• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much wind is too much

How much wind is too much?

• Greater than 10 mph

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Greater than 20 mph

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Greater than 30 mph

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Greater than 40 mph

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • I'm from Kansas and play until I see Dorothy's house fly by

Votes: 37 15.9%

• Total voters
I'm with y'all. My home course gets down right scary when the winds get up. Tons of dead wood in the tops of trees.

Not sure if it is regional or not, but we call those dead and waiting to fall trees/branches widow-makers. Just takes a gust or two to wreak havoc on those unfortunates below.

Not sure if it is regional or not, but we call those dead and waiting to fall trees/branches widow-makers. Just takes a gust or two to wreak havoc on those unfortunates below.

Stop it. I am going out there in 1 hour.

Living in Texas, I've frequently played in high winds. I play when I have the opportunity. If it happens to be really windy, I adjust.

Once it gets above 15mph I can tell that my enjoyment factor goes WAY down. But in ND... sometimes you just gotta play through it.

I voted Greater than 30 mph, but I need to qualify that. It depends on dust and how my eyes are doing. I have one good eye, and can't run high risk of getting anything in it.

In central Oklahoma you either learn to play in any wind or you're staying home wishing you were playing. Also you can't control the weather on tournament days so you need to know how to play in all conditions.

In central Oklahoma you either learn to play in any wind or you're staying home wishing you were playing. Also you can't control the weather on tournament days so you need to know how to play in all conditions.

Yeah, I went out today in Norman. From listening to the OU game on the radio, it sounds like it was "20 to 25 mph gusts." Doesn't sound like much, but definitely messed with my game. I've played in much worse, but 25mph already does really weird things to flying discs. (e.g. elevator action, getting under the flight plate and taking discs for a ride, also makes overhands way less useful than normal)

It reinforced what I already said, though; it affects my short game and putting game much worse than my game from the tee (at least in that 20-25 range). It's actually kind of fun from the tee because you have to try to work with the wind and make some less typical shots.

This is me every time it's windy.

*feels strong headwind*

Okay, I'll stable up.

*throws Giant, wind dies and Giant fades out too soon* :mad:

*head wind, then no wind*

Aight, I'm going out with my beat Trespass and getting D this time.

*head wind comes back, turns Trespass into hot garbage* :doh:

*huge tailwind*

Error404: BrotherDave never gets to throw in a tailwind, only HW and swirling BS

I don't play to often in bad wind. The two courses I play most are wooded so it only gets bad one 3 or 4 holes on either. But today I played a different course in near constant 15mph with some wicked gust above that. My upshot game was pretty bad.

I played in the windiest conditions of my short career about a month ago. As I was driving to the course the wind was so bad that it was moving my car to the sides a little bit and the guys on the radio were saying there were reports of 40-50 mph winds in the area.

Finally got to the course and met a buddy. We kind of laughed at the situation but decided to give it our best shot. It's a wide-open field course with no trees in site so we weren't really concerned although maybe it still wasn't the brightest idea.

Obviously we played terribly, not that he and I are very good to begin with, but we played even worse than normal. The 3rd hole has a huge 10-15 foot high dirt mound pretty close to the tee that you are forced to throw over and the wind was coming straight at us. Obviously having to throw up into that kind of wind is not a good combo. Both of our drives actually landed behind us :p

At first it was kind of funny/fun and we just had a good time with it and experimented with how the wind affected our shots. There was another group of 2 on the course and they seemed to be having as much fun with it as well. After we finished the front 9, the novelty had kind of worn off and the wind was still gusting so we called it a day. It was kind of fun to do once but next time it's that bad I'll probably just stay home, it got a little frustrating near the end

CabMakio - My soft top/soft doors Wrangler wouldn't even make it to the course under those winds. A 30 mph crosswind blows me sideways half a lane at 60 mph. Must be nice to have that round in your experience 'bag'. :thmbup:

We had 10-20 mph variable surface winds blowing this afternoon and I have been playing with different putters and learning a bunch.

Both of our drives actually landed behind us :p
Reminds me of a putt a few years ago - putting with my Firebird, the wind picks it up before getting to the basket and throws it back over my head 60' and over the prison fence. :(

Reminds me of a putt a few years ago - putting with my Firebird, the wind picks it up before getting to the basket and throws it back over my head 60' and over the prison fence. :(

Had the same thing happen to a drive of mine on the old layout of Estero DGC in Fla. It didn't actually land behind me but it was close. Same day, my son who was 12 at the time made a great 10' putt, center chains, only to have it blown back out by the wind.

Played in very windy conditions at Edmunds Park in South Boston, VA this past Saturday. Steady 20 mph with gusts around 35. I threw several drives low to keep them out of the wind only to have the wind bounce them 20-20 feet up in the air. I was just delighted to watch all the crazy action the wind caused. Fortunately, once we got into the woods, the wind was mostly blocked.

Latest posts