• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

The previous post got me motivated(like i need any help there) so I grabbed some tools and headed out to the park to dodge the raindrops..........

Hole 8 got trimmed and cleared around the pin and i even managed to relocated a few pine saplings from the green. Mother Nature pitched in afterwards with a heavy downpour to water them in their new location.

picture.php

picture.php

DisCap is getting it on!!! We are THEY!! Broke ground at Steinmetz Park this week. Hole 1 being cut in below ( I couldn't figure out why the before pic won't display portrait like the picture was taken everywhere else i look at it it is right.)

Before
attachment.php

After
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20190522_194903[1].jpg
    20190522_194903[1].jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190522_173523.jpg
    20190522_173523.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 216
Been hand-cutting waterbars all over the mountain to help drain the spots on the course that were too wet last season. My hands look like the surface of the moon lol. Honestly so rewarding though, the dividends for drainage work are paid almost instantly- the next day you're walking on dry paths right after a rain! I love putting in sweat equity, it's such a rewarding pursuit.

Every time I read through this thread I'm just filled with pride in the craftsmanship, creativity and drive shown by all of you. This sport is in good hands! Cheers to you all and the great work you're doing!

Last edited:
You know what makes you feel good? A 12hr Disc Golf Work Day!
7200lbs of pavers (240) brought from Mayfield to J Park. 1.5hr ride
24 pavers brought out to each new hole that needed them.
All the tee signs cleaned and updated with new numbers on stickers.
Cleaned up a hyzer line on 19B.
I was there till 8:30. 😀😀
Thank You!! Greg Kurtz Gene Gierka Tim Jiardini Joe Jaskolka Mike Schwartz Tylër Jåmës Çøckcrøft Andrew Tighe Josh Weinstock

Spent the weekend helping my buddy design and install a new 9 hole private course on Saturday and helping get Tar River DGC ready for Spike Hyzer's Tar River Round-Up VIII PDGA event this weekend on Sunday.

So I am not sure if I count as "They" since both are private courses.

So I am not sure if I count as "They" since both are private courses.

Count it. I know a private course owner who constantly laments, "Someone really needs to fix this...." with the wistful hope that the "they" will be someone else.

Count it. I know a private course owner who constantly laments, "Someone really needs to fix this...." with the wistful hope that the "they" will be someone else.

If I lived closer David, I would help you any time you needed it.

Haha.. Truth man..

There's only so much I can do pre tourney.. And of course I don't think about it most of the rest of the year. I ran chainsaw mostly for a couple days this time, we had a hell of a storm this winter. Lots of snags and widow makers.. Had a buddy come over and help with a real dirty one...

...but the teepad to #12 has been an issue for years.. No dirt or small rock to fix it anywhere close. I need to fill some 5 gallon buckets (make that half fill) and haul it in to repair it of course it's almost as far as it could be away and I can't get a wheelbarrow in there.. Here's to hoping "they" will show up and do it for me before "I" twist my ankle on it again.

Haha.. Truth man..

There's only so much I can do pre tourney.. And of course I don't think about it most of the rest of the year. I ran chainsaw mostly for a couple days this time, we had a hell of a storm this winter. Lots of snags and widow makers.. Had a buddy come over and help with a real dirty one...

...but the teepad to #12 has been an issue for years.. No dirt or small rock to fix it anywhere close. I need to fill some 5 gallon buckets (make that half fill) and haul it in to repair it of course it's almost as far as it could be away and I can't get a wheelbarrow in there.. Here's to hoping "they" will show up and do it for me before "I" twist my ankle on it again.

If I meet up with you in October, I'll show you the videos of how we deal with widowmakers on private courses here in central NC.

Marked 3 holes for clearing at Mt. Zion in Ironwood MI. A big "they" guy Bill came out and chainsawed the marked trees, and pulled brush off of one. I got the rest of it pulled, and walah! Three new holes bringing the total up to 12.

I have two more baskets in place, and plan on finishing up clearing and moving baskets to round out a full back nine in the coming month.

Here's the new hole 5 - a nice hard turnover midrange RHBH into the hillside.

Attachments

• IMG952739.jpg
    IMG952739.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 36
I didn't put this story on FB, because it sounds like I'm bragging. But in this forum, I think you guys will take it in context.

I play a lot at a local course about 10 miles from my house. It's in a small town in AL called Adamsville, population around 4,500. "They" cut the grass every couple of weeks. The first 4 holes are around an open field surrounding the Senior Citizen's center, so no one besides the disc golfers would mind if it grew too high. If I were in charge of maintenance, I might be tempted to let some of this work slide since I never see DGers during the day. But still, it stays in really nice shape most of the time.

Had a vacation day recently, so I was able to go and play during a weekday, which is not common. I saw "them" cutting the grass and doing the weed eating. I knew it would take them a while, so I finished my round and ran over to the convenience store a few blocks away. Spent $9 buying 2 for $3 Powerades and went back and handed one to each guy, and thanked them for cutting the course. Told them how I was new to the sport myself, and how I was teaching a few local kids at the same time. Told them we were usually there in the evenings, so they probably didn't see us, so I wanted them to know that their work was appreciated. You could tell from the looks on their faces that this isn't a common thing for them.

A couple of weeks later I was out there practicing throwing a couple of bags at a time into the field, trying to increase my velocity and distance by throwing harder while maintaining form. That meant occasionally I would pour on the power and a disc would fly in the wrong direction and fly into the road. A city maintenance truck drove by before I could get to it. They stopped the truck, got out and picked up my disc, and threw it back to me. Sometimes showing a little bit of appreciation works! I didn't want to get anything back from them - I just wanted them to know that their hard work wasn't wasted. They don't seem to see anyone ever play on the course, so this was my way of letting them know it did get used, and to provide a bit of assistance too.

