• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people play disc golf in the snow?

The first competition of our winter league was played in around 0F temp and 10" of snow, and we still had 37 people show up :)

The next game of the league is tomorrow, and it looks to be about 5F and 14", but this time with an added bonus of 20 mph winds.

Reason I don't is a few things, it's fricken cold out, and my winter coat doesn't allow for good movement for drives so I'd need to figure out how to layer things so I'm not frozen. Plus no one I know will :\ but we were going to try and pick a day to go out, me and all my friends, but jobs get in the way. It would have been great if it hadn't snowed recently since most of the snow was melted down leaving this snowy/icy layer less than an inch tall.

I wear a t-shirt, longsleeve omniwool shirt, a hoodie, and sometimes a light coat. I feel like its a decent amount of layers and it doesn't bother me with movement. I have been playing alot during this winter (at least 4 times a week) so maybe I'm used to it by now.

Hate that some of my favorite discs are white, and that I don't want to risk throwing them. This could be a blessing in disguise, because that forced me to pick up my Eagles again and I can rip the tits out of those now.

Winter play definitely is a learning experience, because its definitely changed how I have to approach some shots. I also like that I can blame the cold/weather/snow for my poor performance :)

I always wait two or three days after a fresh snowfall for the snow to harden up a little before I go play. Then unless my disc dives sideways it is always on top of the snow. Just the top quarter inch needs to crust up a little for prime conditions.

I always wait two or three days after a fresh snowfall for the snow to harden up a little before I go play. Then unless my disc dives sideways it is always on top of the snow. Just the top quarter inch needs to crust up a little for prime conditions.

IMO the hard snow sucks because of the major skips it causes. I like fresh snow because most shots plant instead of skipping. I am also in TN, where we get 4 inches and the world stops for a week.

In MO, the weather flip flops a lot in the winter. It'll be snowy and in the 20's one week and in the 50's the next. So, playing in the snow is easy. It never lasts too long.

i play in the snow its not that cold when you have 6 layers on :)

^^^ This.

I've been playing alot this winter. If I'm not working and the sun's out, I'm throwin'!

Tomorrow's gonna be a challenge. We've got about a foot and a half of fresh stuff. I'll be usin' streamers fo' shizzle.

I/we play in the snow here in Des Moines.

Last weekend it was 7 degrees and sunny, and we played 2 rounds.

Sahalie socks
Merrell Thermo 6 boots
Insulated (lined) Old Navy khakis with long underwear underneath
Wicking base layer top (long for good tuck in)
Long sleeve t shirt
Fleece (marmot $40 TJ Maxx)
Windproof jacket (new balance $25 TJ Maxx)
Scarf
Windproof/waterproof beanie (Bec Tech $6)
Burton snowboard mitts with hand warmers in each.

Don't be a pansie. Do whatchalike.

i only snow golf when the fresh powder is about 5 inches deep or less. here in wisconsin it will usually melt a bit and re-freeze within a week so your disc doesn't get buried. i've had too many ribbons fall off or get under the snow and become useless.

putting gets alot harder for me when its cold out

I swear. I think my putters fly like a brick in the cold. I have handwarmers, so numb hands aren't a factor, but it just seems like my putters don't fly in the cold.

I know it's gotta be in my head. While the air may be denser, etc.., we're talking about 10 foot putts just dropping. No lift.

Stupid winter...

I swear. I think my putters fly like a brick in the cold. I have handwarmers, so numb hands aren't a factor, but it just seems like my putters don't fly in the cold.

I know it's gotta be in my head. While the air may be denser, etc.., we're talking about 10 foot putts just dropping. No lift.

Stupid winter...

the easy putts arent that easy anymore

Just played two rounds in two ft snow at the Home course, then drove to cross lake with hedfan1 and Johnson. The snow was so pristine that we could just see where our discs entered. Great fun.

I have been playing 4 rounds or so a week, we have had snow on the ground for about a month now.

Played two rounds yesterday. I am still having troubles keeping the tips of my fingers from urging but the rest of me was fine. Had a great time at this league and shot fairly well. Finished four down which is close to my summer average. Missed four birdie and one par save putt so that could have been nine down. At any time we had four to seven pairs of eyes on discs and thankfully the course only claimed one disc in the group.

The thing about playing well is that I want to get back out and do it again. However, with the light snow still coming down, adding to the top layer of several inches of powdery snow, this really is not solo friendly. You really need another person to act like a hound dog and immediately pounce on a landed disc they were spotting and stick it up in the snow.

I may have to break down and buy those huge ice fisherman mittens. I use the handmuffs wide receivers use and stick my bare right hand in there until it is time to throw. I put a towel and one of those hand warmer sacks in there and that works really well keeping that hand dry and warm. It is my left hand and it's finger tips I need to figure out how to keep warm.

Latest posts