• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much wind is too much

How much wind is too much?

• Greater than 10 mph

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Greater than 20 mph

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Greater than 30 mph

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Greater than 40 mph

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • I'm from Kansas and play until I see Dorothy's house fly by

Votes: 37 15.9%

• Total voters

PBokor

Eagle Member
With the recent discussion regarding ending the USDGC early due to weather, I am curious what YOUR personal limit is for windy play. We're expecting steady winds of 30 mph today with gusts to 45 mph and I am looking forward to seeing how my plastic works in near gale force conditions. When does it become more trouble than it is worth to play a casual round (not a tournament)?

Last edited:
By myself ~20

With a group, Kansas ain't got nothing on Oklahoma. I'm there til everyone goes home.

Well my buddy 46YearOldSlinger thinks he can break the distance record if only he could hyzer flip his disc into a tornado. Being that I would love to see that I'm going with 5. I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

22 is a pretty calm day, here. Except those 2 weeks in the dead of summer that you're praying for any slight breeze to evaporate your Swamp-sweat.

Too much wind?

Haven't played over 40 mph, but I'd love to try!

Ive played several tourneys in the 25-35 range, wasn't much fun. Now playing casual with my weekend group... it can get quite amusing.

Probably 40 with higher gusts. Played a couple of days when it was avg 30 with gusts up to 45 and while it wasn't terrible it did make the round quite interesting

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

I love heavy winds, but I don't expect to put up the same scores as calm/mild wind rounds. I turn my putter upside down when putting and usually disc up.

With the recent discussion regarding ending the USDGC early due to weather, I am curious what YOUR personal limit is for windy play. We're expecting steady winds of 30 mph today with gusts to 45 mph and I am looking forward to seeing how my plastic works in near gale force conditions. When does it become more trouble than it is worth to play a casual round (not a tournament)?

TYPHOOOOOOOOOON SONGDA.
I'll be out this weekend for sure. It's fun throwing Firebirds and watching them airbounce. And watching those big Doug Firs twisting and creaking.
I don't plan to score well. And I wouldn't want to do it every weekend. But I try to play in a couple big storms each fall/winter.

Over 30mph kinda sucks however, similar to other crappy weather, if I've committed to play a round, I'm still game. I actually feel like I have a pretty good advantage over most players in those types of conditions. MT can be very windy and my home course plays on top of 60-100 foot tall bluffs where the wind swirls and is exacerbated by pushing up to the top. Last time I played in that kinda wind, everyone but me wanted to quit after hole 12.

I can see why it isn't fun if you don't understand how to control your shots when it's that windy but it should just be motivation to figure it out. A common misconception is not to use any understable discs in the wind. You need to understand how different wind directions can be fought/used/mitigated with US, Straight Stable, and OS discs as well as nose angle. Though at some point when you're just throwing grenades(scubbys), thumbers, and up-side-down putts, it may just be time to go to the bar for another kind of round.

^^that's for sure. Anybody who has been to BG AMs and played Ephram White on a windy day, would agree too...

...It makes everyone play like ****.

The big down side to wind > 20+ at my local course is more time spent looking for discs than playing.

I'd rather play in 30+mph steady wind, than in 10mph gusting, variable direction wind.

In general... 20mph and over starts to damage my already-questionable sanity.

TYPHOOOOOOOOOON SONGDA.

You folks will get this one first. Gonna hit us from the south.

And watching those big Doug Firs twisting and creaking.

Last time the south winds blew this hard, the neighbor's 100' doug landed in my yard. Might open up a new line in the backyard.

Attachments

• Tree1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 71
I can see why it isn't fun if you don't understand how to control your shots when it's that windy but it should just be motivation to figure it out. A common misconception is not to use any understable discs in the wind. You need to understand how different wind directions can be fought/used/mitigated with US, Straight Stable, and OS discs as well as nose angle. Though at some point when you're just throwing grenades(scubbys), thumbers, and up-side-down putts, it may just be time to go to the bar for another kind of round.

Mostly, this. I think it's fun, and sometimes funny, to play in high winds, and try to figure out the best way to deal with them. A new challenge. And everyone's playing in the same conditions.

Though there are a few holes that aren't so much fun----big water holes and top of the world holes (depending on the wind direction).

If I can't throw my Zephyr the game is ruined.

Latest posts