• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much wind is too much

How much wind is too much?

• Greater than 10 mph

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Greater than 20 mph

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Greater than 30 mph

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Greater than 40 mph

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • I'm from Kansas and play until I see Dorothy's house fly by

Votes: 37 15.9%

• Total voters
When the wind can pick the disc up out of the basket or off the ground after it has settled and subsequently blow it hundreds of feet away it is too windy for me. I don't know what speed that is but it blows.

Richlands Steed park, 2004 I think. Dunno what tournament. It was WINDY!

When a 5 footer hits middle of the chains and the wind blows it out before it can fall into the basket.

When a 5 footer hits middle of the chains and the wind blows it out before it can fall into the basket.

It's a common occurrence in central ok to see people putting with an upside down firebird on super windy days.

I didn't even know that disc existed. I am still naive enough to still believe in the gimmicks and have both a Birdie and Wolf in my practice bag only because of the thumbtrac mold. :eek:

My good friend swears by champion birdies, and he's much better than I. He's won a few MPO's with that thing as his main putter. He also uses it alot for flick rollers.

I may be about to find out. Our annual Fall Fling tourney is this Saturday at NAD Park, and they're calling for 50 mph winds, with possible gusts up to 70. This is one course you don't want to be on in winds like that. The TD has put the word out that it will be a wait and see situation, and if deemed unsafe, we'll hold the raffle and get out. I'm not even sure the raffle will be safe, lol. My well-being is worth more than the $30 entry.

I may be about to find out. Our annual Fall Fling tourney is this Saturday at NAD Park, and they're calling for 50 mph winds, with possible gusts up to 70. This is one course you don't want to be on in winds like that. The TD has put the word out that it will be a wait and see situation, and if deemed unsafe, we'll hold the raffle and get out. I'm not even sure the raffle will be safe, lol. My well-being is worth more than the $30 entry.

Amen brother. You are supposed to get hit especially hard. Almost worth the short drive to observe and learn, but I won't. ;)

Be safe.

I'll play (and have) at >40mph for practice rounds just to re-wire shots and approaches in case I see those conditions in competitive rounds. It's not a "fun" round but instead a "how to survive" round.

When the wind can pick the disc up out of the basket or off the ground after it has settled and subsequently blow it hundreds of feet away it is too windy for me. I don't know what speed that is but it blows.

Richlands Steed park, 2004 I think. Dunno what tournament. It was WINDY!

Good to know and educate cardmates, if necessary on "disc at rest" rules. I've seen discs blown out of the basket. Richlands Steeds? Been there, done that!

15 - 20 mph is where my enjoyment level starts taking a nose dive, especially with 150 Open Class discs.

Too much for what? I think my relationship with wind is something like this:

(how much I hate the wind) = (how much it messes with my game) = (some constant) x (wind velocity)^2

So, somewhere around 5-10mph ain't no problem. But 20 versus 10 is probably 4 times as detrimental to my game, and 40mph more like 16 times worse. The biggest problem for me is in the putt & approach game. Even in the 20mph range, I tend to have lots of 3-putts. Gusts, of course, are worse than steady wind.

Any steady winds above 20 mph makes disc golf more a comedy than a sport. Discs start blowing back into your face, then rolling miles away.
It's a blast to watch, like goofy golf, but its no fun to play.
Discs are meant to fly, its hard to prevent that. I do like the upside down putt and approach method and do use it when necessary.

I like to overpower the disc into the ground by the basket when approaching, instead of tossing upwards, on windy days.

Nothing like a good breeze to moderate temps and keep you on your toes. Knowing what your disc will do exactly in wind play is like becoming a god of golf.

However, if you look up some weather specific terms certain levels of wind are just dangerous to play in. I understand if your on some dust bowl course with little to no trees than your risk goes down considerable.

If your in the midwest/east with all the dying ash trees you are fool to play in winds over 20 if the course is woodsy.

Personally, I go out in a field on gusty days (certainly nothing more than 30 mph) and work on distance and into the wind drives. Eliminating error in your form specifically your release will give you more distance and control on those blue bird days when it is calm as well.

Last edited:
I enjoy playing in the big wind! Drives being blown hundreds of feet off course, ridiculous unintended rollers, putters flying out of chains and/or basket, throwing discs upside down - it's all good...

I don't mind strong wind. First starting out I wouldn't even think of going golfing. Now its just something to add a fun twist.

I've played quite a few times in up to 30mph winds, it was dang frustrating the first few times, but it's pretty fun now. Above that, it's pretty hopeless

I never have any idea what the actual speed of the wind is, so I don't know what my limit is.

We played a spring event one year in wind that was making the rain look horizontal. It was only around 40 degrees. That was miserable. Couldn't keep anything dry, couldn't grip anything, couldn't feel my fingers, couldn't get a disc to fly anywhere close to where I was aiming. I remember it, though. It was at least 15 years ago. I have a lot of rounds from the last 15 years I have no recollection of, but I sure remember that one.

I played a round with gusts of 55 mph+ one time. That was a really interesting experience. I can't say that I recommend it.

That said, playing with gusts to 40 mph, while not common, isn't something that keeps me away from a course. I just figure the wind's going to make the discs dance in odd ways and my scores from hole to hole can vary widely. So I don't worry about scoring and see what new things the wind might have in store.

Wind sucks the fun out of playing pretty quickly for me. If it's any windy at all my putting goes quickly into the toilet (not fun) and I'll spend more time looking for discs than playing (really not fun). Plus I'm allergic to everything so I'll feel like death the next day from sucking in allergens.

Wind sucks the fun out of playing pretty quickly for me. If it's any windy at all my putting goes quickly into the toilet (not fun) and I'll spend more time looking for discs than playing (really not fun). Plus I'm allergic to everything so I'll feel like death the next day from sucking in allergens.

Except for the allergy condition, I would completely agree with BrotherDave here, I don't enjoy playing in the wind at all. As I drove across Kansas last fall, I kept wishing the wind would die down and let me enjoy the courses, And it never did! And of course, I throw 150 g discs.