• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Ignite the SPARK

Had a nice cold, windy day today and took the Spark out for a one disc round. I had a blast ripping it into 15-20 mph wind and watching fly straight with a nice fade at the end, like a Roc on a calm day. As others have said, it's not the longest disc in the bag, but it could easily handle most headwinds I'm likely to be playing in.

My first impressions were such that I thought this disc would be a great super windy control driver.

Good to hear someone has tested it out in those conditions. But I bet up their in minnesota the opto plastic was bit hard this time of year.

How does your opto Sparks fly now that they have gotten some wear on them? I don't throw mine that often, but when I do throw it I usually throw a "violent" type throw that crashes into the ground hard, spike hyzers, thumbers etc so it has started to break in a little bit. It still doesn't turn when I rip it flat, but when I put it on an anhyzer it doesn't instantly fight out of it like it used to do, I can shape some pretty cool lines with it now. It's a beautiful disc IMO

My recycled plastic in light weights are almost firebird like. The opt is so much more os and shorter.

I've been throwing my opto spark for about six months. I don't use it much but it has mellowed out slightly. For me the spark is a mini Spirit. I'm not sure if I can throw it 300' but I can work some good lines with it.

I have been very impressed with the recycled sparks that I have been testing so far this off-season. Overstable, but much less so than the Opto sparks. To the point where it is basically a different mold, these recycled sparks fly much like an Overstable tee bird out of the box (possibly with a little lacking glide) though as they break in (which the recycled plastic does at a reasonable rate) they become a reliably straight fairway driver that will finish on a hyzer. If a person had the patience to beat several of these in a lot I could see the spark in all plastics, weights and degrees of wear forming the whole of a fairway driver lineup in a bag.

A word of warning, Green recycled is basically camouflage... don't buy it as you will never find it!

Recently bought an opto Spark, not sure if I got a freak or not but mine is very workable, flies close to 7/4/0/3, and I'm using it on a number of shots that I would use anything from a XXX to an FD2 or Teebird for. I'm in the process of rebuilding/simplifying my bag, but I'm fine with an OS-Stable fairway mold and an Stable-Understable mold as opposed to trying to do it all with a Teebird, assuming I can break each into a number of flights.

Curspider, have your recycled Sparks been losing HSS or LSS first? Did they mold up as flat topped as the opto? That's a big selling point for me. Can anyone comment on the stability of Frost Sparks vs a XXX or fresh opto Felon?

The moonshine frost sparks are stupid os. The two I ordered I sent one back. Briefly tested the other one and it will likely be a wall hanger.

Again, the recycled sparks are different animal. More glide less os. These can get away from you as the opto stuff just wants to be an os workhorse.

The National Weather Service issues a wind advisory for my region today, winds of 25 mph and gusts up to 50 mph, so I thought, "lets get out the Spark and see what it's got."

Wow, what a champ - it just laughed at the gusts and flew straight with fade.

Other discs that shone in these winds were the Boatman and the Bard, but they more or less flew straight with tiny fade. Took my Hornet out and it did well too. Oh, and for putting, the Harp was excellent.

My Spark is such a beefcake, love it on days like this.

Ricky Wysocki told me the Spark mold has been "re-tweaked". While I like it my 169g, pale yellow, Opto Spark is not nearly as overstable as others have indicated theirs are. I would like a beefier Spark to complement it. I'd try a heavier one but not if they've been tweaked to be less overstable. Any info?

The adjusted mold is almost surely going to be less overstable. I held a recycled one at a local shop and it was domey and had a sharper wing. My Opto was super flat, like a fast harp.

My Opto is super flat. If Feldberg was behind making the mold less overstable I'll slap him so hard that when he wakes up his clothes will be back in style.

When I see pros throw the Spark in youtube videos it's always the Recycled instead of the Opto. If they tweaked the Spark mold then I'm guessing that they are making it less like the XXX and more like the recycled Spark

Ricky Wysocki told me the Spark mold has been "re-tweaked". While I like it my 169g, pale yellow, Opto Spark is not nearly as overstable as others have indicated theirs are. I would like a beefier Spark to complement it. I'd try a heavier one but not if they've been tweaked to be less overstable. Any info?

I'd actually be interested in a less OS version to try out. I was not that interested in the original as I have so many OS discs already that I like.

I've got an Opto and a Recycled, both flew less OS for me than what seems to be the consensus from the rest of the thread. The Opto I'd put at 8/4/-0.5/3, and the Recycled something closer to -1/2 or even -1.5/2 on a hard rip.

I don't know how this works with an entire mold retweak, but if they could keep at least one plastic option to be Felon OS, I can see this being a popular mold for Trilogy throwers who are looking to cycle a single fairway mold.

I have noticed that the Spark seems to lose HSS as it breaks in along with its LSS, so that may be something to keep in mind.

I have two of the first run opto sparks, they start out VERY beefy and have a small comfortable rim. From what I understand the newer ones have some turn to them.

Beefier Spark is called XXX. ;)

I really like the tweak idea. At least the first run Opto was pretty damn close to XXX, definitely more OS than a Felon. So I think it was more OS than it was meant to be and what Feldie wanted his name on.

This raises a question if they rushed with the release. Kinda embarrasing when they have to tweak two (EMAC) signature molds so close to each other. At least this time they sticked with one name and mold in the end.

Based on profile pics, I suppose you can tell the Stability of a Spark from the nose of the rim. Blunt ones are beefy while sharper ones are straighter.

I thought Dave wanted the Spark to be the Lat64 version of an Eagle X mold. Wasn't that how he was describing it in his early in the bag videos. To me the Spark came out a lot more overstable than a Champ Eagle X. Maybe that's why they tweaked the mold.

Latest posts