit more. And I also seem to be opening shoulders too early still as someone awesome here already spotted. And I'm not leading with my elbow enough... I need to do more elbow ninja drills and try to delay the shoulders, this will easily give more snap and acceleration.

This might also be one of the causes to the fact that I can't hit a football field consistently.

Last edited:
For the most part yes. Pause the vid at the top of your reachback and compare. Your throwing shoulder is not rotating back down under/on plane, your shoulders/spine are tilted back over instead everything rotating back and forth under on the same tilted spiral. Also note your grip position on the disc, your grip is too close to the tip of the disc instead of the outside edge, so you should be turned back/leveraged against the disc more. The disc is also angled nose up from your arm.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Just gonna self-analyse/think out loud again.

Filmed a video from behind me. I feel like I'm hugging myself too much in my back reach. Causing me two wing around me, reducing the late stage acceleration.

I feel like I have to start further away from my body in the beginning so that I can pull the disc into my peck before releasing, now my angle causes the disc to go away from my peck.

I get no snappidy snap this way. :)

As I guess most of you know, being crap is deeply frustrating.

Anyway, today, at the practice field I got frustrated because I felt like I was going backwards so I slowed down a bit to think things through. I need to know how to properly engage my lower body and stop throwing with my arm so I started to focus on the similarities between golf and disc golf.

Being a good (I think so anyway, hcp 10 :eek:) golfer I figured I'd try to extrapolate those skills into disc golf. So I basically just started swinging the disc as if it was a golf club just getting the sense of how it feels to hit a golf drive. And then from there straighten the pull across the chest and elevate the angle of the swing from SUPER HYZER (which a golf shot would be) to a more level shot.

As I said I tried to do this to get my brace working and get the power transfered from my legs.

I made a video of it that probably looks a bit stupid but anyway. While actually swinging it felt pretty good but when I started adjusting the level/angle and reaching back it looks like I started doing stupid stuff with my right leg anyway, bending it too much? and not at all doing what I would do to hit a long golf shot. Sometimes I did it better, sometimes worse.

Anyway, doing this I threw pretty much as long as I would strong arming it, but not as straight/consistent.

I just wanted to vent this and ask you guys if I'm going the right path, is this a good approach before I start developing this and putting effort and time into it. I just don't want to waste time on pursuing a "tactic" that might not be wise and thus learn do to the wrong things.

Should I continue trying to "Golf with a disc." and try to find my consistency with it? Basically try to get my legs to do almost the same thing as they would during a normal golf shot, while the upper body is the thing that would be different (cause of straight pull, reach back and leading elbow etc).

That was too much text, I'm sorry. Thanks a bunch in advance if you've come this far and giving me your time. :)

Video link!
https://youtu.be/I3Ek_g59MgI?t=106

Footwork is better, but you are over-rotating your body through the hit, and you are curling your arm around the disc in the backswing and collapsing your upper arm to your chest/hugging yourself instead of swinging straight back and getting the elbow out forward/upper arm wide from chest and keeping it out/forward swinging through forward with the front shoulder more closed.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...&t=13291&sid=23b968719f118cdecb84ebfbf5ea8c55

Footwork is better, but you are over-rotating your body through the hit, and you are curling your arm around the disc in the backswing and collapsing your upper arm to your chest/hugging yourself instead of swinging straight back and getting the elbow out forward/upper arm wide from chest and keeping it out/forward swinging through forward with the front shoulder more closed.

Yep, thank you. :) Gonna work from the bottom up. Make sure feet, legs, hips are in order before focusing on my upper body. :D

I'm back with a story!

I feel like i had abit of a breakthrough on the football field today and that is awesome.

Normally my routine goes like this:
Step 1: See some form video on youtube
Step 2: Think: "Oh that sounds and looks obvious and simple, can't be hard."
Step 3: Try it out on the field during the weekend evenings when those pesky footballers aren't around.
Step 4: It doesn't work at all and everything is crap
Step 5: Get super frustrated
Step 6: Decide to quit discgolf and go fishing instead

Then another week passes and it repeats from the top. Anyway, this time around I watched the video with Dan Beto where he takes the reachback out of the equation completely only throwing from the power pocket (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo). I tried this and from a planted standstill I threw like 50 meters or so with my midranges and fairway drivers slightly farther.

However, things started to get interesting once I started doing one-step throws like this. I noticed that I thew 50-70 meters with putters to FD's. At this point I had thrown like 100 discs and was starting to get tired but I kept at it cause the results were interesting. Not only did I almost get to the same distances as I did with a reachback before but I did it more consistent and with more accouracy, keeping the lines better.

Then I started small light X-steps just as the ones Dan did in his video and it just kept adding to my distance but WITH maintained accouracy and consistency. Then finally I started doing reachbacks again, I always started my X-stepping with the disc in the power pocket and only took like a 30-50% reachback to progress slow. This is the first time I've ever really felt the sensation of the disc really RIPPING out of my hand. Shortly after I hit personal best with pretty much all my discs.

85 meter Valkryie (150 class)
80 meter Mamba
75 meter Teebird / Leopard
70 meter Stingray / Roc

Keep in mind, most of the shots went dead straight, no sky-shots and no grip locks and that crap. If anything went wrong it was actually that the disc ripped out of my hand early, using powergrip, but maybe I need to grip it harder as the "hit" gets more powerful. Most though went perfectly with a hyzerflip and hit my line consistently. At least 80% of the throws. Normally I'd get these distances with accouracy like 20% of my shots. I know these numbers are embarrasing and most of you would probably hit it in your sleep. But for a tiny guy like me I'm somewhat proud anyway. :)

Just wanted to share the story because I was so happy today leaving the field when FOR ONCE I actually felt like I had made progress. I imagine that my form is somewhat better now and if I keep doing this the results will hopefully improve even more.
The goal of throwing 100 meters consistently isn't THAT far off at least. I'm going to shut up now, got carried away and wrote alot of text.

Cheers if you read this far!
Havre

Latest posts