• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

I can relate. Whatever volunteers I can wrangle and I take care of Bighorn Ridge in Big Sky, MT almost exclusively with weed whackers due to the steep and rugged terrain. Community Org can mow some lower fields with their gator and pull behind but that's not particularly nimble and can't take much of a hill. Haven't posted much for pics this summer, just been crazy busy with travel, running leagues and tourneys, and work. Here's a few pics of THEY out crushing it...THEY have really turned this course around in the last 2 years.

THEY have done a really nice job out there. Super fun course.

Town maintenance staff are THEY in Malta NY........... I had them dig the holes and set the sleeves last Monday/Tuesday for the first 9 and practice pin. I was gonna build and install the baskets this week.

I got an email on Wednesday saying that the rain kept the workers at the main garage(where the baskets were delivered) and they got bored and built the baskets. And that they were gonna lock them in place Thursday morning.

picture.php

Just got back from throwing Gold and Woodlands H O L Y C O W is that place in gorgeous shape it continues to astound me. All yall up there are killing it.

Mountain Man continues to inspire us with his work ethic and 15 hour days, mowing EVERYTHING with a walk behind mower. Brandon is doing his magic using the trimmer like an artist uses a paint brush, his work on BH #2 and Gold #18 alone will take your breath away. Tick does more with one arm and a machete than most people do with a shed full of tools, he has Gold looking fantastic! Slic is investing his time, labor and financial resources to provide quality lodging for our guests. We also can't forget the ton of work Ryan Gillis did this spring with MM and Scotty Upshot for his continuing efforts to make HH and especially Granite Ridge shine like a diamond. Team Highbridge Hills is the best! We are they.

Quick question about "they".

What if "they" are holding "us" back? What I mean is, we have a few board members & course volunteers that cannot be persuaded to evolve with the rest of us/the sport/community. I'm talking about prioritizing phone #s over email addresses, Rolodex over database, MS Word flyers instead of Adobe, Club Web instead of social media, on-site cash registration vs pre-reg with digital payment.

It is true that it only takes a couple to spoil the bunch, so I am wondering how some of you, that have been "they" for a long time have "fired" volunteers that continue to "help" the Club instead of stepping aside for someone younger & hungrier?

Or, in other words, they refuse to evolve, which creates dissension in our ranks, distracts us from important work, and keeps the Club from realizing our true potential.

Mr. Yellowfin,
A tough question for sure.
But perhaps:
1. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
2. It might be better to have a long-serving (proven by their track record) dinosaur than a short-serving (duration = unknown) newbie.

Volunteers are VERY hard to come by. Cherish them! Yes, they DO screw up (who doesn't) occasionally but usually the "fix" is less painful than having to do it initially yourself. Let them help (delegation of responsibility must happen if you're not to be thought of as a micro-manager) and get out there and play a bit more!

What if "they" are holding "us" back? What I mean is, we have a few board members & course volunteers that cannot be persuaded to evolve with the rest of us/the sport/community. I'm talking about prioritizing phone #s over email addresses, Rolodex over database, MS Word flyers instead of Adobe, Club Web instead of social media, on-site cash registration vs pre-reg with digital payment.

It is true that it only takes a couple to spoil the bunch, so I am wondering how some of you, that have been "they" for a long time have "fired" volunteers that continue to "help" the Club instead of stepping aside for someone younger & hungrier?

Or, in other words, they refuse to evolve, which creates dissension in our ranks, distracts us from important work, and keeps the Club from realizing our true potential.

Their time will pass, they will fade away soon enough.

Then, you will be the one "holding back" the club by insisting on using old-fashioned methods like database, Adobe, social media, and pre-reg with digital payment, using a clunky old piece of technology you call a smart phone.

I'll admit that i was one of They that embraced cash registration and club website(with a forum like DGCR) but I've seen the light and now use online payments and social media to its full potential.

Our Board members(DisCap) serve three year terms and then could be replaced with They who are "more evolved", as you put it. Or you can be persistent, patient and creative with how you present these new ideas and hope they see the light.

Mr. Yellowfin,
A tough question for sure.

Their time will pass, they will fade away soon enough.

I'll admit that i was one of They that embraced cash registration and club website(with a forum like DGCR) but I've seen the light and now use online payments and social media to its full potential.

Thanks for the feedback. Please allow me to clarify that I do appreciate the current volunteers.

Among issues already described, they're also scaring off new volunteers by refusing to listen to new ideas...

I want the best of both worlds, historical context & youthful exuberance. How do I balance both?

Thanks for the feedback. Please allow me to clarify that I do appreciate the current volunteers.

Among issues already described, they're also scaring off new volunteers by refusing to listen to new ideas...

I want the best of both worlds, historical context & youthful exuberance. How do I balance both?

parliamentary process is where it's at.

Serious response.

Realize that all clubs (including the PDGA) have already heard about enough good ideas to fully utilize all available resources. So, you can't expect anyone to do anything more than they are now.

To have a chance, put together a team that will do all the extra work. Without requiring any changes on behalf of those who don't want to go along.

Perhaps you could set things up so the old guard can continue their ways and you can do the modern things. Maybe collect Paypal ahead of time and pay the cash for all the pre-reg players on site.

Focus on increasing, not on changing.

parliamentary process is where it's at.

Agreed, however, the key to an effective parliament is that each pull their own weight.

Serious response.

Realize that all clubs (including the PDGA) have already heard about enough good ideas to fully utilize all available resources. So, you can't expect anyone to do anything more than they are now.

To have a chance, put together a team that will do all the extra work. Without requiring any changes on behalf of those who don't want to go along.

Perhaps you could set things up so the old guard can continue their ways and you can do the modern things. Maybe collect Paypal ahead of time and pay the cash for all the pre-reg players on site.

Focus on increasing, not on changing.

Year 1 was listening. 2 was an attempt to blend old with new & bring the club up to current standards for "big" clubs. Year 3 will be policy setting & building infrastructure so year 4 can be our evolution.

The Club & volunteers must evolve, otherwise it's not even worth the effort to exist...

Very often, those geezers are the ones with time. The one extremely valuable resource, that is in vastly short supply, in the up and coming leaders. They have jobs and families that require significantly more dedication, than retired and established folks. I realize this is generalization, but I have found it to be often true. I have seen waves of very energetic groups looking to make "wise" sweeping changes to clubs. In two years they are often gone. You may think you have vastly better ideas, but I am sure they think their ideas are just as sound and often....not broken. Just because you do not get your way, it is not a reason quit helping run successful tournaments, leagues and a club. I am often outvoted in club matters. I think my ideas are superior....always.

As stated here, help where you can. The geezers will retire from the club or get tired of doing all the work. Folks that are willing to step up and run a club for a decade are VERY hard to find. Honestly, our club runs 8 or so tournaments, 3 to 4 leagues and a couple special events. Leadership is rarely in short supply, foot soldiers are.

Great question though.