• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hybrid 18 better than a 9?

I think one key aspect to the success of a hybrid 18 is education of the players that use the course. Who gets to throw when and other stuff. Otherwise you risk throwing really close to other players and throwing ahead of them when it is not their turn. Done correctly though, I would favor a hybrid 18 over a 9 holer.

I am going to have to disagree with the majority on this one, I would definatly prefer a 9 holer with am/pro tees that could be expanded later into an 18. I think you would be doubling you work to start off with making 2 fairways for each hole and 2 tees for each hole when eventually half of that work is going to be wasted. I would suggest putting that extra work into planning the full 18 ahead of time even though only 9 will be put in to start with. That way your course will a more continuous flow and there will be less work/confussion in the long run while also making your course better overall.

Not only that, but I think having 2 tees throwing at the same pin would slow down the course to the point that it would not get the play that it would if it a true 9 hole course. It would turn groups of 4 into groups of 8 when throwing at holes when the course was full.

IMHO, a hybrid 18 is not worth it and would only cause more greif in the long term.

I am going to have to disagree with the majority on this one, I would definatly prefer a 9 holer with am/pro tees that could be expanded later into an 18. I think you would be doubling you work to start off with making 2 fairways for each hole and 2 tees for each hole when eventually half of that work is going to be wasted. I would suggest putting that extra work into planning the full 18 ahead of time even though only 9 will be put in to start with. That way your course will a more continuous flow and there will be less work/confussion in the long run while also making your course better overall.

Not only that, but I think having 2 tees throwing at the same pin would slow down the course to the point that it would not get the play that it would if it a true 9 hole course. It would turn groups of 4 into groups of 8 when throwing at holes when the course was full.

IMHO, a hybrid 18 is not worth it and would only cause more greif in the long term.
i agree , and i would design the main tees for players who throw in the 330-425 range and then add some shorter alts for kids or noobs.

personally i would rather only play 9 good challenging tees twice ,than play 9 good challenging tees and then play some shorter easier tees after that just to make 18 . Nine hole courses have their charms too and most big cities have enough 18holes and 9holes that if you wanna play 18 you can just go to an 18 , so i dont understand this need some people have to try to make 9holes more like 18 holes. its a 9 hole deal with it if you dont like it go play 18 somewhere else, enjoy it for what it is ,not what its not.

Having a 9 hole pretending it's 18 would feel gimicky to me. I agree with Omega that a quality 9 hole would be better, and probably more popular, than a 2 tee hyrid 9/18. Like you said in your original post, if you have the room I would advise to be patient and the 18 will come with time. Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2016/2009romap.gif

Here's a red level 9-hole course that was turned into 18 tees playing to 9 baskets. The popularity is now thru the roof (1100/wk actual counts). The key is to number the tees from 1 thru 18 and mark the baskets accordingly such as 1/10, 2/11, etc. There's no more space to expand to 18 holes. The old layout had 9 longer Blue level tees and 9 shorter Red level tees. The Park Dept would not mow it properly so few would play it since you were looking for discs more than playing. Revamping the design so that all 18 tees were appropriate for Red level, including several legit par 4 holes for that level, has made a huge difference. The Park Dept is committed to mowing the smaller footprint fairway pattern.

A few other Minnesota designers are implementing the same technique on some other low traffic 9-hole courses, or new ones, with similar results. Players feel like it's an 18-hole course if it's set up that way and not just a short and long tee on each hole where you sometimes decide to play it as 18.

The location is fictional...I am one of those wierd people who just likes making maps and stuff.

I also like saving satellite shots and making courses from them...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. My Google Maps 'My Maps' section is filled with course designs.

Fritz Park in Irving, Tx is set up as a 9 hole yet they have 27 different pads(only 9 concrete) and it seems to work out fine...but then again this course is never all that busy, although it is the best 9 holer in the metroplex and i believe one of the oldest, if not the oldest remaining.

Most 9-hole courses get 'unofficial' alts added to them by locals wanting to play a few more holes. At Miramar Park, near my house, we now have 9 official alt tees (blessed by the city parks people) and 4 'local alts' that most everyone who plays the course knows. Depending on who you play a round with you could be in for 9 or 22 holes.

It's all a matter of opinion which is a better way to make a course.

Not an opinion but a reasoned decision based on weighing and balancing the various elements in play at the site.

Sometimes 9 baskets with 9 tees is the best choice such as short courses on school grounds.

Most 9-hole courses get 'unofficial' alts added to them by locals wanting to play a few more holes. At Miramar Park, near my house, we now have 9 official alt tees (blessed by the city parks people) and 4 'local alts' that most everyone who plays the course knows. Depending on who you play a round with you could be in for 9 or 22 holes.

It's all a matter of opinion which is a better way to make a course.
the short tee to #9 and the top of the hill to #6 are the orginal designed course alts . and the other three local alts are cool but are best used when the course is slow as they lead to people throwing in on you while your playing the real tees or getting in the way of people on the real hole, which isnt cool.

There's a course in Phoenix where they play the 9-hole layout in a reverse order to get 18 where you really have to be careful when others are on the course playing it normally.

Conocido PRak

There's a course in Phoenix where they play the 9-hole layout in a reverse order to get 18 where you really have to be careful when others are on the course playing it normally.

That is called Conocido Park in Pheonix area. It is strange the first time you are on that course and foucsing on your approach shot and another group comes in from the other side and are throwing at the same basket. Who has the right away? Some confused looks at times as to who throws next. Not sure who was on that hole first.

the short tee to #9 and the top of the hill to #6 are the orginal designed course alts . and the other three local alts are cool but are best used when the course is slow as they lead to people throwing in on you while your playing the real tees or getting in the way of people on the real hole, which isnt cool.

Yeah - we're generally pretty considerate and careful. We're playing a night game tomorrow at 8:30pm at Miramar, you should come down.

There's one in Tucson that's the same way. 9 baskets, with two sets of tees going in each direction, so there's 18 unique holes with short and long pads. Fun way to use a tiny space, but only because I played at 6 in the morning on new year's eve and had it to myself.

I play a course called Red Oak that has 9 baskets and 18 tees (marked 1-18) and it really works well.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=552

I never played it before they made the change, but it does feel a lot like an 18 holer. Granted, some of the holes feel exactly like a shorter/longer version of the alternate, but there are some that are completely different. I think it's 7/16 where 7 is a big dogleg right and 16 is a straight shot. And 8/17 are night and day (at least from the tee).

If you can't get 18 into the space it's a great alternative if it's done right. The only issue I've run into is not realizing others are teeing off on the alternate tees, but once you get used to the layout you should be able to see anyone who is playing the hole you're on.

Last edited:
Yeah - we're generally pretty considerate and careful. We're playing a night game tomorrow at 8:30pm at Miramar, you should come down.
Gotta watch the kiddos , thanks for the invite though . I always park facing the b-ball courts that way if i cop rolls by they wont think anyones on the course.

the course closest to my house is like this (there is a 3rd nine that is established, but it plays to diff holes) for the most part with the layout of the park its the only way to have more than 9 due to space restrictions. If you are in a situation where you only have room for 9 its better than having just 9 :), But i would personally rather play 18 or 27 diff holes.