• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How Many Putters Do You Carry?

Zero Soft Pure (not always in the bag though)
Zero Medium Pure
Zero Hard Pure
Opto Pure
Neutron Envy
Champ Rhyno

Huge variety.

Beginners usually don't see a need for more than one in my experience. As golfers get better and start throwing putters more, it becomes necessary to expand your arsenal.

Ken Franks has a great article here: How to throw your putter.

I use my Aviar for anything less than 20 feet. Anything over 20 feet I putt GREAT with a well seasoned Champion Roc3! Just holds a great line.

Huge variety.

Beginners usually don't see a need for more than one in my experience. As golfers get better and start throwing putters more, it becomes necessary to expand your arsenal.

Ken Franks has a great article here: How to throw your putter.

It took me a while to figure out just how far a putter can go. My little group works hard to get new players out to the course. I am constantly asked, "That was a putter?" It just doesn't seem to come natural early on, especially when throwing your new Leopard or T-bird is so much fun.

I carry between 4 and 7 depending upon the type of course I'm playing. If I'm playing a wide open type of course, I will carry fewer. If it's a tight wooded course or a course where there's water, I will carry more.

It just doesn't seem to come natural early on, especially when throwing your new Leopard or T-bird is so much fun.

And part of the problem may be that putters generally have tall rims (the Colt being an exception), and thus may be a problem for a four-finger grip. I know I have trouble with almost every putter vis-a-vis a four-finger grip, again with the Colt being the exception. And since newbies can grip their Leopards better, they prefer to throw them. Can't blame them for that.

I typically bag three:
- Fossil Wizard: straight to fade drives. Workhorse "distance driving" putter
- Fossil Serpent: in the circle putts, anny drives, dead straight shots, right drifting lines
- Fossil Scale: overstable shots, forehands, headwind shots, hyzer drives. Takes over workhorse duties in windy rounds.

I love the rigidity of Fossil and that is seasons in slowly and predictably. I like my Serpent to be well seasoned so it will pick up a tick a glide. I like a nice OS Wizard and then an even more OS Scale.

Total of 5 usually; sometimes 6.

2 for actual putting [PA4]
1 OS drive/upshot [Zone]
1 straight drive/upshot [Classic Roc]
1 understable drive/upshot [PA4]

I recently added a new ti zone and a second semi broken in z zone to my bag, bringing my putter total to 6 in my bag, and I am considering another between my stable M wizard (old school circle tooling) and my semi-beat z zone. This got me to thinking how many putters people carry in their bag? I know many top pros who carry 5 plus - putting and upshot/drive under to overstable.

How many do you carry and why?

Jordan

5-6 for me

2 Wizards for putting only
1 ZH Pure that is fairly beat
1 opto Pure
1 ZH Sinus (Beat to Straight) only occasionally in the bag
1 ZS Sinus - more overstable

Im now at 3 putters. Until I get my McPros from the mail when I get home.

- firm atom for long putts and spin putts
-KC Aviar for push putts in the circle and just beyond
- BT Hard Shield for throwing

I did better putting last night with the shield than I did with the KC, so now Im entertaining that as a putter and moving the KC to a throwing spot.

I need to add another zone in the bag too

Factory pro rhyno for putts.
Beat DX rhyno for short approaches
Flat pfn champ rhyno for slightly more stable shots, utility approaches ( trees), and stable upshots

I'm carrying five. The only reason is bc the new Grip AX15 quiver pocket can fit 5 and still close, and also I love throwing putters.

2 X-Line P1x's for putting duties
1 D-Line P1x for straight or turnover drives/approaches
1 Champ Rhyno for straight to stable drives/approaches
1 400s PA1 for overstable

Probably too many, but I am trying to thin down again. I have found that I am much better at throwing a putter than a mid for anything where I can't put almost full power on the mid.

-McPro Aviars (2)- one beat for anhyzer putts and finesse approaches, one newer one for putting.
-R Pro Aviar/P-P1 (1)- goes in and out. I use it when I am nervous about overthrowing a mcpro due to skips or rolls. Not as useful as it once was.
-Champion XG Rhyno (1)- windy putts, various utility shots. A staple in my bag for getting out of trouble. Its sticks like glue where ever it lands too.
-S-P2 (1-2)- most approaches, putter drives, FH flicks when I want it to flip up (otherwise throw the rhyno), occasional putting. I basically replaced my mids and the rpro aviar with this. I could probably even drop the mcpros once I get one of these worn in.

I bag 4, sometimes 5.
-1 new 175 DX Aviar - Stable putter
-1 older 169 DX Aviar - Less stable putter, upshots and anhyzers
-1 newish 175 gummy Champion Aviar - Driving putter, holds up in wind and even flexes out of slight anhyzer
-1 175 gummy Champion Rhyno - Flicks, upshots and overstable driving putter

Optional:
-1 175 Champion XD - accuracy shots b/c super straight, holds up to wind.

2 Pa3's for putting
+
2 Pa4's or 1 Pa4 and 1 Pa1