• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

With Highbridge providing for a pilgrimage for some each year, the question might really be...does that area support a road trip without it? Certainly not disparaging the local courses or locals themselves, but is there the quantity of quality play to really make the area a destination without Highbridge. It might be suggested a similar drive could land you at Lemon Lake, Ludington or Iowa.

With Highbridge providing for a pilgrimage for some each year, the question might really be...does that area support a road trip without it? Certainly not disparaging the local courses or locals themselves, but is there the quantity of quality play to really make the area a destination without Highbridge. It might be suggested a similar drive could land you at Lemon Lake, Ludington or Iowa.

Probably not. Mont du Lac isn't too far away, Sandy Point is somewhat close.

For my money, give me the Flip City area, if HBH is dying.

Probably not. Mont du Lac isn't too far away, Sandy Point is somewhat close.

For my money, give me the Flip City area, if HBH is dying.

As someone who traveled over 12 hours to play Highbridge and surrounding area I can emphatically say that without decent condition Highbridge it's not worth a pilgrimage-level trip. Sandy Point is fun, but you'd definitely get more bang for your buck elsewhere. That being said, if you're in it for more than just disc golf the area is BEAUTIFUL and we had a ton of fun outside of just the golf.

My buddies and I go on a disc golf trip each year and Summer 2017 we were planning on flying in to Minneapolis hitting Blue Ribbon Pines and then driving North and spending the week at Highbidge. Since we are not real big into the rave scene, we probably should re-tool the trip and just play the courses around the twin cities. I was very active on the PDGA forums while Chuck was designing the original Highbridge courses and was always looking forward to making it there. Looks like I missed the opportunity to play HBH in its prime.

Methinks y'all are making too much of this. Although, to be fair, I went over Memorial day BEFORE the raves. Did they really trash everything that is great about Blueberry, Woodland, Granite and Gold? Because those are four GREAT courses.

I mean, Abby sucks -- always bumming nachos and bogarting everything is her path. But the GOLF, man. The golf.

Methinks y'all are making too much of this. Although, to be fair, I went over Memorial day BEFORE the raves. Did they really trash everything that is great about Blueberry, Woodland, Granite and Gold? Because those are four GREAT courses.

I mean, Abby sucks -- always bumming nachos and bogarting everything is her path. But the GOLF, man. The golf.

I will share this again. https://www.facebook.com/scott.markquart/media_set?set=a.1158425774219489.1073741863.100001562336656&type=3

Playable but trashed after the July rave.

Anyone have any more recent pics within the past week? Credit you for being the only one to ever show pics at Highbridge.... I heard John did a great job spending all of August cleaning up and mowing... Then another Rave was hosted last week so I'm curious at current conditions.

Heading up this weekend...It is all about the golf so I don't care about Abby,the politics behind John's decision, or even unbuilt structures... Just want to know if courses are mowed and in decent shape

My buddies and I go on a disc golf trip each year and Summer 2017 we were planning on flying in to Minneapolis hitting Blue Ribbon Pines and then driving North and spending the week at Highbidge. Since we are not real big into the rave scene, we probably should re-tool the trip and just play the courses around the twin cities. I was very active on the PDGA forums while Chuck was designing the original Highbridge courses and was always looking forward to making it there. Looks like I missed the opportunity to play HBH in its prime.

As you are landing on 30R, look out the right side window. That's your first course, there on the other side of the airport fence. Get a cart.

Went with 9 buddies this past weekend... Had the time of our life Friday through Monday.

Here's some takeaways as this was our 5th year....
-The Chestnut campsite was cleaned up and in really good shape. This was a worry of ours after hearing about the rave but looks like John went in and got all the trash out.
-There were 5 carts and we used 4 on Granite and Gold. Good times strapping coolers to the back and playing in two groups of 5.
- Granite was in prime shape. Freshly mowed and the best conditioned course on property.
Tough throwing in 20-30mph winds but the group did pretty well score wise.
-Woodland was also in good shape and we played it twice. No overgrowth or areas where shots couldn't be played.
-Bear is our favorite... The test of wills. John did us a favor and mowed it the morning of because he's a good guy like that. Some of the fairways are a little long but that's why you play the Bear, to give your game a wake up call.
-Blueberry was in good shape. Yes, there are some areas that were muddy because of the festivals but most of these areas you should be throwing over anyways (fairway of #2 & #3) so don't worry about it.
-Gold was a tough one for us. It's one of the best courses in the world and in the previous year's it was majestic. We aren't concerned with the unbuilt structures but the trash just made you a little sad. It's not like it's in the fairway and an obstruction but just disappointing to see such a beautiful piece of land be littered. Tent was in the way on back 9, I think #15 but just add it to the challenge.
-Chestnut was in awesome shape. It's still a 2 star track but freshly mowed and fun at night. Played til 4am Sunday morning.

