• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people play disc golf in the snow?

I love playing in the snow. I've started playing in mid-September, and I've got the DG fever in a bad way, so there was no way I was going to wait all winter to play again. Played through 4-5 inches of lake-effect snow off of Lake Michigan on Saturday. It was really peaceful and beautiful. Got in 54 holes before it got dark.

I usually take my darker colored discs so that I can see them under a bit of snow. None lost yet

I have played in the snow many times and have only until recently that I lost a disc in it, a bright yellow Champ Viking. Got to buy some more of those suckers. Anyways, dress warm and enjoy having the courses to yourself.

I played 18 holes in huge wind gusts and 15 degree temps today, doritos should feature me in an extreem nacho cheese dorito ad where im discing in a blizzard.

Actually combining a couple current threads.

Just played 9 holes with the 2 discs I specified in this thread this afternoon... JLS and Star Aviar.

We still had about 6' of snow with 4" under a layer of ice and a fresh 2" from last night. So I got to use the "ribbon taped to my discs" technique. It worked pretty well but I think I'll definitely try yarn next time like someone recommended. I think that the yarn might stay on top of the snow a little better.

I actually had a pretty good round and played just +1 on my own Dixie Lee DGC. Plus I choked on a couple 20' putts from behind some bushes.

So... it was good playing in the snow and with just 2 discs.

Playing in the snow is my new favorite thing, it's awesome! It blows me away how few people are out there playing, most courses I've been playing I've had to break my own trail, granted they're relatively out of the way courses, but mostly in and around college towns, these college kids are getting lazier by the day, I know I've seen my brother and the kids that he hangs out with in college, they're all in playing video games, they wouldn't even think of going out and getting exercise. Whatever, I'll take all of the quiet natural beauty to myself, though I feel like I'm hogging it all. 40 holes of breaking trail, I'm going to be in shape by the time this winter is over, it's awesome. So far this year I've been out 13 days playing in the snow, often over 30 holes a day, can't complain a bit.

It has been great on my game, it's forcing me to do a number of things - Beginning with the lack of a runup, 10 inches of powdery snow on top of 6 of crunchy crusty snow makes for poor footing, and pretty much impossible to clear a path, so it's all from a standstill. As a result I can't get my higher speed drivers up to speed, so it has forced my hand in discing down, which is brilliant by the way. My accuracy has improved a ton, and my confidence in shaping lines is increasing. Now I'm looking forward to summer to see how much this will improve my game. For now, I'll just keep enjoying the snow rounds, Playing in an Ice Bowl tomorrow. Am looking forward to it.

Hole 7, Forest City, IA
IMG_5921.jpg

Hole 8, Forest City, IA
IMG_5923.jpg

Hole 21, Forest City, IA
IMG_5908.jpg

It doesn't snow much around here, but I've been out the couple of times it has snowed this year so far.

Yeah, dude, playing in the winter is awesome! Footwear is critical for sure. A stool is also a must but mostly just to keep your bag off the ground and dry. Leather gloves also double as a disk shammy.

It's also rad when it's cold enough (20-25) that the snow never gets too wet and the snow just falls off your discs.

Yeah, dude, playing in the winter is awesome! Footwear is critical for sure. A stool is also a must but mostly just to keep your bag off the ground and dry. Leather gloves also double as a disk shammy.

It's also rad when it's cold enough (20-25) that the snow never gets too wet and the snow just falls off your discs.

Yes, yes and yes - Mostly I've been playing 0-15 degrees F, Hiking boots and gaiters area a must.

Iv never played in snow before,tomorrow will be my first ice bowl at Long Trout. It snowed 4 inches the other day and has been noth'n but cold since. It should be in the low 20s in the AM, Packed 2 seperate bags of discs,one with my Lat64s if the snow isnt bad and the other with mostly Champ and Star molds, ones that wont be hard to walk from.
Went out to get some Body Armor ,picked up a base layer top and bottoms and a hoodie. They say this thin stuff will keep me warm, they look loke my wifes tights. Im still bring'n my old underoos and an extra fleesie top just in case. And the hand warmer my SS sent me. Ill bring an old cassett tape and clear duck tape, if needed.

I do. It's very refreshing. I'm playing in an Ice Bowl tomorrow where there is supposed to be 6" on the ground. Hopefully there will be three extra sets of eyes on each throw.

I do. It's very refreshing. I'm playing in an Ice Bowl tomorrow where there is supposed to be 6" on the ground. Hopefully there will be three extra sets of eyes on each throw.

Ill see ya there,hope fully there will a masters div. Those old guys move slow in the cold.
The wife asked if there was a FURREY tournie, I just looked her.

Im from Illinois and when it snows i usually just place the string underneath and let it rip =) if the discs ever landed into the water then the string would float too!

Latest posts