• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hornet vs. wasp vs. generic overstable mid

Hyzerline49 said:
i will be blatantly honest with you... you're a douche.

and youre not very creative. please take a class or something and learn how to troll properly.

Ever throw a Pain into a headwind and the shit falls out of its hyzer/sky way short?

Pissed so pulled the f'er and now baggin' a new roc... might try a wasp or screw it and work on my whippet. bitches

7ontheline said:
Ever throw a Pain into a headwind and the shit falls out of its hyzer/sky way short?

Pissed so pulled the f'er and now baggin' a new roc... might try a wasp or screw it and work on my whippet. bitches

VECTOR...Don't waste your time buying Wasps, chances are it will end up flying like your Pain in the wind.

discspeed said:
VECTOR...Don't waste your time buying Wasps, chances are it will end up flying like your Pain in the wind.

The Pain will track left but it doesn't glide as well as my X Buzzz does. Also Pain's grip feels a little bigger to me so I tried a Z Buzzz to add some stability but the Z is straight stable and 20' shorted than X.

Regarding the Vector, I've been digging my new run light Soft 167 ION for its glide over Med 175 textured ION. I usually throw all mid range discs around 175 but I pull out the 167 on almost all upshots to about 150'. Should I go with my normal mid game weight of 175 or will I get the added glide factor if I drop a Vector down to 167?

What I really want is thrown flat for 150' or so then fade out with lots of glide for a long left RHBH 250' to 300'.

7ontheline said:
discspeed said:

The Pain will track left but it doesn't glide as well as my X Buzzz does. Also Pain's grip feels a little bigger to me so I tried a Z Buzzz to add some stability but the Z is straight stable and 20' shorted than X.

Regarding the Vector, I've been digging my new run light Soft 167 ION for its glide over Med 175 textured ION. I usually throw all mid range discs around 175 but I pull out the 167 on almost all upshots to about 150'. Should I go with my normal mid game weight of 175 or will I get the added glide factor if I drop a Vector down to 167?

What I really want is thrown flat for 150' or so then fade out with lots of glide for a long left RHBH 250' to 300'.
Just so you know, every Vector has a core piece that weighs the same, the weight of the disc is adjusted by varying the weight of the overmold. If you go light you're going to be losing some of the gyroscopic properties of heavier Vectors.

jubuttib said:
7ontheline said:
discspeed said:

Just so you know, every Vector has a core piece that weighs the same, the weight of the disc is adjusted by varying the weight of the overmold. If you go light you're going to be losing some of the gyroscopic properties of heavier Vectors.

That's true of the FR Vectors, but they only ran those down to about 172-173. I'm sure if MVP has made lighter Vectors in subsequent runs they have run lighter cores to preserve the Gyro effect just like they do with Ions. About the question in bold...That's exactly what my new/slightly used Vectors do.

I need flat, low, and straight for the first half the flight and fade flatish at a near 45 degree for the remaining 125'-150'.

Does the light weight Vector have more glide than heavier Vector similar to glidey floaty light weight IONs vs. max weight IONs?

Maybe I should break out the old school Viper or throw my premium Jokeri really hard... they got some damn fade!

How's the Sentinel compare to the Vector? I need dependable fade and GLIDE.

I like the feel of the Buzzz in my hand. Are either of these close to the Buzzz feel? Thanks

7ontheline said:
How's the Sentinel compare to the Vector? I need dependable fade and GLIDE.

I like the feel of the Buzzz in my hand. Are either of these close to the Buzzz feel? Thanks

What ZJ really meants was "Sounds like AN OOP San Marino QSentinel".

The Sentinel is close to a Buzzz feel, only it's even larger diameter. The Vector has more glide, the Sanny Sent is faster. The Vector has a shallower feel than a Roc, but it's still got a huge bead.

7ontheline said:
If I'm going to learn a new disc my budget says make sure its in production.

Vector overstable mid. Heavy or light weight?

I'd go with whatever weight you normally throw your mids at. I've thrown multiple weights and the discs all flew fairly similar. The second runs are a little more uniform than the FRs which had domes that varied a bit.

I still think the current runs of the Sentinel can perform the exact same shots as the "sanny's". The only fall back to the sentinel is that it requires really good control of your "hit". If you need to baby a hyzer shot with poor form it will act really stable. If you can put a good smooth hit on it, with any degree of power, it will fly really freaking straight before fading almost like a longer rhyno.

but who knows...its only a Millennium guy arguing against an MVP guy...:D

zj1002 said:
I still think the current runs of the Sentinel can perform the exact same shots as the "sanny's". The only fall back to the sentinel is that it requires really good control of your "hit". If you need to baby a hyzer shot with poor form it will act really stable. If you can put a good smooth hit on it, with any degree of power, it will fly really freaking straight before fading almost like a longer rhyno.

I had a similar experience with the current run Sentinel. I was looking for a mid that stayed aloft and faded the entire time, a straight disc with solid fade wasn't what I needed. I've tried Hornets for this too, they are fairly straight but they really do have a fair bit of glide during the fade portion (if given height). I've got a few Vectors on the way, and I'm pretty stoked to try them out.

I belong to the "I like to throw my mids like drivers" crowd. Some people will say to power down on an overstable driver, but whenever I power down I seem to still get a really smooth hit and more distance than I want (this tactic is why I love my Comets). I'd just prefer to throw a more predictable, shorter disc which isn't really a bad thing to have.

Amateur said:
I belong to the "I like to throw my mids like drivers" crowd. Some people will say to power down on an overstable driver, but whenever I power down I seem to still get a really smooth hit and more distance than I want (this tactic is why I love my Comets). I'd just prefer to throw a more predictable, shorter disc which isn't really a bad thing to have.

I like throwing mids hard too, especially for shots that I want pushing straight and gliding the way a overstable fairway will never do. When I do power down on an overstable fairway, I'm usually doing a full throw from a standstill.

discspeed said:
Amateur said:

I like throwing mids hard too, especially for shots that I want pushing straight and gliding the way a overstable fairway will never do. When I do power down on an overstable fairway, I'm usually doing a full throw from a standstill.

Huck Mids here!

zj1002 said:

but who knows...its only a Millennium guy arguing against an MVP guy...:D

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not familar with the flight path of the rhyno. I've thrown a couple of Pigs and thats the cool hooking shot that I'm looking for without the crashing Pig fade with as much glide as possible and longer. My basic JOKERi would be perfect if it were a touch faster and had more glide. JOKERi gets most of the low tunnel shots up to 225' for me and I push that a little when I'm pissed. My ace race esp hornets went straight and faded out late. They'd go stable straight thrown hard FH into a moderate headwind and fade maybe 15' at the very end.

If the Rhyno's flight is similar to a Pig's flight start ot finish then the Sentinel as a longer Rhyno peaks my interest.

7ontheline said:
If the Rhyno's flight is similar to a Pig's flight start ot finish then the Sentinel as a longer Rhyno peaks my interest.
Piques. But anyway, from what I've seen the Pig has a much earlier and harsher fade than any Rhyno I've thrown. They usually fly straight for a fairly long while, and only at the very end when they run out of steam do they start fading.

Thrown to 250' Star opaque Rhynos on low lines don't fade. The ones from the previous two years don't anyway. Other plastics do on low lines. Pig fades way early and hard. Close to ESP Zone but not as extreme. Very different flight and the only way i got Pigs farther than Rhynos last year was an s-curve. Pig is faster but drops earlier and harder due to the massive early fade. This year i've gained a little power so maybe the situation has changed. Haven't thrown either this year. No need with my current setup. Both are great and recommendable discs. Even together. Pig sidearms much more securely than Rhyno.