There is a lot of unwarranted complaining on this thread (WAY before any rave was hosted there) and to be honest, it sounds like a lot of dudes who don't know how to man up and survive the elements. If your expecting Sandy Point or Rollin Ridge type amenities then sorry but it's not happening. You're looking at one guy taking care of 6 courses, and the idea is to go up there and leave with bloody legs, the smell of someone who hasn't showered in a few days. and no shoulder left because you you just threw 150-200 holes.

Really hoping there is a 2017 for Highbridge... Of course I don't want to see Raves and weirdo festivals, but disc ain't paying the bills,
so if it's the choice of No Highbridge or Highbridge with Raves sprinkled in then I guess there has to be the some techno.

I see the same people over the last 4 years on this thread go up there and just complain yet keep returning? f you don't like Highbridge then don't go... Pretty easy concept. I for one am already planning next year's trip.

Good to hear. This year was my first trip up and I certainly didn't want it to be my last. My heart did break a little from pics of 8 Gold's fairway. It was pristine when I was there only a week before the Infrasound.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 71
Went with 9 buddies this past weekend... Had the time of our life Friday through Monday.

-The Chestnut campsite was cleaned up and in really good shape. This was a worry of ours after hearing about the rave but looks like John went in and got all the trash out.
-There were 5 carts and we used 4 on Granite and Gold. Good times strapping coolers to the back and playing in two groups of 5.
- Granite was in prime shape. Freshly mowed and the best conditioned course on property.
-Woodland was also in good shape and we played it twice. No overgrowth or areas where shots couldn't be played.
-Bear is our favorite... The test of wills. John did us a favor and mowed it the morning of because he's a good guy like that. Some of the fairways are a little long but that's why you play the Bear, to give your game a wake up call.
-Blueberry was in good shape. Yes, there are some areas that were muddy because of the festivals but most of these areas you should be throwing over anyways (fairway of #2 & #3) so don't worry about it.
-Gold was a tough one for us. It's one of the best courses in the world and in the previous year's it was majestic. We aren't concerned with the unbuilt structures but the trash just made you a little sad. It's not like it's in the fairway and an obstruction but just disappointing to see such a beautiful piece of land be littered. Tent was in the way on back 9, I think #15 but just add it to the challenge.
-Chestnut was in awesome shape. It's still a 2 star track but freshly mowed and fun at night. Played til 4am Sunday morning.

There is a lot of unwarranted complaining on this thread (WAY before any rave was hosted there) and to be honest, it sounds like a lot of dudes who don't know how to man up and survive the elements. If your expecting Sandy Point or Rollin Ridge type amenities then sorry but it's not happening. You're looking at one guy taking care of 6 courses, and the idea is to go up there and leave with bloody legs, the smell of someone who hasn't showered in a few days. and no shoulder left because you you just threw 150-200 holes.

Really hoping there is a 2017 for Highbridge... Of course I don't want to see Raves and weirdo festivals, but disc ain't paying the bills,
so if it's the choice of No Highbridge or Highbridge with Raves sprinkled in then I guess there has to be the some techno.

I see the same people over the last 4 years on this thread go up there and just complain yet keep returning? f you don't like Highbridge then don't go... Pretty easy concept. I for one am already planning next year's trip.

BRING OUT THE GIMP!

In all honesty, I was holding out all kinds of hope before the Infrasound, I believe I gave more benefit of the doubt than a lot of people. Unfortunately as of late, I find it hard to be optimistic. If one rave can do so much damage, if it keeps up on a twice a year (maybe more?) basis, I just have a hard time seeing the place last that much longer.

I don't want to be that way, I mean I can drive there in 35 minutes and play what are honestly a couple of my favorite courses ever (BB and Granite I'm looking at you), but it is really disheartening seeing trash, wrecked tents, condoms, tampons, what have you all over the place, pristine fairways turned into chunky soup, and the fact that at any given time, people could take a trip out there spanning many hours of driving time, to be welcomed by something like this. I suppose it's just tough to hold out optimism with the given circumstances. I am very happy to hear you had a good time, and God knows I only want that to continue and to improve, but I'm not putting money on it at this moment, knowing how quickly things can shift.

P.S. I'm still pi$$ed at the dirtbag raver who decided to steal a couple signs that I made from Granite

Most people take issue with all of the shenanigans and hijinks that John has started/promised up there and never came through on.

If he promoted it as rough camping, and somewhat manicured courses, with occasional trash piles/human waste from ravers, then it would be a different story.

Leave it at that.

And maybe try to not double book the Honka.

So glad to hear this news as we are up there the end of this month! I have never expected luxury and ammenities from HBH and personally have never had less than an amazing time up there. Is bear still only 9 holes?

I'm not staying on site so I'm not worried about anything other than the courses remain playable, but I am rooting for the place. There are a lot of other things I believe I will enjoy in the area- fishing hiking, wildlife.. So if all goes well and Highbridge keeps it together it is a place I could return to year after year.

1d54ef415ccadc9b0ee5eaabe6060d50.jpg