• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hornet vs. wasp vs. generic overstable mid

discspeed said:
helly said:
I'm going to assume your power level is a good bit higher than mine if you're flipping a new Z Buzzz?

When I throw a new Z Buzzz with slight hyzer it doesn't flip up flat, but the disc still pushes almost completely straight on a slight hyzer line, so my point was that I got similar/or a little more action out of the Pains I tried. When I threw them slight hyzer I was visualizing a similar line as when I power a Vector or newish/premium Roc...More of a streched out line that is still curving the whole time. What I got was a shot that flew almost completely straight despite the disc's hyzer orientation in the air, and they did actually flip up a couple degrees as well. This was in calm conditions.

Ahhh, okay. Yeah, I know that flight of the Buzzz. See, from what I'd read about the Pain, and the reason I picked up a couple of Optos in 176 and 177, I too visualized that line of a slightly hyzering Roc, but being able to hold it in the wind, and especially after a few tree slaps. Well, here's hoping my mileage varies. If not, I may have to check out a Vector.

helly said:
discspeed said:
helly said:
I'm going to assume your power level is a good bit higher than mine if you're flipping a new Z Buzzz?

When I throw a new Z Buzzz with slight hyzer it doesn't flip up flat, but the disc still pushes almost completely straight on a slight hyzer line, so my point was that I got similar/or a little more action out of the Pains I tried. When I threw them slight hyzer I was visualizing a similar line as when I power a Vector or newish/premium Roc...More of a streched out line that is still curving the whole time. What I got was a shot that flew almost completely straight despite the disc's hyzer orientation in the air, and they did actually flip up a couple degrees as well. This was in calm conditions.

Ahhh, okay. Yeah, I know that flight of the Buzzz. See, from what I'd read about the Pain, and the reason I picked up a couple of Optos in 176 and 177, I too visualized that line of a slightly hyzering Roc, but being able to hold it in the wind, and especially after a few tree slaps. Well, here's hoping my mileage varies. If not, I may have to check out a Vector.

I tried 2 GL Pains and an Opto, and the Opto was the best out of the bunch for me (it was 177 or 178), so hopefully you will have good luck with yours.

Ya, I used a Pain for a month or so, but after using it in the wind a couple of times, I couldnt take it anymore. It has a great line and decent stability in calm conditions, but was totally useless in the wind. It sounds like their GL discs reaaally vary and I dont have the patience to keep trying different colors and the pain is in the closet. I am trying a Hornet atm but plan on checking out the new run vectors as well.

weedjj said:
It sounds like their GL discs reaaally vary and I dont have the patience to keep trying different colors and the pain is in the closet.
This is nothing new, though I am under the impression that they're getting better.
I am trying a Hornet atm but plan on checking out the new run vectors as well.
The Hornet is more of a tweener disc than a pure mid range. It's fast and changes it's behavior quite a bit when under or overpowered, sort of like a driver would. It also straightened more than I was expecting when thrown in a very light headwind, so I'm uncertain how it'd handle bigger winds.

I guess im just trying to understand exactly what it is about the wasp that you dont like? In my opinion, it is the perfect os compliment to your rocs. It has a very similar grip, and is consistently more overstable than a roc. if at all possible, find an older run z wasp, or a stiff esphnxndnx one. They are money! I have thrown a pain, and actually had one in my bag for a while. it seems os, but it does not hold a hyzer line into the wind.

Hyzerline49 said:
I guess im just trying to understand exactly what it is about the wasp that you dont like? In my opinion, it is the perfect os compliment to your rocs. It has a very similar grip, and is consistently more overstable than a roc. if at all possible, find an older run z wasp, or a stiff esphnxndnx one. They are money! I have thrown a pain, and actually had one in my bag for a while. it seems os, but it does not hold a hyzer line into the wind.
From another thread.
NoLifeLeft said:
Last couple of Wasps I bought were not much more stable than a Z Buzzz. It is why I quit the mold.
And hunting down older runs simply isn't an option for most people, not for a regular disc that gets thrown all the time.

• jI
Hyzerline49 said:
I believe i was trying to say esp haha

jubuttib said:
Hyzerline49 said:
From another thread.
NoLifeLeft said:
Last couple of Wasps I bought were not much more stable than a Z Buzzz. It is why I quit the mold.
And hunting down older runs simply isn't an option for most people, not for a regular disc that gets thrown all the time.

Thank you for this. I have a friend here who's trying to get me on USDGC Rocs. I'd love to, I really would, I want a champ Roc badly, but even if he's willing to sell me a few hilariously cheap almost new, if I throw them into a stream, or some reeds, or some nasty woods, and lose it, I can't replace it. I just bought two Opto Pains for 14 bucks each, and if I lose one, I can buy another, or 2, or 10. That's what I need. It's why I don't throw CE TeeBirds, or Firebirds, or 11x Rocs.

I could easily buy one or two, sure. Make them a staple in my bag, a requirement, even. And then what? Lose one, and dish out a premium amount of coin for a replacement, IF I can find it? No thanks.

EDIT: As for what I didn't like about the Wasp I tried, it's like was quoted from the other thread. I tried a brand new one and it seemed no more stable against wind than my seasoned Rocs, it just finished left. I need a disc I can shape in the wind like I can shape my Rocs on a sub 15mph day. The Pain, from everything I've read, sounds like it can do that job, unless I run into similar anomaly discs that discspeed did.

The two Opto Pains I got were precisely what I was looking for. Both fly almost identically, and are a bit more overstable than the Roc while stll very midrange like in flight. Wasn't windy enough today to test their wind performance, but they did allow me to play some nice 280' or so flexed drives around trees that weren't an option for me previously.

i would take up that guys offer for the usdgc roc, and throw it as much as you can. its an awesome disc, but if you lose it just replace it with a z wasp.

As I said, the Z Wasp isn't a suitable replacement for me, and the Pain turned out to be precisely what I was looking for.

I may grab the Roc just because, but it's unlikely to end up in my bag for anything more than just having some fun with it.

alright cool... its just that the wasp is a rancho roc in premium plastic, whats not suitable about it?

Hyzerline49 said:
alright cool... its just that the wasp is a rancho roc in premium plastic, whats not suitable about it?

the wasp is a dead, dumpy mid. please refrain from comparing it to the flattest, straightest and glidiest rocs out there.

helly said:
The latest run of them just isn't as stable as I was looking for. Feels great in the hand, but they don't fight the wind as well as I expected.
This. I have not seen a good run of Wasps in a while. :( It sucks because they could be really good.

NoLifeLeft said:
helly said:
The latest run of them just isn't as stable as I was looking for. Feels great in the hand, but they don't fight the wind as well as I expected.
This. I have not seen a good run of Wasps in a while. :( It sucks because they could be really good.

Should be really good* fixed that for ya.

Apothecary said:
Hyzerline49 said:

the wasp is a dead, dumpy mid. please refrain from comparing it to the flattest, straightest and glidiest rocs out there.
and you are a cold heartless individual, who has no beneficial input to any discussion

what am i? a clown? am i here for your amusement?!?

if i had any feelings, you would have seriously hurt them. seriously.

Apothecary said:
what am i? a clown? am i here for your amusement?!?

if i had any feelings, you would have seriously hurt them. seriously.

Look who is calling the kettle black. You are the one that has commanded all of DGR at least twice to be more funny. You'd be more convincing if you followed your own advice. As if you could apply any discipline to yourself :) I doubt that.