• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much wind is too much

How much wind is too much?

• Greater than 10 mph

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Greater than 20 mph

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Greater than 30 mph

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Greater than 40 mph

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • I'm from Kansas and play until I see Dorothy's house fly by

Votes: 37 15.9%

• Total voters
Other than the threat of falling trees, I love playing in the wind.
More fun than your avg round of golf.

I dont mind playing on windy/blustery days... part of the game. Learn to compensate; adjust disc choice and weight accordingly, even shot selection. If it's windy, I'll try to avoid flippy bh turnover shots (which can be kinda squirrely) in favor of fh shots with more os molds. Avoid risky routes, keep trajectories low, and lay up when appropriate.

That said anything above 30 mph can really make things tough. Might have more fun flying a kite when it gets really windy.

We play no matter how much wind. Fortunately, I don't think we've ever had more than 20 mph (gusts, steady more like 10 mph) any time we've played. Usually, if we have strong winds we also have rain; something I don't like to play in. A little is okay but more than a drizzle and I stay home.

I dont mind playing on windy/blustery days... part of the game. Learn to compensate; adjust disc choice and weight accordingly, even shot selection. If it's windy, I'll try to avoid flippy bh turnover shots (which can be kinda squirrely) in favor of fh shots with more os molds. Avoid risky routes, keep trajectories low, and lay up when appropriate.

That said anything above 30 mph can really make things tough. Might have more fun flying a kite when it gets really windy.

I know a guy that throws a Kite no matter the wind ;)

Played a tournament Saturday with 15 MPH sustained and frequent gusts getting into the 30s. It was pretty rough, but it was a lot of fun. Also granted me some of my longest throws ever! However, I laid up a LOOOOOOT of putts. :D

If it's windy enough to cause 11 large oak trees to fall on the course I'm staying away. This happened earlier this year at a local course at night -- could have been disastrous if it had happened during the day with players on the course. I'm not sure what the wind speed was but as I recall there were 70+mph gusts at times.

A few other times playing in very windy conditions I've seen or heard large limbs crash to the ground, a couple times too close for comfort.

Has a disc golfer ever been killed or seriously injured from a falling tree or limb?

The nice thing about wind is that it affects everyone. I feel like my ability to handle wind off the tee is above average, so that works okay. Near the basket, that's another story. I tend to get stuck in the no-man's land where I'm not putting confidently/hard enough to make windy putts, but also not cautious enough to just layup. I've had some 20' putts turn into 40' comebacks recently. No fun.

Has a disc golfer ever been killed or seriously injured from a falling tree or limb?

That would be me. :doh:

Woodstock Rocks course, Hole 4........ watching another golfer putt out and the course designer leaned on a waterlogged tree trunk that was still standing. It fell silently and before he could say anything it pounded me into the ground like a tent spike.

That would be me. :doh:

Woodstock Rocks course, Hole 4........ watching another golfer putt out and the course designer leaned on a waterlogged tree trunk that was still standing. It fell silently and before he could say anything it pounded me into the ground like a tent spike.

Ouch, how bad were you hurt?

Last year, Kitsap Fairgrounds hole 10. The wind was blowing probably around 20. My dubs partner had just thrown his drive and put his bag on, and we hear a loud crack right over our heads. He had no time to get out of the way, tried to cover up, and it came down across his back. I don't know if it helped or not that his bag was on, but he still broke 2 ribs. Not completely uncommon to have 100' tall trees come down on windy days when we're out there. Then it's time to leave, past time, actually.

Big storm from some pacific typhoon is hitting us tomorrow, biggest storm in Seattle for some 50 years. I'm too scared to go throw but they're talking 70+ mph wind haha could be fun if it weren't dangerous.

We played a tournament two Novembers ago and the wind got up to gusts of 40. Constantly above 25. Of it had just been gustea at 25 I'd have been fine. My bag is plenty OS, but when you see a stiletto hyzerflip and fly straight, it's too much.

If you can't handle a little (or sometimes a lot) of wind on the courses, Florida might not be the place for you!

I wanted to insert a Looney Tunes clip here, but couldn't find one with a pole pounding a guy into the ground :(

Movie? On a pole? Guy pounding it into the ground?

Ask Stardoggy. He's got one. Starring your mom.