• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Identify my missing mystery innova plastic, win a disc.

ChampViking

Hi there, I need the help of the greater internet detective agency to help me solve a personal disc crisis. This forum appears to be the authority on disc matters. I have lurked on this site for disc shopping/choosing tips for short while, and joined specifically to have this issue addressed.

Background: I recently lost a disc through no fault of my own, and I believe it has been washed out into the ocean. I have now learned that this disc is integral to maintaining what marginal putting ability I currently have. I cannot identify this disc. I have been to my local shop and perused all available models to try and replace this disc, with no success. The local shop does have limited selection.

Specifics: This is an Innova disc. I am 100% certain of this. It had an Innova X-out stamp on the top where a regular stamp usually is located. I did not copy the serial number down before this disc was lost. There was nothing to indicate what model it was. This disc was purchased likely within the period of 2002-2005. I would describe it as mid-range in size, larger than my hydra putter, and smaller than a 174 blowfly. Distinct characteristics which lent itself particularly well to my turbo putting style:

1. sharp triangle edge, not rounded ala most putters. Top of disc angle nearly symetrical to bottom angle. This is the characteristic that is most distinct. Almost like a driver in sharp angle, however the wing width was much smaller than a typical driver, leading me to believe it is a mid range or putter. This characteristic made it travel fast while maintaining height, so I could turbo putt from a decent distance. Closest angle I could find to this in my local shop is an innova Kite, however the 175 star kite I purchased in an attempt to replace this disc has too fat/blunt of a triangle edge, not sharp enough angle. Not the same at all.

2. Wing width was much narrower than all drivers. Depth of rim I would consider to be shallow, certainly much shallower than a roc.

3. Solid color, not translucent like typical champion plastic. This leads me to believe it was not champion plastic.

3. Flat top. Not domey at all.

Terms of contest: Admittedly, this contest is totally subjective, and I am the sole adjudicator. I'm not interested in fairness, simply results, which are based on my memory of a recently lost disc. If I cannot find the exact disc, no one wins. If you can handle the terms of cost contest, fire away as much as you like.

Reward: Used Discraft Avenger ESP with ink. I will ship within U.S.

How should you enter? Post as much as you like with what disc you think it is, preferably with pics of underside of disc and horizontal edge view of disc. If no pics, you will just have to wait until I can go look at your disc suggestion from a local at my course or if there is one in the local shop to reconsider.

I am willing to answer any questions as best I can.

Well it's REALLY tough to help you out without being able to see the disc itself. But like you said its gone. This site should be able to help you figure out what it is. Pics and specs from just about every disc you can think of. you just might be able to find what it was in this list: http://www.discgolfsweden.se/discar...facturer=Innova/ Champion&DiscLine=-1&Type=-1

Were there any letters written in pen in the center of the disc on the bottom? like VL, TB etc.

From your description i think it might be an XD.

I am not sure if you said how it flew in there at all but that would be helpful. With the very little effort in here and without actually looking at any discs I am going to guess a stingray.

edit - I was thinking xd but I want to have a chance to win so i changed my guess.

If it wasn't for the diameter, I'd say it's an Aero, but since it seems to be a smaller dia., and has a dome, I'd say it's a Dart.

Danforth said:
If it wasn't for the diameter, I'd say it's an Aero, but since it seems to be a smaller dia., and has a dome, I'd say it's a Dart.

I think the dart was just put into production this year. he got this 2002-2005.

I examined an XD at the local shop. It had a change in the contour of the disc on the top of the disc between the wing and the main body of the disc (Flight plate?), which my disc did not have. Also, the edge of the XD was much too round. Not an XD.

I believe the Aero was also too round in the edge, but I will go back to the shop and take another look.

Edit: pen on underside of disc had worn off a long time ago if it was ever there.

Merv Griffin?

merv.gif

veganray said:
Stingray, Cobra, or Shark. I've got my $$ on Shark.

Yeah I was thinking Shark or Stinger, but since he's putting with it I'm leaning Shark as well.

Will we ever really know though?

Latest posts