• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hips and shoulder timing.

I actually forgot about this and figured I'd throw it in here as well.

http://www.heavydisc.com/2015/01/instep-and-hips.html?m=1

Thanks to all of you, it's really helped. Slowing down has really helped too. I'm hitting clean lines regularly at distances that where normally the exception before. Much less effort involved and I think they'd go further if they weren't turning over.

Now I have to work on pushing off my back foot and using it to counter balance. Again, much thanks!

I actually forgot about this and figured I'd throw it in here as well.

http://www.heavydisc.com/2015/01/instep-and-hips.html?m=1

Thanks to all of you, it's really helped. Slowing down has really helped too. I'm hitting clean lines regularly at distances that where normally the exception before. Much less effort involved and I think they'd go further if they weren't turning over.

Now I have to work on pushing off my back foot and using it to counter balance. Again, much thanks!

This is a great video, thanks for posting. I am going to try switching up my form and doing the Will lean back and see if it helps me any.

Haha, well I made a little progress today with the lean back. Was able to feel more of the weight shift, but still only getting it out to about 300-320. Messed around with different feels and grips, but same consensus of right around 300 on good feeling rips.

Oh well! It is way better than my run-up. Maybe once I can hit 350 from a stand still I will go back to practicing the X-Step.

Haha, well I made a little progress today with the lean back. Was able to feel more of the weight shift, but still only getting it out to about 300-320. Messed around with different feels and grips, but same consensus of right around 300 on good feeling rips.

Oh well! It is way better than my run-up. Maybe once I can hit 350 from a stand still I will go back to practicing the X-Step.

I'm pushing 280' - 300' from standstills. I've been throwing 175g and up. I might try dropping down. I had a good tug on a Saint Pro, and it s-curved in a nice glide. It may have broke 300' (give or take according to uDisc) had there not been a tree in the way. I've never had either of my Saint Pros flex before. At least it looked like that because it released a little left, curved right missing a barn, and stabilized in a nice straight line.

I'm pushing 280' - 300' from standstills. I've been throwing 175g and up. I might try dropping down. I had a good tug on a Saint Pro, and it s-curved in a nice glide. It may have broke 300' (give or take according to uDisc) had there not been a tree in the way. I've never had either of my Saint Pros flex before. At least it looked like that because it released a little left, curved right missing a barn, and stabilized in a nice straight line.

In my opinion, weight makes a huge difference for my throwing arm. My longest discs are the 146 Blizz Wraith, 157 Jade, and a 157 Wave.

I need to take more video though, because some of them are starting to turn over. I'm afraid it is more of me torquing it over, than actually turning. Hopefully I can get some videos today!

It's a fine line between distance and other variables like wind. I haven't tried many discs lower than 167, and prefer to throw max weights for control in the winds here in ND...but that's just my preference. I use the thought process that i'd rather change the mold than the change weights to adjust the flight pattern. The question I have to people is: what kind of max distance do pros reach using a standstill and with what type of disc? If the best pros only standstill 350, well then i'm super happy with 300...

It's a fine line between distance and other variables like wind. I haven't tried many discs lower than 167, and prefer to throw max weights for control in the winds here in ND...but that's just my preference. I use the thought process that i'd rather change the mold than the change weights to adjust the flight pattern. The question I have to people is: what kind of max distance do pros reach using a standstill and with what type of disc? If the best pros only standstill 350, well then i'm super happy with 300...

I agree with changing molds vs. changing weights. If a disc is too stable for me I'd rather throw a disc that is better for that slot rather than take the risk of how a 150 class happened to mold up. Plus I notice essentially zero difference in most discs from ~165-175g...more difference in plastic type and wing/PLH height than weight. That being said I avoid below 168g for whatever arbitrary reason...but my most stable discs in my bag are 168g, 169g, and 170g for example. My 168g Destroyer is wayyy more OS than my 175g. That being said I have seen some people get great results with 160g and below, just saying there are different views.

Most pro's do not throw standstill for distances in tourney footage, but they can hit 400+ for sure. I have personally hit 400' from standstill a few times (with speed 12/13 stuff...350' with fairways and speed 9's for sure), and huge arm pro's have 100' of golf distance on me...so 350' standstill is an achievable goal but most people cannot do that.

I prefer 174 and up. I do have a couple discs such as my Underworld where I have a 174g and a 169g in my bag. I always grab the 169g for when I need an extreme right turn shot, or attempt the hyzer flip. The 174g is a bit more gradual so that comes out when I need a more shallow turnover. I apply this to the really overstable discs too for a range in behavior. Straight discs I try to keep each within a few grams.

So if I'm hitting 300-320 from a stand still now, do you guys think it's smart to try an x step? I feel like I lose all my power doing a walk or run up so have just been practicing the stand still. I was thinking 400' was the goal for stand still shots... Am I wrong in this thinking?

So if I'm hitting 300-320 from a stand still now, do you guys think it's smart to try an x step? I feel like I lose all my power doing a walk or run up so have just been practicing the stand still. I was thinking 400' was the goal for stand still shots... Am I wrong in this thinking?

The whole purpose of practicing from a standstill is to feel all the important timing. At some point you have to link it all together. Unless your just planning on using a standstill for everything, which really would be fine. But you'd be loosing on some potential.

Guys with + arms are usually good for the neighborhood of 350 from a standstill. Obviously more from the big bombers. I've seen will S throw one about 450 from a standstill in person. But that doesn't mean you can't start X stepping before then.

The goal is to throw smoothly, and if you're hitting 300+ from a standstill you're doing great. Use an X-step, it can help you feel other tempos and momentum transfer. If you're throwing worse from X-step you know something is wrong. If you feel some better momentum transfer, then it may give you even greater distance from standstill when you try those again. Not a lot of people can throw 400+ from standstill consistently, and I'm sure the ones who can throw from X-step most of the time anyways and throw 450-500' with the X-step.

Once you can do stand still shots 300+ then you know you aren't strong arming, and working on the X-step in parallel will help you to evaluate if it's adding extra distance, or causing you to lose the clean hit point that you have developed from stand still.

I'm all about recommending standstill practice for people struggling with a variety of issues, but past a certain point adding in the X-step can help make a lot of other form issues/benefits more clear.

I prefer 174 and up. I do have a couple discs such as my Underworld where I have a 174g and a 169g in my bag. I always grab the 169g for when I need an extreme right turn shot, or attempt the hyzer flip. The 174g is a bit more gradual so that comes out when I need a more shallow turnover. I apply this to the really overstable discs too for a range in behavior. Straight discs I try to keep each within a few grams.

Plastic type and wing shape/PLH height is way more important than a few grams here or there...my 168g Destroyer is WAY more overstable than my 175g. Like 75-100' difference.

Plastic type and wing shape/PLH height is way more important than a few grams here or there...my 168g Destroyer is WAY more overstable than my 175g. Like 75-100' difference.

I was wrong about the gram split. The Underworlds are 166g and 174g. I agree that I don't see much difference in a few grams. I need to look into the parting line height. I've noticed lately that wing shape can be a little deceiving. I used to associate a downward turn at the outer edge and indication of overstablity, yet my overstable Tridents are basically flat with a thicker edge and my understable Underworlds turn down at the edge.