• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much wind is too much

How much wind is too much?

• Greater than 10 mph

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Greater than 20 mph

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Greater than 30 mph

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Greater than 40 mph

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • I'm from Kansas and play until I see Dorothy's house fly by

Votes: 37 15.9%

• Total voters
Played in my league finals this weekend. 40+ mph winds. Watched a Stiletto turn into a roller. It may have been beat a little bit, but it was still a Stiletto. Was some of the most challenging conditions I've played in. Had an absolute blast though.

Reminds me of a putt a few years ago - putting with my Firebird, the wind picks it up before getting to the basket and throws it back over my head 60' and over the prison fence. :(

Hole # 2 at Giles?

I had a 5 footer in May out at Shernado hit center chains flip-up and land on top the the basket. :wall:

With a group of friends, wind can be fun and levels the playing field. But just by myself or me and my wife I'd rather not fight the wind too much. I think I'd rather play in the rain in the summer than wind in the fall.

22's fair, strong enough that you don't want to be on the wrong side of it.

I think 15 is the strongest I've yet to play through but a lot of what I was throwing could at least handle into scrambling range. Lay up everything.

in nebraska, if we bailed out everytime wind was in the 20's we'd miss a lot of DG. I don't like it, but anything under 15mph is considered "calm" IMHO.

Hahaaaa! Thats great! That looks like me when im alone and make ridiculous putts no one is there to see. Run around the basket a couple times with my hands in the air... nice. Looks like hes got a great deal of spin on that putter doesnt it? Isnt Feldberg a push putter?

really 20-25 is do-able, but it sucks. But anything over 25, especially gusts of 30+ is kinda insane. I've still done it and will do it again, but....its crazy, Especially putting!

Hahaaaa! Thats great! That looks like me when im alone and make ridiculous putts no one is there to see. Run around the basket a couple times with my hands in the air... nice. Looks like hes got a great deal of spin on that putter doesnt it? Isnt Feldberg a push putter?

Spin putter outside the circle.

in nebraska, if we bailed out everytime wind was in the 20's we'd miss a lot of DG. I don't like it, but anything under 15mph is considered "calm" IMHO.

This is very much the case in Montana. Some of the responses in this thread kind of make me scratch my head.

Worst I ever had, that forced me to quite, was playing a casual round, in fort Morgan, Colorado.

First hole is 450+. The interstate runs along the right hand side causing wind, plus it was spring. Wind was consistently 45+mph. With gusts above 65+(weather tracked it bc I wanted it noted)

Threw first drive past the hole by 30'. Took an 8 on the hole. It was at that point we said **** it.

So the First PDGA event is schedule tomorrow and they have been calling for thunder storms all week for tomorrow.

I decided to check out the weather forecast and some time between 2 and 4 pm tomorrow I "might" be dealing with this.

This squall line could generate a sudden blast of strong wind (40 to 50 mph), somewhat like what we experienced earlier this month. There may also be pockets of severe wind with gusts to 60 or 70 mph.

:hfive:

^This. I have been dreading our local event this week because of 20-30 wind, on a course that has recently had a lot of trees cut down due to ash borers. probably wouldn't go at all if the winds were gonna be as bad as yours.

I'll play a round in 20mph, because the course is wooded and shields play from the wind.

If I'm doing fieldwork, anything over 10mph affects the flight of the disc so much that it makes it hard to gauge the quality of the throw.