I didn't put this story on FB, because it sounds like I'm bragging. But in this forum, I think you guys will take it in context.

I play a lot at a local course about 10 miles from my house. It's in a small town in AL called Adamsville, population around 4,500. "They" cut the grass every couple of weeks. The first 4 holes are around an open field surrounding the Senior Citizen's center, so no one besides the disc golfers would mind if it grew too high. If I were in charge of maintenance, I might be tempted to let some of this work slide since I never see DGers during the day. But still, it stays in really nice shape most of the time.

Had a vacation day recently, so I was able to go and play during a weekday, which is not common. I saw "them" cutting the grass and doing the weed eating. I knew it would take them a while, so I finished my round and ran over to the convenience store a few blocks away. Spent $9 buying 2 for $3 Powerades and went back and handed one to each guy, and thanked them for cutting the course. Told them how I was new to the sport myself, and how I was teaching a few local kids at the same time. Told them we were usually there in the evenings, so they probably didn't see us, so I wanted them to know that their work was appreciated. You could tell from the looks on their faces that this isn't a common thing for them.

A couple of weeks later I was out there practicing throwing a couple of bags at a time into the field, trying to increase my velocity and distance by throwing harder while maintaining form. That meant occasionally I would pour on the power and a disc would fly in the wrong direction and fly into the road. A city maintenance truck drove by before I could get to it. They stopped the truck, got out and picked up my disc, and threw it back to me. Sometimes showing a little bit of appreciation works! I didn't want to get anything back from them - I just wanted them to know that their hard work wasn't wasted. They don't seem to see anyone ever play on the course, so this was my way of letting them know it did get used, and to provide a bit of assistance too.

A course I frequent abuts a community rec center and ice rink. Most of the guys that maintain the place have no idea what DG is but did a decent job.

I saw one of the workers I didn't know mowing a few months ago and flagged him down to give him an ice cold beer (it was super hot out) and chat with the card. We talked for a while about the course, the game, his job and how they make time for the course etc. We thanked him profusely, gave him another beer and went on our way.

I don't know if it had any effect, but I tell ya the mowing there has improved in a big way since and we see him out there cutting late all the time now. Maybe it's a coincidence but I like to think that people truly respond to being appreciated, edified and have their efforts validated- even if they don't love their job it can truly be a source of pride if those who benefit by it show their appreciation for the work done. Cheers to spreading the love!

I don't know if it had any effect, but I tell ya the mowing there has improved in a big way since and we see him out there cutting late all the time now. Maybe it's a coincidence but I like to think that people truly respond to being appreciated, edified and have their efforts validated- even if they don't love their job it can truly be a source of pride if those who benefit by it show their appreciation for the work done.

That's what I believe. I am not trying to bribe them into doing the weed eating around the baskets... but I did notice that it was done this time. It's not hard to imagine the workers thinking before that no one would notice if they skipped something. Now they know that someone will notice. They may not care very much, but that's another story. At least they know that their hard work counts for something.

Got done mowing hole 1 today, here's a nice pic. It's a big workout with a push mower but I actually really enjoy it, it feels like making an artistic masterpiece lol.

Got the ending hole mowed yesterday, and I'm gonna finish the rest of the course tomorrow.

Attachments

• 0723191542.jpg
    0723191542.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 33
Got done mowing hole 1 today, here's a nice pic. It's a big workout with a push mower but I actually really enjoy it, it feels like making an artistic masterpiece lol.

Got the ending hole mowed yesterday, and I'm gonna finish the rest of the course tomorrow.

Which ski area is that?

Also it's flat out mean you have to do fairways with a pushmower!

Which ski area is that?

Also it's flat out mean you have to do fairways with a pushmower!

Mt. Zion in Ironwood MI.

I feel ya haha. For years I had the course with many more bomber open holes that were fun, but they would never mow enough, now matter how much I asked. The end of 2017 I finally decided to make it a majority woods course and it's been a blessing in disguise.

Now I can get the course done in a day if I push hard with the push mower. BUT I've got a local bringing his rider today so that's nice.

Mt. Zion in Ironwood MI.

I feel ya haha. For years I had the course with many more bomber open holes that were fun, but they would never mow enough, now matter how much I asked. The end of 2017 I finally decided to make it a majority woods course and it's been a blessing in disguise.

Now I can get the course done in a day if I push hard with the push mower. BUT I've got a local bringing his rider today so that's nice.

I can relate. Whatever volunteers I can wrangle and I take care of Bighorn Ridge in Big Sky, MT almost exclusively with weed whackers due to the steep and rugged terrain. Community Org can mow some lower fields with their gator and pull behind but that's not particularly nimble and can't take much of a hill. Haven't posted much for pics this summer, just been crazy busy with travel, running leagues and tourneys, and work. Here's a few pics of THEY out crushing it...THEY have really turned this course around in the last 2 years.

Attachments

• 56A352AE-EFAE-4243-832B-6CBB92B1179F.jpg
    56A352AE-EFAE-4243-832B-6CBB92B1179F.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 9652559B-6F32-4189-8052-B5E496FB2C3E.jpg
    9652559B-6F32-4189-8052-B5E496FB2C3E.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 21
  • 6F7B9C99-93C2-4C27-9F6A-558F9627C7BC.jpg
    6F7B9C99-93C2-4C27-9F6A-558F9627C7BC.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 19